Any hints as to the next KMPKT product?

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I would (and surely many others) like some hints, if possible, as to the next PSU. Size, capabilities, everything you will say, @Kmpkt , I will eat it up.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
The next power based product will be the KMPKT Merge that will allow you to synchronize two AC-DC power supplies into a single input. Will hopefully have more information on my heatsink soon as I am hoping to have assembly and testing done by the end of the month. I am also working on a new cabling accessory that should be pretty popular.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
The next power based product will be the KMPKT Merge that will allow you to synchronize two AC-DC power supplies into a single input. Will hopefully have more information on my heatsink soon as I am hoping to have assembly and testing done by the end of the month. I am also working on a new cabling accessory that should be pretty popular.

OOOOOOOO AHHHHHHH

D

DelUser6216

Naavjames

Trash Compacter
Mar 17, 2018

Be still my beating heart. Guess I’ll have to spend a little less on my trip to Greece to budget for these new toys.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017

I'm working on a project that requires dual HDPlex 80W PSUs. Please release this within a few months so I don't have to use mini-boxes' unit....

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
What's the voltage range and max wattage the Merge will be able to handle, @Kmpkt?

Please make it 12v capable!

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
As of right now the Merge may be getting baked into the Dynamo 360 which would make it 16-24V. Are you looking for a unit to run two 80W AC-DC units on? If so you could quite safely use the PicoBox merge device. I have a couple of spares I can sell if you're keen.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
As of right now the Merge may be getting baked into the Dynamo 360 which would make it 16-24V. Are you looking for a unit to run two 80W AC-DC units on? If so you could quite safely use the PicoBox merge device. I have a couple of spares I can sell if you're keen.

Yeah, I have a picobox unit, but I want the KMPKT merge if it can do two 12v meanwell psus...

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Sorry for the thread necromancy, but is there any chance of a 350W/400W Dynamo Mini in the future?

Because of how HDPlex uses 19v instead of 12v, most likely not.
The 19-12v conversion on the dc-dc takes up a lot of space.
The reason Gury can do it is because:

1. He's using 12v

and 2. He doesn't have to comply with regulations or be certified like KMPKT does.

@Kmpkt I don't mean to bash your product line. Far from it.

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Yeah, 400W is out of the question. There are however improvements planned for the next version of the Mini that will hopefully increase overall rating of the unit significantly.

Legion

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 22, 2017
Yeah, 400W is out of the question. There are however improvements planned for the next version of the Mini that will hopefully increase overall rating of the unit significantly.

I think a 12v, 250w Mini could be a winner, should easily fit into the existing design with no need for 19-12v conversion.
Power it with: https://www.meanwell.com/Upload/PDF/GST280A/GST280A-SPEC.PDF
With 7nm products around the corner, I think 250w will net you a really nice power solution for future lower midrange builds with a small power footprint.
There is a clear gap in the market for a certified solution with a little more headroom than the Mini (in the same kind of footprint)
I fully understand these are relatively low volume parts and you cannot cover every base.
I do however feel someone will eventually see potential in this power bracket and footprint.

Talk it over with Larry ;)

Last edited:

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Any updates on heatsink? @Kmpkt

Currently in assembly. Hopefully will have it back soonish.

I think a 12v, 250w Mini could be a winner, should easily fit into the existing design with no need for 19-12v conversion.
Power it with: https://www.meanwell.com/Upload/PDF/GST280A/GST280A-SPEC.PDF
With 7nm products around the corner, I think 250w will net you a really nice power solution for future lower midrange builds with a small power footprint.
There is a clear gap in the market for a certified solution with a little more headroom than the Mini (in the same kind of footprint)
I fully understand these are relatively low volume parts and you cannot cover every base.
I do however feel someone will eventually see potential in this power bracket and footprint.

Talk it over with Larry ;)

I've discussed 12V with Larry and it's such a large shift for him I don't see it happening. In the future I am hoping that GaN AC-DC conversion will allow for highly efficient conversion from AC-DC in a reasonably priced package. I have ideas for a 12V based system at that point but realistically I see that as being a couple of years away yet. That being said I've recently tracked down an external AC-DC brick using GaN that has a rating of 200W, is 150mm x 55mm x 35mm in size and has 95%+ efficiency at both 12V and 19V which makes me very hopeful for the tech.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Currently in assembly. Hopefully will have it back soonish.

I've discussed 12V with Larry and it's such a large shift for him I don't see it happening. In the future I am hoping that GaN AC-DC conversion will allow for highly efficient conversion from AC-DC in a reasonably priced package. I have ideas for a 12V based system at that point but realistically I see that as being a couple of years away yet. That being said I've recently tracked down an external AC-DC brick using GaN that has a rating of 200W, is 150mm x 55mm x 35mm in size and has 95%+ efficiency at both 12V and 19V which makes me very hopeful for the tech.

Meanwhile people like @Thehack are beating you to it. You're going to have to transition at some point, and sooner is better than later.

Reactions: Andrew.J.Vigil

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
In all fairness, and I greatly respect what TheHack is doing, I don't think open frame supplies are a good solution for the average user or broader market. In the hands of the novice I would actually argue that open frame power supplies are dangerous. I also have no interest in selling non-rated/certified supplies to the public due to the liabilities that can incur.

In order for me to do 12V seriously I would need to have something as plug and play as the HDPlex solutions with a significant reduction in AC-DC converter size. If you look at the Bel 180W AC-DC open frame supplies (which aren't GaN) this gives you a bit of an idea of where I think these units are headed. This is ultimately what I am working towards longer term.