News AMD APU's - CES 2018 Announcement

AMD have released details of their 2018 lineup including 2 new Ryzen APU's which will be launching February 12th, they are the Ryzen 3 2200G ($99) and Ryzen 5 2400G ($169), interestingly no Ryzen 7 model has been announced yet.

AMD are claiming that the 2400G will perform about the same as an Intel i3 8400 + GT 1030, putting it somewhere in the region of 10% - 20% lower performance than a GTX 750Ti which is what the recent rumors have been comparing it against, perhaps it will be the Ryzen 7 model (if they release one) that will hit the 750Ti performance level.

AMD also claimed from their lab testing you can overclock the APU graphics by nearly 40%, that will be interesting to see!

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
This looks nice! at that price point + future am4 support I thinks it will do really well.
how many cores does the 2400g have? (do you have any links with this information?)
making a budget amd build will be so easy now :))

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
oh kyle from bitwit just made a video about it (and the whole amd roadmap as well)

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
interestingly no Ryzen 7 model has been announced yet.
I know the mobiles space has Ryzen 7 with the lower end being 5, but I wonder if they might be trying to match up the numbers in the desktop space with the existing parts. In this case x600 and above are 6+ core parts, so maybe they don't want to sell a 2700G with only half the cores of the GPUless r7s.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
I know the mobiles space has Ryzen 7 with the lower end being 5, but I wonder if they might be trying to match up the numbers in the desktop space with the existing parts. In this case x600 and above are 6+ core parts, so maybe they don't want to sell a 2700G with only half the cores of the GPUless r7s.

That could be it yes. I've read somewhere that the Ryzen 3 2200G is completely replacing the current Ryzen 3 1200 (there wont be a non APU version of this chip for the 2000 series), and the Ryzen 5 2400G is doing the same for replacing the Ryzen 5 1400.

do you have any links with this information?

Here you go:

https://www.pcper.com/news/Processors/CES-2018-AMD-Ryzen-Desktop-CPU-Ryzen-Graphics-Coming-Feb-12

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
That could be it yes. I've read somewhere that the Ryzen 3 2200G is completely replacing the current Ryzen 3 1200 (there wont be a non APU version of this chip for the 2000 series), and the Ryzen 5 2400G is doing the same for replacing the Ryzen 5 1400.

that would be a really smart move for them. it makes total sense. even the price match. unless they're lowering the prices by a lot but I don't know how profitable that would be?
like a r3 1200 at 60 dollars or so.. but without gpu? who knows

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
This is great news. Any idea if we'll see Mini-STX AM4 boards?

Seeing as Mini STX was a collaborative project between AsRock and Intel, I'd be surprised to see AM4 make it onto the platform (but I would be thrilled if it did). Maybe Intel will release an analog of the 5775 Crystal Well chips with a 4c/8t CPU and even beefier Vega compute unit than the laptop versions which we can pair with Mini STX :)

etal

Cable Smoosher
Sep 9, 2017
A 28 CU version would have to be a totally different design, something like the Intel/vega thing combining multiple chips. Without dedicated HBM or GDDR5 memory a 28 CU design will be extremely bandwidth starved.

GeSong

Chassis Packer
Jan 27, 2017
That would be great, where did you get those numbers from?
I'm just curious if AMD will make the 28cu on into a Ryzen 7 APU. According to other people's responses, the 28 CU apu will not be compatible with the current AM4 motherboard

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
So the 2400G chip is comparable to i5-8400 with GT1030, and it's also been stated that both gpu and cpu are overclockable. Anyone have any idea what kind of performance gain that would give the Ryzen chip?

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I'm just curious if AMD will make the 28cu on into a Ryzen 7 APU. According to other people's responses, the 28 CU apu will not be compatible with the current AM4 motherboard

The upcoming Intel NUCs have 20 to 28 Vega CU's on their Intel chips. It's really interesting that AMD gave Intel chips the upper hand for iGPU performance, but the more likely reason is because of die package requiring HBM. The Ryzen APU's work with AM4 but the chips for the NUCs are in a package size that won't fit in that socket.

Reactions: owliwar

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
Now, we just need an AM4 ITX motherboard with proper HDMI 2.0 support, as none exist at the moment with the only AM4 ITX boards on the market supporting HDMI 1.4.

Last edited:
Reactions: owliwar

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
It's really interesting that AMD gave Intel chips the upper hand for iGPU performance, but the more likely reason is because of die package requiring HBM.
The number one reason which cannot be understated: price. The Hades Canyon NUCs cost a pretty penny due to the elaborate manufacturing process. Intel can drone on and on about the virtues of their multi-die package that solve all the world’s problems. But $800 to $1000 for their barebones NUC means Kaby Lake-G is costing them a pretty penny to manufacture. I personally predict that this multi-die package design is going to be a single generation escapade that will not go anywhere except the way of the dinosaur, meaning zero market penetration and no real profits to speak of.

Last edited:
Reactions: IntoxicatedPuma

parlinone

Trash Compacter
Nov 3, 2017
Does anybody know how much time it (usually) takes motherboard motherfacturers to update their drivers for the Ryzen APU's? I'm eyeing the 2400G upon release with the Asrock Fatal1ty AB350 but timely support for it seems a dark horse here.

GeSong

Chassis Packer
Jan 27, 2017
Does anybody know how much time it (usually) takes motherboard motherfacturers to update their drivers for the Ryzen APU's? I'm eyeing the 2400G upon release with the Asrock Fatal1ty AB350 but timely support for it seems a dark horse here.

The motherboards manufacturers already released the Ryzen APU supported BIOS a few months ago

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
Then why does the specification not mention it?

Asrock Fatal1ty AB350
- Supports AMD Socket AM4 A-Series APUs (Bristol Ridge) and Ryzen Series CPUs (Summit Ridge)
https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITXac/index.asp#Specification

If you go to support > bios the last update says: "Update AGESA for upcoming processors."
maybe they dont specify because the processor arent out yet? dont know.. if they support bristol ridge apus I dont think it will be that hard to support the newer ones.

Reactions: Hifihedgehog