SFF.Network AMD Ryzen announced, detailed and available for pre-order TODAY !

Ever since AMD first announced the work that would later be branded as Ryzen, the company has been strategically and masterfully orchestrating a narrative of dramatic change and disruption to the staid status quo of consumer and enthusiast-grade processors. Today, however, AMD has built up this performance into a crescendo, by revealing their top-performing Ryzen AM4 CPUs today.

Read more here.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
A passive Ryzen system sounds like a misguided plan. Every chip in the series (If I'm not mistaken) is designed to self-overclock if cooling permits. Even if you could successfully passively cool a 65W to 95W chip, I have reservations that you could do so while a chip like that is overclocking itself.
Each chip can self overclock (Intel chips can as well). You'll need to go into the UEFI and turn those features off.

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
All I'm trying to say is I feel like these chips are being presented as ones you "want" to use a powerful/"overkill" cooling solution with.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
I'm not on the hype train, sorry. Still in my Intel sleeper car until AMD delivers an Intel-slayer like they've promised multiple times.

Also no ITX boards? Come on, son!

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
All I'm trying to say is I feel like these chips are being presented as ones you "want" to use a powerful/"overkill" cooling solution with.
That's marketing.

I'm not on the hype train, sorry. Still in my Intel sleeper car until AMD delivers an Intel-slayer like they've promised multiple times.

Also no ITX boards? Come on, son!
That's marketing. The board situation is dependent on the hardware partners and they go after critical mass first. AMD will slay Intel; the Intel that felt like they could charge a lot for their chips since they had little to no competition. Intel has competition now and both companies are needed.

Reactions: LocoMoto

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
That's marketing. The board situation is dependent on the hardware partners and they go after critical mass first. AMD will slay Intel; the Intel that felt like they could charge a lot for their chips since they had little to no competition. Intel has competition now and both companies are needed.

Eh, I'll wait until reviewers get it and we'll see. More competition is always a good thing!

I'm more concerned with how the AMD equivalent of an i6600k stacks up for gaming though.

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
Actually, I'm gonna go on a limb here and argue that Intel doesn't have that much competition from AMD. Single threaded performance is not as good as Intel still, which means most games are still going to favor Intel for frame rates. I want AMD to succeed and I think Zen is a huge step forward since they have a competitive product, but so many people who don't know about PC's now are indoctrinated at this point to assume Intel is superior even if they have an inferior product.

Even though you can buy Android phones for $400 that are more powerful or as powerful as an Iphone 7, you don't see people rushing over to buy them. Most people don't want to think, they just want what is easy and if they believe Intel is the best choice, you are going to fight an uphill battle to convince them otherwise.

Mostly I see Zen buyers being people who know what they are buying, which unfortunately isn't that many people. By the time AMD has swayed enough of them over, Intel will have a chance to revamp their product line to stay ahead. AMD still has a huge battle ahead, but at least they have a product they can fight with and not get their face rubbed in the dirt.

LocoMoto

DEVOURER OF BAKED POTATOES
Jul 19, 2015

They want to keep their hides safe, so they have to set the XFR to need excess cooling for that auto oc.
You can still manually oc/uc the CPU to suit what you're looking for, whether or not that's performance, acoustics, longevity, low temps etc..
You can still choose your cooling solution, be it air or liquid or plasma for that matter...

Pat-Roner

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2016
You would be better served with a 1700 (65W TDP), no? If not for the lower price, then the lower power consumption.

I can deal with a 95w TDP, and price/power consumption isn't that important. 4k is getting bigger and bigger, and with multiple plex users on my server, I'd rather have proper hardware right away.

nox

Average Stuffer
Feb 10, 2017
i want a Ryzen NUC with at least 2 NIC's and able to take 2 sodimms/ssd's... i hope i don't have to wait until a month before the next gen are out.

Reactions: zovc

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
AMD still has a huge battle ahead, but at least they have a product they can fight with and not get their face rubbed in the dirt.

I think this is important. Very often I see new builders go AMD because the 8-core Bulldozers sound nice in theory (8-cores for so much cheaper than the Intel!) but then realize it doesn't actually perform all that well in most tasks. Then they go Intel for their next build having learned their lesson.

But now with Ryzen, you'll get the same ignorant people getting the 8-core AMD that's so much cheaper than the equivalent Intel. But now it actually performs, so they won't abandon AMD the first chance they get to upgrade.

ElinaNguyen

Trash Compacter
Aug 27, 2016

Hmmmmmm.......

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Do you run a tech blog somewhere or something? I'd be curious to see your stuff.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
i want a Ryzen NUC with at least 2 NIC's and able to take 2 sodimms/ssd's... i hope i don't have to wait until a month before the next gen are out.
NUC is an Intel thing. It will be interesting to see if AMD tries to come up with something like it.
I think this is important. Very often I see new builders go AMD because the 8-core Bulldozers sound nice in theory (8-cores for so much cheaper than the Intel!) but then realize it doesn't actually perform all that well in most tasks. Then they go Intel for their next build having learned their lesson.

But now with Ryzen, you'll get the same ignorant people getting the 8-core AMD that's so much cheaper than the equivalent Intel. But now it actually performs, so they won't abandon AMD the first chance they get to upgrade.
It is unfortunate that so many do not do their research before hand to know what their getting or that they trust the wrong sources of information.

Reactions: Ceros_X

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 5, 2016
Waiting for reviews. But if they pan out I will drop the $800 to get an 1800X system up an running. Just sold my i5-4690k/motherboard/ram off to someone for $400 so my nanos need a new home (they have been sitting on a shelf collecting dust for the last 3 weeks).

Reactions: Soul_Est

nox

Average Stuffer
Feb 10, 2017
NUC is an Intel thing.

yeah, but you knew exactly what i was talking about without me having to type in 'extremely small form factor computer that's generally half decent' (which i've now had to type in!)

bit like a hoover - everyone knows that's actually a brand but they still call vacuum cleaners hoovers. :)