CPU Anybody playing with VR Backpacks?

thewizzard1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jan 27, 2017
Haven't posted for a while, thought I'd start a discussion.

Anybody else pining for / playing with VR backpacks?

MSI's VR ONE Backpack - Soldered 8th gen i7 and MXM graphics

HP Z VR Backpack Workstation - Soldered processor and graphics

Zotac's VR GO Backpack PC - Socket 1151 200 or 300-series and MXM graphics

I snagged a VR GO on Ebay - Been having fun with it, and I'm looking to modify the battery connector to utilize aftermarket batteries. Rebuilt it with a 1060 and a 6700T.

Also snagged an HP battery / charger unit for the backpack straps on the cheap - This will be what I end up using as a donor.

Pics to come if there is interest.

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
I'd love to see the Zotac's upgrade. I was using an EN1070 for VR for a while, and it did well. I also dropped a 6700T into it.

Reactions: thewizzard1

thewizzard1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jan 27, 2017
@Revenant The board is almost identical, I have a few! It's a bit longer, has the top-mounted ports for VR, but also has a *very* different, much better heatsink arrangement - Here's a quick pic (not mine):

Reactions: Revenant

Desertf0x9

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 13, 2018
I've thought about doing a VR backpack rig, but then virtual desktop VR streaming with an oculus quest just destroyed that need. You can stream desktop vr games pretty smoothly and not have to worry about any wires whatsoever.

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
@Revenant The board is almost identical, I have a few! It's a bit longer, has the top-mounted ports for VR, but also has a *very* different, much better heatsink arrangement - Here's a quick pic (not mine):

Those fans also look quite a bit thicker as well.