News AMD X570 ITX Motherboards

So we have 1 confirmed so far:

The Crosshair VIII Impact is the ITX variant.

I'm hoping here that Asus think Zen 2 is amazing enough to revive Enthusiast class Impact boards and not offer us neutered versions like the Strix garbage they've been peddling for the last few years!

B550 boards are "speculated" to appear around 6 months after X570.

Last edited:

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
The X570 looks like a bad match for SFF, you'll be in a marginal SFF case to take full advantage of all pcie4 blah blah lanes with a cpu sitting in a virtual chimney. B550 if it happens?

T_Tank

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 16, 2017
I don't expect 550 to be remotely more sff friendly besides smaller vrm cause most of the bulk is caused by the chipset for the pcie-4.0 If anything just grab a x470 itx board .

Reactions: SFF EOL

Legion

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Nov 22, 2017

This is the board I've had my eye on for an 8 core low profile build.
Impressed so far !!!

Last edited:
Reactions: scatterforce

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 17, 2017
Technically when phases are doubled, there are that (the big number) physical phases on the board. However, the problem with doubling is that it increses ripple, and vrm latency. This negatively affects overclocking. The whole point of doubling is to get more phases than the vrm controller allows. Typically the more phases that a controller can control, the more expensive it is. So adding doublers makes the vrm cheaper, or allows more phases than otherwise be possible. TL;DR a doubler is like a plx chip for vrm phases

You also usually lose some VRM self monitoring with doubling. Most cheap doublers don't pass all the temp data back up to the main controller and so the main controller can't do the phase balancing it would normally do to keep temps even.

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
Yep, I have a Black Ridge here waiting for a new build.
If it doesn't work I have a small cupboard full of SFF coolers hehe.

I have the black ridge, but don't have a closet full of alternatives. So, my plan is this:

Aluminum M.2 heatsink

The Auros X570 I is the only board (so far) that might fit larger coolers, but the fan module is too tall. So, mount this M.2 heatsink and add thermal pads such that it is in contact with the south bridge. That way, the down-facing 120mm slim Noctua fan will cool both the M.2 and the Southbridge.

Hellow

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 7, 2019
In this scenario you'll have to remove the mb fan and cross finger it'll boot w/o it. Also, I think you'll have to mod/cut the blackridge bracket because its AM3 compatibility won't fit on the Aorus.

NinoPecorino

Tweezer Squeezer
Platinum Supporter
Nov 24, 2017
i'm very annoyed at all of these motherboards being gentrified with giant aluminum condos. i hope that replacing them with smaller off-the-shelf heatsinks is a possibility. if not, i'll be sitting here twiddling my thumbs, patiently waiting for x670.

unless a full cover water block is released for that asrock. then i'll have to get a second job.

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
In this scenario you'll have to remove the mb fan and cross finger it'll boot w/o it. Also, I think you'll have to mod/cut the blackridge bracket because its AM3 compatibility won't fit on the Aorus.
I thought only Asrock and MSI boards needed modding..... I haven't used the cooler in a build (yet). I've been sitting on it and my case, waiting for Ryzen 3000 series to launch.

I'm willing to mod the cooler if that's what it takes. I'm just hopeful the fan doesn't cause issues. I think the only alternative would be picking up an Asus X470 board..... suggestions?

Secret-Misthios

Average Stuffer
May 25, 2019
How easy/difficult is it to mount the low profile Black Ridge AM4 cooler compared to something like Noctua L9a or Dark Rock's "unique" installation?

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
you should look at this :
Thank you for the photos. Those chips are in the exact same place on the new board, so the same interference will happen.

So I either mod the cooler, or use an X470/B450 board. I had my mind set on the Aorus board after the BuildZoid video. Any suggestions?

Hellow

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 7, 2019
Pretty sure the black ridge won't fit in the X570 I AORUS

Also the backplate is very huge. It won't fit in all sff cases !!

Legion

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Nov 22, 2017

I'm pretty shocked to read that Asmedia haven't even taped out the B550 chipsets yet (probably to enable maximum fleecing by AMD of the X570 chipset, rumored to cost 40 dollars)
But it was always speculated the B550 Boards would not appear until 6 months after X570

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015

I'm pretty shocked to read that Asmedia haven't even taped out the B550 chipsets yet (probably to enable maximum fleecing by AMD of the X570 chipset, rumored to cost 40 dollars)
But it was always speculated the B550 Boards would not appear until 6 months after X570
If they haven't taped out yet highly doubtful shipping chipsets by Q4 even on older nodes, lifetime/DVT testing alone will eat that time up. Probably see an A500ish motherboard before those.

Last edited:

Legion

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Nov 22, 2017

And now to muddy the waters further. The first B550 boards "may" be limited to PCI-E 3.0, with a further PCI-E 4.0 "budget" chipset from Asmedia coming later in 2020........

Wccftech is a trash site, notorious for getting things wrong. It gets hits for click bait articles like this. So take it all with a hefty dose of salt !!!

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018

And now to muddy the waters further. The first B550 boards "may" be limited to PCI-E 3.0, with a further PCI-E 4.0 "budget" chipset from Asmedia coming later in 2020........

Wccftech is a trash site, notorious for getting things wrong. It gets hits for click bait articles like this. So take it all with a hefty dose of salt !!!
It sounds very likely to me that the 2nd-tier chipset will ditch the PCIe 4.0 switch, given that that would be (by far!) the most costly part of the design (both in terms of design complexity, size and power). This of course doesn't affect the PCIe 4.0 lanes from the CPU, as those are entirely unrelated to the chipset. IMO, B550 with 16 PCIe 3.0 in addition to the 20 4.0 lanes off the CPU would be ideal. Even 10-12 lanes would be fine, really. Especially if the uplink is still 4.0.

Reactions: annasoh323

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I'd wait a couple of weeks (7th of July) when Ryzen 3000 releases, maybe there will be news about the B550 chipset. To me it seems really strange AMD would "forget" about the mainstream chipset, they've had plenty of time to get it done. And basically Ryzen 3000 doesn't even need a chipset, especially not for mITX if a single M.2 slot would suffice. Here's hoping @ASRock System has got our backs.

Reactions: cmyk78

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I'd wait a couple of weeks (7th of July) when Ryzen 3000 releases, maybe there will be news about the B550 chipset. To me it seems really strange AMD would "forget" about the mainstream chipset, they've had plenty of time to get it done. And basically Ryzen 3000 doesn't even need a chipset, especially not for mITX if a single M.2 slot would suffice. Here's hoping @ASRock System has got our backs.
The Bx50 chipsets have always launched later than the Xx70 chipsets on Ryzen, so that's to be expected. I was thinking they would arrive a bit sooner this generation simply because AMD obviously has a lot more support from motherboard OEMs this time around, but given that B450 and X470 still work that isn't really an issue. I'll rather take a late but improved launch than a third rehash of the previous Bx50 Promontory. It also seems like they've spent a lot of resources making X570 into the best it can be, which has probably put B550 on the back burner. That these chipsets are reportedly still designed and made by ASmedia but aren't launched right away can be seen as an indication that they're working on something genuinely new for the midrange and low end, which would be a very nice value play. Not technically necessary, but good nonetheless. I'm guessing they want to make it pin-compatible with X570 for easy implementation on lower-end versions of existing X570 boards, which would pretty much necessitate matching USB and SATA connectivity, at least. B550 with 8-12 SATA and 8x USB 3.1G2? Yes please.

Last edited: