News AMD Project Quantum

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
A very very nice case design ! Now where is that industrial 3D printer I have laying around ? Oh wait...

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
It's very interesting, and the aesthetics are actually pretty good/thoughtful.

Who is this being made for, though? Is this a barebones kit, or will it be sold directly to consumers as a complete solution?

theGryphon

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 15, 2015
It's very interesting, and the aesthetics are actually pretty good/thoughtful.

Who is this being made for, though? Is this a barebones kit, or will it be sold directly to consumers as a complete solution?

I don't see how this can be barebones with such a custom cooling design with hard pipes.
I would imagine this to have a few configurations and be sold as a complete kit. Two different CPU selections, and two different GPU selections, etc. Maybe SSD and RAM can be user serviceable, but that would be pretty much it.

Edit: I would also assume that they're using AMD CPUs. I mean, unless they wanna shoot themselves on the foot (read: forehead).

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I don't see how this can be barebones with such a custom cooling design with hard pipes.
I would imagine this to have a few configurations and be sold as a complete kit. Two different CPU selections, and two different GPU selections, etc. Maybe SSD and RAM can be user serviceable, but that would be pretty much it.

This is where my confusion lies - it's too proprietary to be a barebones kit, but otherwise AMD is basically becoming a computer vendor, which seems equally unusual.

I suppose we'll learn more soon?

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
This could be nothing more than a hardware showcase for a VR. AMD has plenty of stuff like this that never sees fruition.

I like it, but I'm not expecting to see it in the market in any tangible way.

Reactions: owliwar

theGryphon

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 15, 2015
This is where my confusion lies - it's too proprietary to be a barebones kit, but otherwise AMD is basically becoming a computer vendor, which seems equally unusual.

I suppose we'll learn more soon?

I think they'll sell this as barebones to AIBs and/or system builders, which will in turn sell them as complete kits to consumers. AMD does not have the capability to direct sell to consumers.

AMD can provide the boards, CPUs, GPUs, RAM, and SSDs. What's left for AIB is to come up with the customized end products at different tiers and price points.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
That's sad, even AMD admits that Intel is the way to go on the CPU for SFF:

Props to djotter for noting that the board is an ASRock Z97E-ITX/AC
http://www.pcper.com/news/General-T...actor-Project-Quantum-PC-Dual-Fiji-Powerhouse

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Wooooooooooooow... I'm in disbelief.

I don't know whether to commend AMD for being brutally honest with themselves, or to chastise them for taking the biggest dump possible on their own processors :oops:

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I'm out of words. Such incompetence, such a surrender.
If I was the CEO, no way I would do this.

I mean, if they had to do it to make the idea work, or if they wanted to make the idea the best it could be... It was what they had to do, right?

Where is the PSU?

Edit: I think I found it in the video above. Go to 1:44.

Yep. It's practically a third the size of the actual computer, which is simultaneously impressive and disappointing :p

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Some more analysis:

There's a PicoPSU attached to the motherboard and there's a separate power board that connects to the power socket on the rear of the case that probably has the connector for the GPU:

Also, you can see here that the water blocks are sandwiched by the GPU and motherboard:

Interestingly the motherboard and GPU are backwards, the GPU connectors are facing rearward as normal but the motherboard IO is facing forward.

Also, the fan is an Enermax Apollish 180mm:

Which also explains the red LEDs, those things are bright :p

Also means we're looking at a 180mm rad, though I don't recognize the one they're using.

And finally, going off this picture of the back, here's my estimated dimensions of the unit:

So not exactly tiny.

Plenty of room in that box for a 180mm ATX PSU.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
How the heck do you notice these things?

Anyway, seems like a lot of engineering for what you get out of it... Especially with respect to the size, and that monstrous attached power supply that puts the Xbox One to shame :rolleyes:

(Though I'll be the first to say that the reflective middle-surface, with the lighting and grate pattern, is very attractive.)

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Too bad they didn't went with an SFX PSU, but I guess this rig needs more power than the 600W we have today. Maybe the 700W Silverstone SX700-PLT will allow this to happen ? And hopefully with a decent AMD CPU by the time this project sees the light of day.

veryrarium

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 6, 2015
If I understand the internals correctly, AMD just beat me to implementing more or less the same concept of a cooling chamber and a main component chamber "connected to each other via small ducting portion" that I've been procrastinating on my three decade old X68k case.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Well, the difference is that AMD probably has a rapid prototyping machine somewhere, along with a staff of highly educated and experienced engineers that can make any dream come true, while we need to make it work somehow in our toolshed :)

rawr

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 1, 2015
I love the power solution. I've always wanted to power most of the system with a pico and then the GPU separately. I'm really interested in that power board for the GPU.

On another note, I don't mind the size of the external brick, especially if it's really powerful (like >380W)