News AMD X570 ITX Motherboards

So we have 1 confirmed so far:

The Crosshair VIII Impact is the ITX variant.

I'm hoping here that Asus think Zen 2 is amazing enough to revive Enthusiast class Impact boards and not offer us neutered versions like the Strix garbage they've been peddling for the last few years!

B550 boards are "speculated" to appear around 6 months after X570.

Last edited:

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I need comprehensive reviews on the following X570 motherboards before I can make a purchasing decision:

ASRock ITX
ASRock mATX
ASUS ITX
ASUS mDTX
Gigabyte ITX

So that sucks...
I'm betting there will be a wave of motherboard reviews on or after 7/7.

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
I'm betting there will be a wave of motherboard reviews on or after 7/7.
As all these unboxing videos have made clear, everyone has the boards, but useful reviews are all under embargo until 7/7. So I'm sure we'll all have a ton of reading to do next Sunday :)

Unless there's something majorly wrong with it, I'll be grabbing the AsRock ITX board.

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
???
Come on man, if you know of some issues with the board in question, help others with the info...!
@Boil - what are the features on the C8I that are drawing you towards it? It really limits your choice of cases, it will surely be more expensive than any other mITX board, and unless you are doing extreme overclocking on a test bench, it really doesn't add much functionality that I know of. Why do you wan tit?

For me - I want the AsRock board because of the Intel mounting mechanism and the Thunderbolt 3. Intel heatsink mounting means you can rotate it 90 degrees for certain coolers (although I plan on using an AIO, it does give the board more space), and the TB3 I plan to use for 10GbE.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
@Boil - what are the features on the C8I that are drawing you towards it? It really limits your choice of cases, it will surely be more expensive than any other mITX board, and unless you are doing extreme overclocking on a test bench, it really doesn't add much functionality that I know of. Why do you wan tit?

For me - I want the AsRock board because of the Intel mounting mechanism and the Thunderbolt 3. Intel heatsink mounting means you can rotate it 90 degrees for certain coolers (although I plan on using an AIO, it does give the board more space), and the TB3 I plan to use for 10GbE.

One main draw is that it looks to be the only board that does not place the M.2 SSDs on top of the chipset or behind the mobo...
And I like that there is no video output, which is only needed for APUs...

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
One main draw is that it looks to be the only board that does not place the M.2 SSDs on top of the chipset or behind the mobo...
And I like that there is no video output, which is only needed for APUs...
I guess the one thing I would warn you is that the SODIMM.2 adapter is VERY Tall. Way too tall for it to fit in most SFF sandwich cases. If you're planning on putting it in an NCase M1 or something like that, it should fit fine. But anything with a PCIe riser isn't going to work.

And the lack of video output seems like a weird upside. Just in case you didn't know, they aren't using that real estate on the IO panel for anything useful for most people. You can see it here: They are using extra space for reset and safe mode buttons, debug LEDs, etc.

If that's what you're looking for, then more power too you, but the board is clearly focused more on extreme overclockers (it has an LN2 switch at the bottom) than the SFF crowd.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
I guess the one thing I would warn you is that the SODIMM.2 adapter is VERY Tall. Way too tall for it to fit in most SFF sandwich cases. If you're planning on putting it in an NCase M1 or something like that, it should fit fine. But anything with a PCIe riser isn't going to work.

And the lack of video output seems like a weird upside. Just in case you didn't know, they aren't using that real estate on the IO panel for anything useful for most people. You can see it here: They are using extra space for reset and safe mode buttons, debug LEDs, etc.

If that's what you're looking for, then more power too you, but the board is clearly focused more on extreme overclockers (it has an LN2 switch at the bottom) than the SFF crowd.

Yeah, the SO-DIMM.2 module is 82mm tall...
Building in a Cerberus; which supports ITX, mDTX, & mATX...
I like the debug LEDs...!
I want to run a 3900X & 64GB of 3600/16 RAM, and I feel this would be the board that allows that to happen with the least amount of fuss or prodding...?

