News AMD X570 ITX Motherboards

So we have 1 confirmed so far:

The Crosshair VIII Impact is the ITX variant.

I'm hoping here that Asus think Zen 2 is amazing enough to revive Enthusiast class Impact boards and not offer us neutered versions like the Strix garbage they've been peddling for the last few years!

B550 boards are "speculated" to appear around 6 months after X570.

Last edited:

bluestofblue

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 12, 2019
When the AsRock board drops there may be sales going on like right now with Microcenter to take $50 off of a board. This makes the x570 boards a lot easier to digest.

CantingSoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 2, 2018
Anandtech just posted their massive X570 mobo comparison this morning, and while there's no buy links yet for the AsRock ITX/TB3 board, they say the MSRP should be $300, making it $80 more expensive than the Gigabyte board. No MSRP listed for the Asus ITX or DTX boards. The AsRock Z390 ITX board is currently $180, so any price savings by going AMD over Intel CPUs is completely washed out by the x570 motherboard pricing. All the more reason to get a b450 board unless you have a really good reason not to, or wait for b550.
$300 for the Asrock board is a bit tough to stomach, but it's the only AM4 board that fits my use case.

Reactions: cmyk78

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
$300 for the Asrock board is a bit tough to stomach, but it's the only AM4 board that fits my use case.
Exactly, mine too. So I'm not comparing $220 vs $180 I'm comparing $300 vs $180, which makes it even worse for AMD. If Intel drops their prices in the next week or two like the rumors say they will, there's no question I'll go Z390 + 9700K over X570 + 3700X or 3800X. It's already mostly a wash in terms of cost, but Z390 is well baked and stable. It's just X570 is more future proof, since it's believed Intel will introduce new chipsets for Comet Lake with yet another socket variation.

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
What would be the difference between the x570 and the b450/b550?
Unless you need PCIE 4.0 (you don't), a huge VRM for the 3900X or 3950X, or some other feature unique to a specific X570 board (like Thunderbolt on the AsRock X570 ITX board), there isn't a difference in the ITX context between X570 and B450. ATX boards there's a much bigger delta.
No one knows what B550 will look like yet for sure, so impossible to know.

If I wasn't set on TB3 then I'd just get the MSI B450 board, which has an outstanding VRM and supports PBO voltage offsets now.

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
So found out this was a thing today: Link

Going to make the switch a bit cheaper.

TekEverything has a video on it from a couple years ago, not sure why I didn't already know about it. Guess it didn't seem worth it to switch at the time. Gonna upgrade from a 7600K.

prayogahs

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 21, 2019
So found out this was a thing today: Link

Going to make the switch a bit cheaper.

TekEverything has a video on it from a couple years ago, not sure why I didn't already know about it. Guess it didn't seem worth it to switch at the time. Gonna upgrade from a 7600K.
I also bought the kit to use my L9i from i5-7500 to 3600. FYI, it seems Noctua can provide them for free if you contact them and show the original invoices of the L9i and Ryzen motherboards as linked below. Don't have experience with it but most likely will take more longer vs buying.

SuperShires

Trash Compacter
Jun 16, 2019
Unless you need PCIE 4.0 (you don't), a huge VRM for the 3900X or 3950X, or some other feature unique to a specific X570 board (like Thunderbolt on the AsRock X570 ITX board), there isn't a difference in the ITX context between X570 and B450. ATX boards there's a much bigger delta.
No one knows what B550 will look like yet for sure, so impossible to know.

If I wasn't set on TB3 then I'd just get the MSI B450 board, which has an outstanding VRM and supports PBO voltage offsets now.
With X570 it would be simple plug and play, with B450 wouldn't you need an existing CPU to drop in so you can update the bios? pretty sure the B450 isn't plug and play and will require a bios update first?

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
With X570 it would be simple plug and play, with B450 wouldn't you need an existing CPU to drop in so you can update the bios? pretty sure the B450 isn't plug and play and will require a bios update first?
If you wait a few weeks, I'm sure most of the boards will get updated, or you can ask your seller to do it (like NewEgg, Microcenter, etc), or get an update kit from NVIDIA. After Ryzen 2000 came out a lot of older boards got stickers on them saying "Compatible with Ryzen 2000" and I'm sure you'll start to see similar stuff soon on older boards. But yes, if you just buy one blind you can get into trouble. There are many threads on this already on the forum if you need help doing it.

FCase

SFF Lingo Aficionado
FCase
Dec 20, 2015
Historically, previous Strix "-F" and "-E" mobos were equal price and ~$30 higher than the -I, respectively. The X570-F is $300 and the X570-E is $330. OutletPC is the only site with a listing for the X570-I, and it's $300.

