Other Apple Announces Mac Mini Refresh

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
I just want the eGPU & external storage solutions to match both the design & footprint of the new SG mini, for a neat little stack on the desktop...

Reactions: NinoPecorino

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
I just want the eGPU & external storage solutions to match both the design & footprint of the new SG mini, for a neat little stack on the desktop...

I don’t. That EGPU would thermal throttle so freaking fast

The module containing the MXM GPU would be thicker than the Mac mini, to allow for a proper blower to exhaust the air out the back...

But neither of us REALLY know if the GPU would throttle or not, as this is a hypothetical eGPU chassis...

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015

So, possible new Apple TB3 Display...!?!

The Mac mini is 7.7" across, so that looks to be a 27" monitor; so probably a 5K, since that is what Apple has in the 27" 5K iMacs & the 27" 5K LG UltraFine monitors...

I would also venture to guess that the iMacs will get a redesign to match, as it seems all & any Apple product with a display is getting the uniform bezels / rounded corners look...

Reactions: Phuncz

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Would love to see a refresh of both the monitors LG made for Apple the last time around. Thin bezel 21.5" would be a perfect travel monitor (if you could take the stand off).

VisualStim

Master of Cramming
Mar 6, 2017
Would love to see a refresh of both the monitors LG made for Apple the last time around. Thin bezel 21.5" would be a perfect travel monitor (if you could take the stand off).

I rather see them cheaper like they were in the beginning.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
I rather see them cheaper like they were in the beginning.

I also lament the rise in cost of material goods, but that is called inflation, shitte gets more & more expensive as time goes on...

When I was a kid, a dollar would get me a soda, a full-size candy bar, a comic book & change back; these days the same would run at least six or seven bucks...

When I was a punk in my early twenties, I raged at the cost of a sack of weed going from 30 bucks to 35 bucks, and was quite vocal on "when is it gonna come back down to 30 bucks...?!?" Guess what...? IT... NEVER... DID...!!!

The point here is, as time goes on, the price of stuff goes up...

Thanks, AppleBama...! ;^p

VisualStim

Master of Cramming
Mar 6, 2017
I also lament the rise in cost of material goods, but that is called inflation, shitte gets more & more expensive as time goes on...

When I was a kid, a dollar would get me a soda, a full-size candy bar, a comic book & change back; these days the same would run at least six or seven bucks...

When I was a punk in my early twenties, I raged at the cost of a sack of weed going from 30 bucks to 35 bucks, and was quite vocal on "when is it gonna come back down to 30 bucks...?!?" Guess what...? IT... NEVER... DID...!!!

The point here is, as time goes on, the price of stuff goes up...

Thanks, AppleBama...! ;^p

that LG monitor in 5K was only $600 and then they bumped the price to $1200 i believe

all-in

Average Stuffer
Feb 20, 2017
them heatpipes, yeah baby...the heatsink that gets all the focused blowing from the asymmetrical (= sound optimized) blower...this is CPU cooling in a compact height p0rn...

VisualStim

Master of Cramming
Mar 6, 2017
imac and imac pro are, apple never said anything. you can swap the CPUs but you void your warranty and the imac boards are just as small if not smaller than the macbooks

AMv8-1day

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 13, 2017
It's definitely a desktop part. All of the CPU's have been easily identified off of their specs. I could certainly see Apple purposely making it incredibly difficult to swap it, but they aren't just going to solder on a socketed CPU just because.
I3-8100
i5-8500
i7-8700
Edit: Apparently they WOULD be that big of a dick.

Is it possible to upgrade the processor in the Aluminum "Unibody" Mac mini models?
No. As first determined by MacminiColo -- and confirmed by hands-on observation -- the processors in all Aluminum "Unibody" Mac mini models are soldered to the motherboard and upgrades are not possible after purchase.
Ref: https://everymac.com/systems/apple/...essor-upgrade-pci-slot-sd-card-slot-info.html

Last edited: