News AMD Project Quantum

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
In most small-form-factor machines I’ve seen that come close to this in size, it’s either a liquid-cooled GPU or CPU, but not both.

This guy has not nearly seen enough SFF builds.

Other than that, nice write-up, but no surprises at all.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Still an interesting product since it's basically a huge company flaunting amazing SFF products. After the R9 Fury X and the Nano, we must not forget this SFF-approved hunk of milled and 3D-printed amazeballs.

Reactions: esplin2966

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Shame about that power brick. I do sincerely hope that isn't actually a proper PSU stuck in there since that would duplicate the 3.3 and 5v components that already exist on the picopsu they are using (ie. wasted space).
Frankly, I'm getting tired of the continued existence of huge PSUs in the first place. Considering you can get 500W Flex ATX PSUs and 700W SFX PSUs the full size seems overkill even in a desktop, and yet it's still kinda hard sometimes to find a small case that actually uses the smaller PSU. Not many cases use smaller PSUs since there aren't many to slot in, and not many small PSUs exist since it's hard to find a case that supports one (excepting brackets)

Anyways, looking at how AMD put this together to sandwich a combined CPU-GPU waterblock reminded me of a Thin Mini-ITX board Giabyte made a few years back that had an x16 slot on the wrong side of the board. If someone came out with another one of those with more recent specs, you could do the same thing but actually have the back of the GPU and motherboard facing the same way rather than having to run cables for them. Of course an actual Thin Mini-ITX isn't wholly necessary, just having most of the upper I/O row clear for a full height card would be enough.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Bird of Prey, search the site for the "View Paker" thread for nonstandard PCIe connections on mobos.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
I get zero search results for that but I think I know the thread you are talking about.
It's the Computex Motherboards with a PCIe at the top of the motherboard that puts a card parallel right?

Those would certainly work for something like this, though it would need a ribbon riser or multiple right angle risers and maybe a spacer, and you'd have to clip the top row of the I/O if you wanted the GPU to be close to the motherboard. That's actually one of the things that intrigues me about thin mini-ITX is that you can have the expansion card in the motherboard shield space. Useful for those tiny cases not normally designed to handle any expansion cards (though obviously unsuited to trying to cram a video card in there; too much heat, not enough power)

wesbl

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 9, 2017
I like this design. Do you think is possible to create an universal cpu/gpu waterblock? At least for recent cpu/gpu...

Last edited: