Log Another uninteresting Meshlicious build (so far)

203Null

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Feb 16, 2021

My case will come in on Tuesday, 11th but I want to make this post a bit earlier to share some thoughts and get some idea​

SPEC (Most boring part of this build, basically average build of this forum):

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X
MOBO: Asus Rog Strix B550-I Gaming
RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x16GB 3200 CL16 (OCed from 2400 CL15, bought during the great DRAM crisis of 2017)
GPU: EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
CASE: SSUPD Meshlicious
COOLER: EKWB EK-AIO 280 D-RGB
PSU: Seasonic Focus SGX-650 (I know, I know. Can't get a better PSU rn)
STORAGE:
Samsung 980 Pro 2TB​
Samsung PM951 1TB​
Samsung 860 EVO 1TB​
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB​

I will use this thread to post some thoughts about this build and mods I will be doing down the road.

Somehow I managed to get a 3090 and 5950x at MSRP in 2021 before I can get my case, smh

Last edited:

203Null

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Feb 16, 2021

Mods that I planed:

1. Internal USB Hub
I went with B550i over X570i because I really want front panel USBC and 2.5GBE (and X570 wasn't in stock when I pulled the trigger). However, B550i simply just has too few USB ports to be practical.​
The plan is to use a 7 port USB 3.0 hub and connected it to the internal front panel USB 3.0 port on the mother board with a scuffed cable setup (USB 3.0 19p > 2x USB 3.0 19p > USB 3.0 Type A > USB 3.0 Micro)​
2. Internal DP and HDMI extension + 12V DC port
Same idea as the first mod but with DP and HDMI port. I will still be using the regular DP port with a 90 degree DP cable at home, but those two ports on the back mean I won't need to worry about it when I travel with this build (Whenever that becomes relevant again).​
(I don't have the case in hand yet but I bought a 0.25m extension for HDMI and 0.3m extension for DP)​
For the DC port, it will be used to power VR headsets like my Valve Index. There's an existing kit for this purpose already but it's been out of stock so I will just make one my own. It will be powered from a SATA power port and I can also use the 5v from that port to power my USB hub.​
3. Heat Sink on the back of 3090
3090 gets really hot on the back because of that juicy VRAM and sandwich layout of the Meshlicious surely doesn't help this situation either. To help it cools I will be using the 4 slot configuration, slap some heatsink on the back of the 3090, and then offset the GPU by 1 slot.​
I'm not sure how effective this will be so I bought two types of heatsinks.​
First, one is a purely passive heatsink (120x120x20mm) and relies on the airflow from the radiator fan, but I think power cables might block the airflow and render the heatsink useless.​
Another one is an active heat sink with an 8cm fan on top (80x80x15mm total) and will try to pull air in from the back of the PSU.​
4. Custom cable
Need to make sure the current PSU won't cause a Kaboom and need to measure the case. Will update this later.​
5. ██████████
Will update this later once the case is here and some other factors are met.​

Last edited:
Reactions: eedev

203Null

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Feb 16, 2021
I never worked with Ryzen before but I think I got quite lucky with my 5950x. I was able to do -30 undervolt and still managed to be stable in CB R20, CB R15, and Prime95

203Null

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Feb 16, 2021
Got my case and 980 pro today.

I went to microcenter with my friend to get him a 3090 today and they happened to have an open boxed 980 pro so I end up nabbing it.
Turn out it was written 22TB already so I'm not sure if I really want to keep it. (I paid 339$ for it. Amazon had it for $349 a few days ago but they changed it to 399$ and I can't price match it)

Back to the build, I ran into a few compatibility issues so here are the takeaways.
All my cables don't work even at the highest GPU position so there's no point change it, if anything changes it to the lowest so there's more room for the AIO tubing.
Radiator with tubes on the top just won't work with 4 slot GPU mode because the tube interferes with the RAM slot.
GPU space is tight when you have a chungus GPU. it took me forever to get that GPU in and it's slanted inside.

I really do like how it looks with the fan intake but it's just not ideal if radiator tubing is on the top (Looks way cleaner imo). After I'm done setting my SSD I will work the layout into something I'm actually comfortable using.

