News ASL does it again: single slot low profile 1650

Last edited:

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
unfortunately they send me a wrong full height bracket. so just give me a few days for a short review...

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
here comes my short review...

1) appearance

the card is well build and uses a die-cast aluminum / copper heatsink with a tiny blower fan as you would find it in some high end notebook PCs

size comparison with a GIGABYTE GTX1650 OC 4G GDDR5 and GAINWARD GTX1080

2) performance

to my surprise the ASL GTX1650 LP SS 4G GDDR5 performs pretty much the same compared to the GIGABYTE, despite the ASL is a non overclocked card!

ASL GTX1650 LP SS 4G GDDR5

GIGABYTE GTX1650 OC 4G GDDR5

3) thermals

despite that small heat sink, the ASL card does not throttle and keeps reasonable temperatures considering its small size
  • ASL GTX1650 LP SS 4G GDDR5: max 82°C
  • GIGABYTE GTX1650 OC 4G GDDR5: max 73°C
note: the heatsink of the ASL card does get very hot. I advise not to have any cables touching the card in your build.

4) noise

while the GIGABYTE keeps almost silent under load, the ASL card is clearly audible but not annoying IMHO. Some CPU coolers can get louder under load and if you have it sitting inside your case it will dampen the noise. Pro for the ASL: the fan curve seems well tuned. In idle the fan is absolutely silent and only starts to go to 100% after reaching 80C.
  • ASL GTX1650 LP SS 4G GDDR5: max 45dB @ 30cm
  • GIGABYTE GTX1650 OC 4G GDDR5: max 38dB @ 30cm

Conclusion: if you need the most powerful single slot & low profile card available to date, there is no reason not to go with the ASL GTX1650

note: all tests done on an open air bench, so you might experience different results if you put the card in your case.

Last edited:

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
If you don't mind me asking, but is it possible to see inside of the card with the front plate off?

well, I could not take off the heatsink cover because it is not only hold by 8 screws but also glued with some thermal double sided tape. with enough force you could probably remove it but I did not want to damage the cover.

hope this helps:

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
another LP & SS GTX1650 appeared, with only 145mm even shorter than the ASL

the cooling solution on that one looks less effective to me compared to the ASL and it might be factory UC/UV as the description says it is a 60W card...

Reactions: Revenant

liontender

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Dec 31, 2020
Thanks for sharing that this card exists! I have tried buying one directly from the Taobao seller to the US via Taobao reshipping with the highest number of customer ratings -- we will see what happens and if it actually arrives and/or works in my OptiPlex 3020 (w/ scavenged 315W PSU). Looks like if it does work, I should be careful to make sure cables aren't touching the heat sink, a tall order in my system's case but we'll see…

That jd.com listing for the Song Rui(?) Zeus low-profile single-slot cards is interesting -- they have a 1050, 1050 Ti, and 1650, if I read correctly, apparently in some kind of pre-sale currently and available for sale in early January. The pricing looks comparable to the list prices of the ASL G1502/G1504 which I can no longer find (1050 at 899 CNY, 1050 Ti at 1050Ti). The 60W, 145mm Song Rui(?) Zeus 1650 is listed at 1599 CNY, which makes it more expensive than what I found on Taobao for the ASL GTX1650 War Knife.

It's interesting to see there is more evolution in the low profile single slot category!

Reactions: morj and Phuncz

liontender

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Dec 31, 2020
Brief update -- the ASL GTX 1650 seems to work fine in my OptiPlex 3020 (w/ 315W PSU installed). I asked MSI Afterburner to overclock it and it looks like there's an average of 144MHz of overhead for overclocking in my setup.

There's a definite buzzy fan noise whenever it's on, and it's pretty snug up against a power cable feeding the mainboard -- hopefully okay with the GPU heat sink. But there's plenty of physical room in the case (I was a little worried about length and it's fine).

I've used it very very lightly since it just arrived today. Total shipping time was about 3 weeks. This was about 3 days to the local Taobao warehouse, about a week packing and shipping via air freight to the US west coast, a few days in LAX post-customs, and a week to the US east coast via FedEx SmartPost. Comes with the original manufacturer box, nicely packed, with low-profile bracket preinstalled and with a spare high-profile bracket, and the shop seems to have thrown in a bonus DVI-to-DisplayPort cable that doesn't fit in the box.

NVIDIA's drivers work fine (installed via the GeForce experience app). GPU-Z info here: . MSI Afterburner shows system telemetry just fine and is happy to try boosting clock speeds (GPU or memory). I cannot discern a difference between 20% fan speed and 100%...

Reactions: morj

GREENPROTAG

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Aug 19, 2019
Brief update -- the ASL GTX 1650 seems to work fine in my OptiPlex 3020 (w/ 315W PSU installed). I asked MSI Afterburner to overclock it and it looks like there's an average of 144MHz of overhead for overclocking in my setup.

There's a definite buzzy fan noise whenever it's on, and it's pretty snug up against a power cable feeding the mainboard -- hopefully okay with the GPU heat sink. But there's plenty of physical room in the case (I was a little worried about length and it's fine).

I've used it very very lightly since it just arrived today. Total shipping time was about 3 weeks. This was about 3 days to the local Taobao warehouse, about a week packing and shipping via air freight to the US west coast, a few days in LAX post-customs, and a week to the US east coast via FedEx SmartPost. Comes with the original manufacturer box, nicely packed, with low-profile bracket preinstalled and with a spare high-profile bracket, and the shop seems to have thrown in a bonus DVI-to-DisplayPort cable that doesn't fit in the box.

NVIDIA's drivers work fine (installed via the GeForce experience app). GPU-Z info here: . MSI Afterburner shows system telemetry just fine and is happy to try boosting clock speeds (GPU or memory). I cannot discern a difference between 20% fan speed and 100%...
What was your total cost for product + import shipping?

GREENPROTAG

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Aug 19, 2019

liontender

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Dec 31, 2020
$237.67 -- of that, $217.51 is the product (1299 CNY plus tax) and $20.16 is shipping.

Another Taobao vendor sells the same product for 1099 CNY but had a lot less seller feedback (5 reviews and 0 successful transactions vs. 60 reviews & 17 successful transactions with the seller I picked).

faksnima

What's an ITX?
New User
Mar 2, 2021
I'm interested in both the ASL and the SR - do you guys think they will "just fit" into the last pci-e slot on an Inwin Chopin?

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
in case someone is still looking for a GTX1650 LP Single Slot card, Yeston just released one with GDDR6.

The ASL one is also currently available again on JD and TaoBao, but more expensive and with GDDR5.

Last edited:

CastiRag

What's an ITX?
New User
Nov 24, 2022
Does anyone know from where I can find a replacement fan for this card? The included fan on mine was Rqet (Ren Quan Electronics Technology Co.), no mention of voltage or amperage on label, has 3 screw points in a triangle formation.