GPU AMD 6700 XT 12GB ASIC B 189W - ITX model inbound?

n.tesla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 19, 2020

Anyone else see the rumour mill about 2 variants of the upcoming 6700XT?

ASIC A - 230W
ASIC B- 189W

I'd say that power envelope is within scope of an ITX model. Any thoughts?

Reactions: Phuncz

Tute

Average Stuffer
Sep 16, 2018
If you can fit the TDP of a Vega 56 into an ITX form factor, you can fit the 6700XT ASIC B. However it seems that only Powercolor is ever interested in high(er) end AMD ITX models so I guess it'll come down to them and if they can make it work.

Tute

Average Stuffer
Sep 16, 2018
Based on today's news these aren't going to be going into sub-200mm form factors. I can't remember a generational leap with such a low improvement in power efficiency. Most if not all of the performance gains are from going from 250W to 350W at the top end.

I can semi-understand it at AMD given it's the same process (although their claims of a doubling in power efficiency is just an outright lie) but nVidia moved from a 14nm process to an 8nm one and gained next to nothing from doing it.

As an SFF enthusiast this upsets me greatly. I guess it's another generation of 2070 performance at 175mm. /sigh

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
As an SFF enthusiast this upsets me greatly. I guess it's another generation of 2070 performance at 175mm. /sigh

The only viable option at present is this 3060ti from MSI. They have advertised it, so it will eventually get produced.... but for me, it isn't a big enough of a jump to warrant an upgrade (if you could even get one).

edit: on topic, no. I don't see any variant of the 6700xt to be ITX. We might get a 6700 if we are lucky.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018

IMO you will only see less and less true ITX-size cards moving forwards. It is a train that has already left the station
  • Bigger cards with bigger heatsink & more bling bling means prices can be raised a lot more for much higher margin. Why sell a small card for 300USD and you can sell a big card for 400-450USD?
  • ITX GPU is truly a niche within a niche, the addressable market does not justify all the costs associated with increasing the number of SKUs. This is further amplified by the effect of COVID and subsequently shortage of semiconductor parts.
From the case market there is a trend of big manufacturers joining the wagon recently and boutique makers achieving greater successes and recognition than in the past. But all the growth are larger cases accommodating full length and 2.5-3slot cards, where are the cases for those ITX-size card? I may not have looked hard enough for them but they also did not do anything special to draw my attention

Tute

Average Stuffer
Sep 16, 2018
Looking at the rumoured performance i'm not sure this was ever going to make it into an ITX form factor if the reported numbers are true. It seems to be quite close to 3070 performance in rasterisation and 3060 performance in ray tracing.

This would mean it's very close to nVidia's offering in performance per watt, and the 3070 was never going to run cool enough.

So the standard 6700 might well be the one to watch out for - assuming that's the card that is targeting circa 3060Ti performance.

Teebs

Trash Compacter
Mar 24, 2020
Sad to see none of the lower power AMD SKU releases so far with usb c.

I wonder if we will get any mitx sized 6700 or 6700 xt from any manufacturer that has this port.

The build I'm working on requires one, and i'll have to backtrack to a 2070 with usb c if none of these companies make one.

This entire generation of GPUs keeps disappointing in so many ways.

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Sad to see none of the lower power AMD SKU releases so far with usb c.

I wonder if we will get any mitx sized 6700 or 6700 xt from any manufacturer that has this port.

The build I'm working on requires one, and i'll have to backtrack to a 2070 with usb c if none of these companies make one.

This entire generation of GPUs keeps disappointing in so many ways.

There are certain motherboard that allow you to use their USB-C port as thunderbolt and have a displayport input to passthrough your GPU video signal to the thunderbolt. It requires specific hardware, but it's the only way to get the current generation GPU's hooked up via USB-C.

Mackan

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 2, 2016
I had a look today at GPUs in stock at various retailers, and exactly everything was sold out. And with extremely inflated prices as well. Then there are these scalpers that sell for even higher prices.

Even if someone releases an itx-sized 6700 I doubt there is any chance to get one in the forseeable future.