Anyways here's a few more picture

Last edited:

Qu1ckset

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 9, 2020
Clean build man!, I was thinking about doing my ek 280 in the same orientation as you but since think I changed my mind, but the fans as intake at front of the case like yours looks sooo good haha

Reactions: 203Null

203Null

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Feb 16, 2021
I managed to get four slot modes with the radiator top on top by shifting the radiator into the space of the front panel io.

This allows a little bit more space with the tube and ram but it does fit.

I'm pretty satisfied with the current layout so I did some cable management.
I wind all the fan and RGB cables around the silver beam on the top. This also covers the silver shrine from the beam so it looks really nice from the top
I think it would remain like this till I get my parts for all the mods I planned to do. (early June likely)

One thing I noticed is that for the EK AIO; If the terminal is on the right, it would interfere with the ram and make them tilt. It's concerning but I will let it pass.

This concludes phase 1 of this build log and I'm looking forward to sharing more stuff and long-time reports on this build in the future.

In the end, please pay respect to my old build in LianLi Q37 (2017-2021). This current build was supposed to be a transplant, not a fresh build. But after series of unfortunate events, I managed to kill both of my 1080ti and 9900k so here we are.

Last edited:
Reactions: thelaughingman

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
the build comes out pretty great! look forward to more updates & optimisation!

One thing I noticed is that for the EK AIO; If the terminal is on the right, it would interfere with the ram and make them tilt. It's concerning but I will let it pass.
I observed this too when I built in the T1, had to rotate the block 180 so the terminal is on the other side for peace of mind,

203Null

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Feb 16, 2021
From a very short testing time, I can already tell that my PSU is dying. The fan is vrooming and is the loudest component of the entire PC. Four slot mode + glass panel also left absolute zero breath room for it.

I guess it's time to look out for an SF750 and another mesh panel. For the time being, I will just remove the glass panel while I'm working.

GPU fans are really loud too so I might do a deshroud mode with black A12x25s are available. Not sure if it would really fit in three-slot mode tho.

biopunk

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 24, 2020
From a very short testing time, I can already tell that my PSU is dying. The fan is vrooming and is the loudest component of the entire PC. Four slot mode + glass panel also left absolute zero breath room for it.

I guess it's time to look out for an SF750 and another mesh panel. For the time being, I will just remove the glass panel while I'm working.

GPU fans are really loud too so I might do a deshroud mode with black A12x25s are available. Not sure if it would really fit in three-slot mode tho.
Can you try flipping the PSU so that the fan would face the middle bracket to see if it would run quieter?

203Null

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Feb 16, 2021
Can you try flipping the PSU so that the fan would face the middle bracket to see if it would run quieter?
It surely will. I currently have the mesh panel on the CPU side and no panel on the GPU side and I can hear the PSU struggle a lot less. I will probably gonna try deshroud my GPU later so I will test out how it runs with PSU facing inward with it.

203Null

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Feb 16, 2021

Day 1 update:

I flipped the PSU so I won't hear it struggle anymore. (If I can't hear it, it's no longer my problem)

The GPU is still loud af. I throw in two more 120mm fans to help the GPU cooling till I got time to deshroud it.
PS: I plan to deshourd with two black A12x25 but Noctua delayed them to q3 so I might use two Arctic P14 PWM PST instead.

And a front view to end this update with

Qu1ckset

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 9, 2020
I think if you put the rad fans on the inside of the case and set it to exhaust it would actually help with the gpu temps!

Reactions: 203Null

203Null

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Feb 16, 2021
I think if you put the rad fans on the inside of the case and set it to exhaust it would actually help with the gpu temps!
I think there are zero benefits for going with my current fan layout but it does look very nice. I might switch to another layout after more testing and see how my mods would work.

203Null

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Feb 16, 2021
GPU deshrolded and temperature is very promising. (Fans are from my old itx build, I will switch them out for chroma A12x25 as soon as they are available)

I got an SF750 but it won't get here till the end of May so gonna need to bear the noise of SGX650 for another 2 weeks.

Also, the glass on the CPU side kind grows on me so I might not switch to a mesh panel once that is available.