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
Yeah, the SO-DIMM.2 module is 82mm tall...
Building in a Cerberus; which supports ITX, mDTX, & mATX...
I like the debug LEDs...!
I want to run a 3900X & 64GB of 3600/16 RAM, and I feel this would be the board that allows that to happen with the least amount of fuss or prodding...?
Wouldn't running an mATX board with 4 DIMM slots be a cheaper way to reach 64GB of RAM? I know there's only one X570 mATX board (a low-end AsRock) but you can pick up B450 boards for cheap, and I think the MSI boards have pretty good VRMs. This still needs testing, but the initial info about faster RAM support seems to have more to do with the Ryzen 3000's memory controller as opposed to the x570 chipset.

Are you planning on using water cooling or air cooling? If water cooling definitely go with a board that properly can cool the VRM like the Asus...

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Wouldn't running an mATX board with 4 DIMM slots be a cheaper way to reach 64GB of RAM? I know there's only one X570 mATX board (a low-end AsRock) but you can pick up B450 boards for cheap, and I think the MSI boards have pretty good VRMs. This still needs testing, but the initial info about faster RAM support seems to have more to do with the Ryzen 3000's memory controller as opposed to the x570 chipset.

Are you planning on using water cooling or air cooling? If water cooling definitely go with a board that properly can cool the VRM like the Asus...

I will be water-cooling...

Rmorrison

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 30, 2019
That mini-dtx board is weird to me. I like it but wish it was more laid out like the z390 gene. so the Impact is a board for overclocking and the extended area has extra overclocking stuff and then asus throws in a sound card? for when you need better audio to overclock? and then compared to the gene it is missing a pcie slot and an extra 2 slots for more nvme storage. but the gene is a flex-atx(?) and the impact is a dtx, so it is a bit smaller. this is a strange board indeed. my guess is it will be around $400 and have a limited supply.

I'm really stoked for the asus strix and the gigabyte boards. i hope buildzoid gets his hands on the strix itx board. That gigabyte board looks to be a little powerhouse of a board.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
That mini-dtx board is weird to me. I like it but wish it was more laid out like the z390 gene. so the Impact is a board for overclocking and the extended area has extra overclocking stuff and then asus throws in a sound card? for when you need better audio to overclock? and then compared to the gene it is missing a pcie slot and an extra 2 slots for more nvme storage. but the gene is a flex-atx(?) and the impact is a dtx, so it is a bit smaller. this is a strange board indeed. my guess is it will be around $400 and have a limited supply.

I'm really stoked for the asus strix and the gigabyte boards. i hope buildzoid gets his hands on the strix itx board. That gigabyte board looks to be a little powerhouse of a board.
The Gene is mATX (24.4x22.6cm/9.6x8.9"), so it's far larger than the Crosshair VIII Impact (DTX, so ITX width (17cm/6.7") but 2-3cm/~1" taller). And it sounds like your reasoning is a bit backwards - the large audio board was likely added because it's seen as a premium feature, fitting for a premium board, and it fit nicely when other components (the soDIMM.2 card, bottom right headers) forced a larger board layout anyhow. One could argue that an extra PCIe slot would be more useful, but 99% of people buying this board will be blocking that slot with a dual-slot GPU, and don't want to build a custom case for a riser-mounted AIC. The extended area isn't "for overclocking stuff", it's for the stuff pushed to the side by the "overclocking stuff" (as well as the soDIMM.2). If they made it regular ITX, you would at minimum lose on-board audio, internal USB 2.0, and likely some fan headers. That's definitely not a tradeoff worth the increased compatibility. Still, is it the best design? That's debatable. I'm more interested in the ROG Strix myself. But the Crosshair is definitely interesting just as a balls-to-the-wall showcase board.

Rmorrison

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 30, 2019
i think that the placement of the genes extra pcie slot being above the pcie x16 slot is the better placement. but like you said the gene is bigger and allowed more room. the dtx, being an itx with a beard cant do all the stuff the gene does, however, the sound card could have been another pcie slot.

I too am interested in the rog strix board but that gigabyte board is looking good too. I think ill go for the strix board though because of the bios.

ncook06

Cable Smoosher
May 28, 2017
Sad day when our only ITX option is the Gigabyte. I was really counting on the Asus X570-I, but the more I look, the more I'm convinced that it's gonna be $299 whenever it actually shows up.