Log ASRock deskmini X300W P2000

Gzerod

What's an ITX?
Original poster
New User
Jul 15, 2023
So I'm looking at adding a gpu to my Deskmini. I have a Quadro P2000 collecting dust that I was hoping to use.
System specs
ASRock x300 deskmini motherboard.
5700g stock clocks with XFR enabled
L9a cooler
48GB DDR 3400 1.2v (32+16gb dimms)
1tb Samsung 861 nvme
2x 512GB Samsung Sata SSDs
Ax201 Intel WiFi

At the moment I am hoping to use an old dell 230w 19.5v mobile workstation power brick to replace the stock 120w 19v adapter that came with the deskmini.
Then use the extra power available from the adapter to power some buck converters to provide supplemental 5v and 12v to a m.2 to PCIe 4x adapter.
I know that the card will post fine with this setup with an external PSU but I wanted something small I could hide in the case.

I'm also planning to use a small solid state replay hooked up to one of the fan headers to cut power to the buck converters when the system is off (I have the second fan header set to 100% in bios so it should reliably set off the relay) to prevent it from keeping the card powered when the system is off.

I just wanted to check in and see if anyone here could with more experience could see any glaring problems with this plan.

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
No need for the 5V for the most part. And you can buy 'off-the-shelf' 19V to 12V adapters (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001338601796.html) which will make it much easier.

You'll lose some performance by having mismatched SODIMMs, too.

Where is the Quadro being housed? Won't fit in the X300 stock enclosure with all those SSDs, so are you going external (in which case, I'd consider OCuLink so it's removable), or custom case?

Will be checking back to see how you go :)