Production Apex - 15L portable watercooled build

nero626

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Dec 8, 2016
Haha, those PSU cables. Not a fan of mune, either!

Build looks great, can't wait to see it conpleted!
Yeah those cables ughh, the stock cables were really stiff so I split them up into individual wires but they are just too long..

Anyone know of any good and quick custom cables? I've heard mixed things about cablemod and ensourced is not taking any order right now. might have to end up making my own? i feel like it's going to get tedious after a while and I certainly don't want to mess up the pin outs

Reactions: Soul_Est

nero626

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Dec 8, 2016
Well well well, the build is finally WORKING!! not quite done as I am still waiting for some custom cables, and I gotta make some side panels... but it booted and is running 100%!!

I still need to stress test it and take a look at the temps but so far so good.

Bunch of random photos I took along the way.. I will get a proper camera once everything is done.

Hermit2001

Trash Compacter
Apr 26, 2016
Nice setup! Really novel design.

That keyboard, what is it?

Also, are you leaving the stickers on the ball valve for any reason?

nero626

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Dec 8, 2016
Nice setup! Really novel design.

That keyboard, what is it?

Also, are you leaving the stickers on the ball valve for any reason?
That's a TEX yoda :)

There are actually stickers all over the place, both radiators, cpu block, gpu block, fittings... Yeah I should take them off haha

Reactions: Hermit2001

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com

Holy shit a Yoda. :eek: How can you own this and not post it here? :D

Reactions: nero626

nero626

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Dec 8, 2016
Looks awesome! What caps did you put on that?
the blank caps are from gateron, they are very thick and texture is nice, while costing only $30 from a group buy, the wasd are from signature plastics midnight set

I originally ordered another set of black on black set but the group buy went sour :\

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Blank is the way to go anyway ;)

I originally ordered another set of black on black set but the group buy went sour :\

Dang, and when I ordered my S60-X I specifically removed the Black on Black caps from the order. Only saved me 10 bucks or so, and I see people asking for caps like that all the time. Could've offset the cost much better if I got them :D

nero626

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Dec 8, 2016
Blank is the way to go anyway ;)

Dang, and when I ordered my S60-X I specifically removed the Black on Black caps from the order. Only saved me 10 bucks or so, and I see people asking for caps like that all the time. Could've offset the cost much better if I got them :D
I swear I was off the hook from the mech addiction, but as I look into new boards I just keep wanting more and more ffs

how are you liking your S60-X? it would be very interesting if they had a 75% version, after using my b.mini for over a year now I find its form factor to be just right, I just wish b.mini had QMK support coz its current firmware is usable but not great

Reactions: iFreilicht

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
how are you liking your S60-X?

A lot! Built it last August, it was my first mech and I'm still very happy with it.

Caps are NPKC PBT, the orange ones have been dyed with iDye poly. I did port the original firmware to QMK because I liked that better than TMK, but they now have official support for that.

it would be very interesting if they had a 75% version

Funny you should say that, Sentraq did tease like 10 different keyboards that they've got in the pipeline. The next one will be a 65%, so I'm sure if you're patient, you'll get the 75% you're waiting for :)

I swear I was off the hook from the mech addiction, but as I look into new boards I just keep wanting more and more ffs

I hear ya. Luckily I have very little money to spend on boards, so not much has flown into that yet. Next board will be an Atomic with hot-swappable switches and a CNC'd Aluminium case. PCB, firmware and switches are already done, now I'll just have to save up the ludicrous amount of money that the case will require :D

nero626

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Dec 8, 2016
I hear ya. Luckily I have very little money to spend on boards, so not much has flown into that yet. Next board will be an Atomic with hot-swappable switches and a CNC'd Aluminium case. PCB, firmware and switches are already done, now I'll just have to save up the ludicrous amount of money that the case will require :D

I'm waiting for your rgb button!! I'm sure they will sell quite well and should help fund your CNC case XD
coz I still don't have a power button on my machine LOL I need to short the pins every time I shut it down completely

Speaking of swappable switches, this was a project I worked on over a year ago but I kind of abandoned it due to lack of time (slowly became lack of interest), it was supposed to be an Atreus inspired board with custom trackball in the middle, now that I am almost done with this PC build I can probably go back to it..

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I'm waiting for your rgb button!! I'm sure they will sell quite well and should help fund your CNC case XD

Thanks man! Hopefully you're right, but personal and company resources are strictly divided. I'd rather the profits go to more projects that others can profit from, not just toys for myself. Maybe I'll do an IC for 10 of them to bring the cost down a little.

Speaking of swappable switches, this was a project I worked on over a year ago but I kind of abandoned it due to lack of time (slowly became lack of interest), it was supposed to be an Atreus inspired board with custom trackball in the middle, now that I am almost done with this PC build I can probably go back to it..

That is very cool, where'd you get the trackball from? Personally I'd really like to make a board with a Trackpoint like the Yoda, but it seems like nobody makes them anymore, so apart from getting an old Thinkpad there's no sources.

nero626

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Dec 8, 2016
Thanks man! Hopefully you're right, but personal and company resources are strictly divided. I'd rather the profits go to more projects that others can profit from, not just toys for myself. Maybe I'll do an IC for 10 of them to bring the cost down a little.

That is very cool, where'd you get the trackball from? Personally I'd really like to make a board with a Trackpoint like the Yoda, but it seems like nobody makes them anymore, so apart from getting an old Thinkpad there's no sources.
I think massdrop once had the trackpoint module from TEX but I'm not sure if they still sell them.. could try contacting TEX directly.

I spent a lot of time looking for different trackball modules on alibaba and I've finally found a seller with an MOQ of 2 units, ~$15 each, and not a giant 50mm+ ball, specs:

http://www.super-ele.com/Images/UpFile/2010819151240199.pdf

nero626

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Dec 8, 2016

X hrs of draining and cleaning and 3000 miles of flying and redoing the loop, here it is up and running again!!

Hand carried this without much trouble, the guy at the customs was like "dang is that your computer did you build that?" Made my day XD

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
That looks amazing. I really like how you made the blue USB cables part of the design instead of trying to hide it.