MFRP is $400! They are just selling it for $300! Hopefully the Biostar offering is as good and cheaper than ASROCK, ASUS, and Gigabyte boards. Might force prices down a little. Otherwise there is always the EPYC Mini-ITX server option. At least then there is a legit reason for the price.

Mal

• Wow
Reactions: Acalanata

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I also bought the kit to use my L9i from i5-7500 to 3600. FYI, it seems Noctua can provide them for free if you contact them and show the original invoices of the L9i and Ryzen motherboards as linked below. Don't have experience with it but most likely will take more longer vs buying.

I did that a couple of months ago, was a problem-free process, the bracket arrived in the mail a week or two later. Used my Biostar X370GTN receipt (from back when that board was the only AM4 ITX option) and an L9i I bought this year for a separate project, and even with two years between the receipts everything went smoothly.

Reactions: prayogahs

Marvelm

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 20, 2017
MFRP is $400! They are just selling it for $300! Hopefully the Biostar offering is as good and cheaper than ASROCK, ASUS, and Gigabyte boards. Might force prices down a little. Otherwise there is always the EPYC Mini-ITX server option. At least then there is a legit reason for the price.

Mal

Did Biostar confirm they're going to have a x570 itx board?

prayogahs

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 21, 2019
I did that a couple of months ago, was a problem-free process, the bracket arrived in the mail a week or two later. Used my Biostar X370GTN receipt (from back when that board was the only AM4 ITX option) and an L9i I bought this year for a separate project, and even with two years between the receipts everything went smoothly.
Nice! Thanks for the information. Unfortunately we cannot rotate the l9i using the am4 brackets to align the heatfins along the RAM and instead blowing air straight to it and the VRMs. Might be a little bit worse on temps but I will take what I can get.

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
Nice! Thanks for the information. Unfortunately we cannot rotate the l9i using the am4 brackets to align the heatfins along the RAM and instead blowing air straight to it and the VRMs. Might be a little bit worse on temps but I will take what I can get.
Yeah that's annoying, you would think Noctua would know better on their AMD specific NH-L9a, but oh well. It's either that or the daunting Blackridge for me, which has had some compatibility issues with the massive heatsinks they are slapping on these boards.

Reactions: prayogahs

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
ITX never really gets any savings for being smaller - usually you end up paying more due to the tougher engineering job of fitting everything into the smaller package. The Impact will definitely suffer this, being a flagship ITX board so stuffed they needed to make it DTX. ATX always scales higher at the high end, but the cheapest boards are usually either ATX or mATX too. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Impact matched the prices of its ATX siblings, or even exceeded them. Still, I hope the Strix is below $300.
I will agree to disagree in this case. Historically, regardless of the form factor, the high mid-end ASUS ROG Strix boards have been less than their flagship ROG non-Strix boards by $50 to $100. I simply cannot foresee that precedent changing anytime soon given the gap in feature sets between the two.

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
Historically, previous Strix "-F" and "-E" mobos were equal price and ~$30 higher than the -I, respectively. The X570-F is $300 and the X570-E is $330. OutletPC is the only site with a listing for the X570-I, and it's $300.

Mal
Everything's fine. No seriously! Time and again, OutletPC has been notorious for listing exorbitant placeholder prices. They were pulling these same shenanigans before the pricing was confirmed for the Ryzen 3000 series processors. Looking at the other STRIX products, the X570-I might end up costing $299, but I am sure it won't cost more than that. Bringing this back down to Earth and centering this in reality, keep in mind that the Z170-based ASUS Maximus VIII Impact cost "just" $249 at launch several years ago. The Crosshair VIII Impact lacks many of the features of the other Crosshair models so it would be a stretch to wedge it squarely in the price point "round hole" of the ROG Crosshair Hero. And conversely, the Impact cannot be priced too low either and invade the lower-end (relatively speaking) ROG Strix products since it has more features than those products do. We will certainly see soon enough how this all shakes down in the weeks ahead!

Last edited:

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I will agree to disagree in this case. Historically, regardless of the form factor, the high mid-end ASUS ROG Strix boards have been less than their flagship ROG non-Strix boards by $50 to $100. I simply cannot foresee that precedent changing anytime soon given the gap in feature sets between the two.
You misunderstand me entirely. I was talking about price differentials between ITX and ATX/mATX boards in the same series, i.e. the notion that ITX will be cheaper (within its market segment) because it's smaller. That was the claim made in the post I responded to, which in my experience has never, ever been true. ITX is typically at price parity with ATX parallels despite less features due to less board space. Price differentials between series is another matter entirely.

Reactions: Hifihedgehog