Production Apex - 15L portable watercooled build

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
I really like this idea, huge fan of it already to be honest kinda jealous that I haven't thought of something like this, granted I'm not very good or good at all at modeling so coming up with something like this would be an impossible task for someone such as myself

nero626

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Dec 8, 2016
I really like this idea, huge fan of it already to be honest kinda jealous that I haven't thought of something like this, granted I'm not very good or good at all at modeling so coming up with something like this would be an impossible task for someone such as myself
I'm very new at modeling too, I picked up sketchup just for this project, it was surprisingly intuitive to use, although I have some background in autocad and solidworks (not really good at either), and to be fair I just downloaded a bunch of models online and tried to fit everything like lego pieces haha, you have a sweet parvum build going too!!

Reactions: Soul_Est

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Oct 20, 2016
That's a good point, for now I'm not planning on getting one yet, so far I'm pretty happy with my hyperx 3k 2.5", which is mounted behind the mobo tray, but then when m.2 ssd prices drop I might have to consider that.. :)
A few vent holes may benefit the rear motherboard cpu area as well... food for thought. Cheers.

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
I'm very new at modeling too, I picked up sketchup just for this project, it was surprisingly intuitive to use, although I have some background in autocad and solidworks (not really good at either), and to be fair I just downloaded a bunch of models online and tried to fit everything like lego pieces haha, you have a sweet parvum build going too!!
I need to try and do something like that lol and thank you! Its been a long journey lol

ImperialAlex

Trash Compacter
Sep 2, 2016
This looks great, I love the idea of the backplate/mount!

EDIT: Missed the handle, too, until Phuncz commented on it. I really like the idea of putting the handle on the 'rear' side (i.e. with mainboard and GPU I/O) where it's hidden away on the 'ugly' (because of the cable mess that will be there in use) side of the case

Last edited:
Reactions: Kwirek and ricochet

nero626

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Dec 8, 2016
Mini update 1/23/2017 - PSU mount

Initially I was going to mount the PSU using the fan inside the PSU onto the bottom plate directly, but it was too sketchy and hacky, so I sketched up a plate last night and got it cut today

I kind of figured out how to do counterbore with a laser cutter (raster x 20 times LOL), worked pretty well

Test fitting:

Perfect fit, the airflow shouldn't be hindered too much as the bottom ~15mm is basically the thickness of the fan, most of the original exhaust area is wide open

Behind the camera: I had to replace the triangle bracket with a hidden 90 deg bracket because it was interfering with the AC cable

Next: GPU mount

nero626

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Dec 8, 2016
Mini update 1/30/2017 - GPU mount

A package came from digikey!!

M2.5 x 10mm+4mm standoffs, took me forever to find 4mm thread length standoffs, as that is what they use for the existing screws without the EK backplate, otherwise they wouldn't screw in completely

Test fitting onto the waterblock - PERFECT

If this floating gpu isn't the definition of sexy I don't know what is. ;);) (I still need to remove those ugly brown protective films from the acrylic plates tho)

Unfortunately I will be very busy with midterms, assignments, labs and job interviews in the following 2 and so weeks, and I am still waiting on some 45 and 90 deg fittings, so I won't be able to continue on the build just yet.. But stay tuned!!

nero626

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Dec 8, 2016
If my experience with acrylic is anything to go by, you should remove the protective film at the last possible moment. Helps avoid scratches.
Yeah definitely, unfortunately I had to remove the film on one side during laser cutting due to the side facing the laser catching on fire, but otherwise I won't be removing the other film until the tubing and psu cables are installed, I am also thinking of sanding it to give it a frosted look.. but we'll see :thumb:

nero626

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Dec 8, 2016
REALLY GOOD PROGRESS TODAY - lots of photos, feast your eyes :cool:
- CPU and GPU waterblock mounted
- SSD, GPU, Mobo mounted to the case
- Figured out tube runs

To do:
- GET SHORTER PSU CABLES
- Run the tubes
- Fill the loop

this cooler is pretty beefy to be honest

the "jaystwocents method"

since I won't be using the pci brackets, I removed the attachment to make it more "floaty"

the mobo and cpu psu cables need to go.....

For some reason half of the photos got really compressed, probably by google cloud photos sync.. I will reupload them when I have a chance.

Last edited:

nero626

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Dec 8, 2016
Got some tubing done, just realized I am 1 compression fitting short LOL, I even ordered 1 extra just in case but turns out I counted 2 less..
Everything fits super tightly :thumb:
But my finger tips are full of blisters from turning these fittings :mad:

drain port at the back so I can just tilt the case 90 deg