Advice B360-PIO Noctua NH-L9x65

milesvw

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Dec 20, 2022
I have been putting off my B360-PIO build because I already had a Th310C. Now that Steamdeck OS (HoloISO) is a very nice thing, and a friend is thinking of a backpack VR rig (my idea is a 20-40v battery and 2 DC-DC stepdown, one for motherboard, one for a 150-200w GPU).

The problem has been the wacky slim heatsink mounting and backplate. My rough measurements put it at 88.5mm x 30mm.

I got to looking at an NH-L9x65 I recently salvaged and noticed the mounting mechanism could be trivially modified with 4 holes, without preventing it from being used again on regular motherboards.

Alternatively a pair of simple flat metal straps with 3 holes could be produced, so the originals are left pristine (they are beautifully nickel plated after all.)

The NH-L9x65 seems to have centered posts at 83mm apart. There is also a generous slop allowance, so I might be able to offset the "studs" by 3mm on a piece of 2mm stock and everything should work very well. Alternatively I could 3D print something, and if it works out use it as a drilling guide for metal version. (I do wish something like the Jiushark JF13K dual 120mm 98mm Z height would fit though 🤣)

Last edited:

milesvw

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Dec 20, 2022
The metal plates went OK, except I wound up with 3mm thick (1/8"), I picked up some Nylon standoffs to reduce the height, they are reasonably priced locally at $0.35.

The real problem is the thread pitch on the Spring loaded nut. I can't tell what it is, neither .50 .70 .80 pitch, and its not a "standard" pitch either.

I gave up and used M3 heat set inserts as spacers/couplers/spring locators. Not ideal, but functional.

Last edited: