Other Apple Announces Mac Mini Refresh

AMv8-1day

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 13, 2017
that was 4 years ago. we wont know till ifixit or something actually breaks the warranty sticker
How useful that EveryMac linked directly to that page from their 2018 FAQ section.
Did you see someone confirm it was soldered somewhere else?

all-in

Average Stuffer
Feb 20, 2017
I hope the snazzylabs guy is joking when he says he doesn’t know what the speaker for troubleshooting chimes is for..

Reactions: owliwar

all-in

Average Stuffer
Feb 20, 2017
Reactions: Blakfetha

Blakfetha

Caliper Novice
Aug 20, 2018
No they aren’t...
Those are 65W coffee lake CPUs with desktop-grade frequencies in a BGA variant...that’s the whole reason this release is awesome and unexpected based on the Mini track record...

Probably these ones:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12632/intel-core-b-processors-8th-gen-bga-with-65w-tdp

plus a custom i3-8100B (frequencies don’t match with the i3-8100h but with the i3-8100)
Ah, didn't know those existed, indeed that would make them much better. Thanks for the correction.

all-in

Average Stuffer
Feb 20, 2017
Here around 2:00 to 5:00 the guy shows sustained 6 cores x 3.9GHz (all cores turbo spec like i5-8500) at 100% at 96-97C no throttling (he tried several minutes) and gentle blower sound; this is on the i5-8500B (base 3.0 boost 4.1). The i7-8700B (base 3.2, boost 4.6, HT, all cores turbo 4.3) is available as a CTO option from apple.

Nice.

Last edited:

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Better not to have an on package parasite GPU to steal cooling and power from the CPU half in a system that can use 4 external Vega56 gpus anyway..

Kaby Lake G would have allowed me to play WoW without needing an eGPU..

Someone needs to come out with an eGPU (probably using a MXM format GPU card, RX580 & Vega 56 options) that matches the design & footprint (it would be taller, of course) of the new SG mini...

Another module for external storage (four 2280 M.2 NVMe SSDs & RAID controller)...

I could also see a Time Capsule / Network hub (3.5" HDD & four 10Gb Ethernet ports, three LAN & one WAN)...

And finally, a nice audio I/O (similar to the one in the above video w/ two mic preamps), I would also add a USB-C for video IN; this would be a great module for Streamers...

All the modules will be of the same dimensions as the new SG mini, but some modules may be taller for cooling...

One could build up a pretty sweet little stack of five components (with main monitor off eGPU & secondary monitor off of the integrated GPU / HDMI port on SG mini), making a complete DCC (Digital Content Creation) workstation...!

Last edited:

Zuuk

Average Stuffer
Apr 17, 2016

Zuuk

Average Stuffer
Apr 17, 2016
Kaby Lake G would allow me to play WoW..

Someone needs to come out with an eGPU (probably using a MXM format GPU card, RX580 & Vega 56 options) that matches the design & footprint (it would be taller, of course) of the new SG mini; and another module for external storage (four 2280 M.2 NVMe SSDs & RAID controller)...

While not the same footprint, it suites the theme IMO, stacked ontop of eachother. Vega 56 is a no go, but lesser cards would work.
Zotac AMP box mini -->

https://egpu.io/forums/thunderbolt-enclosures/zotac-amp-box-mini-review-budget-friendly/

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
While not the same footprint, it suites the theme IMO, stacked ontop of eachother. Vega 56 is a no go, but lesser cards would work.
Zotac AMP box mini -->

https://egpu.io/forums/thunderbolt-enclosures/zotac-amp-box-mini-review-budget-friendly/

Sonnet has a decent little eGPU, which from the size looks like it is MXM format GPU card based...

https://www.sonnettech.com/product/egfx-breakaway-puck.html

But only with RX560 or RX570 GPUs...

For me, a RX580 w/ 8GB RAM would be minimum, with a Vega 56 w/ 8GB HBM2 preferred...

Maybe I might just wait to see what the new modular Mac Pro brings, maybe the WX9100 would be an option...!

all-in

Average Stuffer
Feb 20, 2017
Am I the only one that worries for the surrounding components ? It must be hot as hell inside, even the chassis might be hot. SSD and memory modules won't live a long life if it runs likes that for too long.

I'm also worried for use in summer at this point...

We have no evidence those temps read by sensors embedded in the CPU reflect the surrounding temps within the case...for what it’s worth:
- RAM is free floating at an angle over the CPU, within an airy cage
- SSD’s flash modules are on the front, not adiacent to the CPU area
- SSD’s controller (T2 ARM coprocessor) is on the opposite side relative to the CPU; T2 is also used for HEVC encoding (only 8b) and decoding (8b/10b) in certain apps, and many other things, it’s a good thing it’s on the opposite side

If these are really meant for running 24/7 in clusters (as Apple marketing dared to imply on stage), not sure it would be easy to kill one at home...

VisualStim

Master of Cramming
Mar 6, 2017
It's going to be a hot little pancake that's for sure.

https://egpu.io/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/2018-mac-mini-mantiz-venus-wx-9100-egpu-prime95.png

Prime95 for less than 10 minutes and we have a "gentle" 100C on the CPU package.

I really like Apple's offerings with these new releases tho. Macbook Pro 15" with a Vega 20 GFX chip being the one I have high expectations for, probably going to be too salty for an average joe like myself tho.

Got a link to this thread?

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
We have no evidence those temps read by sensors embedded in the CPU reflect the surrounding temps within the case...for what it’s worth:
- RAM is free floating at an angle over the CPU, within an airy cage
- SSD’s flash modules are on the front, not adiacent to the CPU area
- SSD’s controller (T2 ARM coprocessor) is on the opposite side relative to the CPU; T2 is also used for HEVC encoding (only 8b) and decoding (8b/10b) in certain apps, and many other things, it’s a good thing it’s on the opposite side

If these are really meant for running 24/7 in clusters (as Apple marketing dared to imply on stage), not sure it would be easy to kill one at home...

My assumption is from personal experience as an embedded systems engineer.

Also, Apple is pretty used to play at the limit of thermal meltdown. I remember a colleague MBP whose keyboard was utterly hot if stressed for too long....

all-in

Average Stuffer
Feb 20, 2017
They definitely favor sound over thermals...hope they struck the right balance with this new “new course” Mini...can’t complain much about my last 3 (2009, 2010 and 2014, all still used) but I do nothing sustainingly stressful...I maxed out the 2014 (i7 3.0Ghz + 16GB soldered) thinking it would be the last mini ever...now this...well my 2014 will be the last mini with 2.5” drive + removable pcie SSD (proprietary but fast and widely available on ebay)...I can do 1TB pcie + 4TB sata ssd all inside :)