Concept Portable Emulator Box PC

verke

Case Bender
Original poster
Jan 21, 2019
I've had the idea for awhile now to build a portable mITX PC for playing GC and PS2 games mostly. The components aren't really the issue here as I'll probably just get something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-3470 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($152.54 @ PCM)
Motherboard: MSI - Z77IA-E53 Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws X Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($61.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2 GB Superclocked Video Card
Total: $269.42
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-21 01:28 EST-0500

The main issues I'm not too sure how to get around are;

1. I want the monitor mounted onto the side of the case so its just one brick I can pick up and take with me, think like a really thick tablet.

2. For the reason above and because I imagine it'll be cheapest this way I'm going to need to make my own case with a mount for the monitor and I want to have a spot for a USB to Gamecube controller adapter coming out the back kind of like a second I/O slot. I also want it small as possible. My idea is to use plexiglass and cut it up with a dremel but I'm sure theres a better way.

3. I'm not sure this is possible and it's really not as important but I would like it to be battery powered/chargeable the same way a laptop is though I would not be surprised if this isn't practical. At the very least though I want the monitor and PC to be powered from the same source so theres only 1 cable I have to plug in.

If anyone can help me figure out the logistics for any of these I would be grateful.