News AMD APU's - CES 2018 Announcement

AMD have released details of their 2018 lineup including 2 new Ryzen APU's which will be launching February 12th, they are the Ryzen 3 2200G ($99) and Ryzen 5 2400G ($169), interestingly no Ryzen 7 model has been announced yet.

AMD are claiming that the 2400G will perform about the same as an Intel i3 8400 + GT 1030, putting it somewhere in the region of 10% - 20% lower performance than a GTX 750Ti which is what the recent rumors have been comparing it against, perhaps it will be the Ryzen 7 model (if they release one) that will hit the 750Ti performance level.

AMD also claimed from their lab testing you can overclock the APU graphics by nearly 40%, that will be interesting to see!

parlinone

Trash Compacter
Nov 3, 2017
If you go to support > bios the last update says: "Update AGESA for upcoming processors."
maybe they dont specify because the processor arent out yet? dont know.. if they support bristol ridge apus I dont think it will be that hard to support the newer ones.

thx, now I see it. Yes makes sense they only mention it after the official release. BUT: it says you first need to install version 3.6 under Windows. So obviously you need to install everything and boot into Windows BEFORE you are able to update your bios to the one that supports the new APU's. I take it it will run despite not being supported then?

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
thx, now I see it. Yes makes sense they only mention it after the official release. BUT: it says you first need to install version 3.6 under Windows. So obviously you need to install everything and boot into Windows BEFORE you are able to update your bios to the one that supports the new APU's. I take it it will run despite not being supported then?
hmm, I guess probably not. It may be just like when intel released the 7 gen cpus that was in the 1151 socket. I remember having to go to a hardware store to have my brother's motherboard bios updated so his g4620 could boot.
so yeah its better if you have access to a store / tech support or someone with the 1st gen zen cpus.

parlinone

Trash Compacter
Nov 3, 2017
hmm, I guess probably not. It may be just like when intel released the 7 gen cpus that was in the 1151 socket. I remember having to go to a hardware store to have my brother's motherboard bios updated so his g4620 could boot.
so yeah its better if you have access to a store / tech support or someone with the 1st gen zen cpus.

yes that would suck since I want to order everything online. Maybe i can ask them to install the bios upgrade before shipping it out.

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
Does anyone know what what currently available CPU with integrated graphics has the best performance? Curious how it will compare to the 2400G.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
I think that the current gpu pricing and availability may actually help these along. If the RyzenG processors are halfway decent at light gaming they should sell like hot cakes. I would love to build a light gamer /portable htpc with one so eagerly awaiting reviews.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Update the bios with usb flash drive... IN the bios...

Reactions: TheHig