Power Supply Any electronic engineers here? Worked with GaN FETs?

pavel

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Sep 1, 2018
Hi Guys!

Are there any EE with power engineering background? Have experience using GaN FETs for power conversion in a real world product?

How close you think we are from getting them in common low voltage DC-DCs? What are your thought on them working in 48V to 12V DC PSUs, low voltage stages for CPUs and GPUs?

Since we now have up to 1000µF ceramic caps, you think it is possible to use them instead of electrolytic or film caps since switching frequencies will be way higher? ESR-wise they beat tantalum caps, thermals-wise too, can be reflow soldered unlike film caps.

What you think?

SashaLag

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2018
Just bumped this discussion, as I am a soon-to-be electronic engineer but my background is focused on digital system design... So I know nothing about this matter and if somebody has the knowledge, learning from is always beautiful!

Last edited:

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Alas, I do physics, but not electrical fields. I like them, I praise them, but they simply do not appeal. My father does embedded, my mother does power, but I, simply, don't do electrical.

Hopefully that was a good poem ._.

My mom used to work with power delivery with subways in China, but that was mostly AC-AC conversion. I do know a bit of electronics, but I am not skilled enough to know other things.

I'll ask my mom these questions next week when I see her. She'll probably be confused (technological terms are not quite great when translated to Chinese), but might provide some answers. Who knows.