Concept AM4 - CPU block + pump top

ToWi1989

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 26, 2020
I'm working on a custom CPU block with intergrated DDC pump mount made specific for the AM4 socket. I'm currently in the finishing stages of the design, prepping for a proto. Pump in- outlets will above/below the socket.

Dimensions:
  • Height: 23.7mm (cold plate to DDC mounting face, 49.7mm including an alphacool DDC heatsink)
  • Length: 111mm
  • Width: 68mm

Materials:
  • Cold plate: copper (EKWB Quantum Magnitude - flat)
  • Midplate: copper (C101)
  • Top plate: delrin (POM-H)
Based on preliminary quotes, I expect the sales price to be around €160,-. That will include the EKWB cold plate, back plate and mounting hardware. Depending on interest, availablity would be around mid - end October. Let me know what your thoughts are.

Last edited:

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
So does the 160 Euros also include the DDC pump...?

And with the EK Quantum Magnitude cold plate, will this also take into account the offset CPU chiplets (like the EK Quantum Magnitude water block itself does) in a 3000-series AMD Ryzen CPU...?

Thanks!

ToWi1989

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 26, 2020
So does the 160 Euros also include the DDC pump...?

And with the EK Quantum Magnitude cold plate, will this also take into account the offset CPU chiplets (like the EK Quantum Magnitude water block itself does) in a 3000-series AMD Ryzen CPU...?

Thanks!

A DDC pump wont be included. The flow is more similar to an optimus block, running up/down from the centre jet, rather than left/right seen in EK's blocks. Designing a compact block poses limitations when it comes to flowpaths. You'll want your pump placement to remain centered otherwise you might run into either RAM or chipset / VRM cooler clearance issues. This means the DDC inlet will line up exactly with where you'd want the block inlet to be. Going around that and making sure the block is still sealed (o-rings take up a lot of package space) is what led to this design. In the end there's only a couple of degrees to be gained which doesnt make it worth sacrificing the port in and outlet positions.

Anyhow, I don't have the resources to be testing different setups and make back to back comparisons. I'll start off with a full delrin sample for personal testing.

The price is justified by the high cost involved with small batch cnc machining. In the end, the price is very similar to a bare apogee drive II including the shipping and import fees to Europe. Also don't forget a EK magnitude is a 200+ euro's block!

Selling it without cold plate would make things easier for me, but it doesnt bring any advantage to potential buyers since they are not interchangable with other types on the market. People like to have their own choice in pump, and I'm not a retailer, just a guy with a hobby and a background in mechanical engineering and CAD design.

Last edited:

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
@ToWi1989 Very glad that you are bringing this project forward. I'm getting the Aquanaut as an entry to pump block combo. It would be interesting if you're also getting it and then do comparison testing with your prototype/design.

I also think some empirical data from testing the prototype would be a great help to convince people to join, myself included, and help the project pick up significant steam. So just lurking until then ?

ToWi1989

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 26, 2020
Thanks! Just to let you guys know, I'm still working on it, but taking things slow. I'm waiting for zen 3 before stepping in on the AM4 platform. This weekend im picking up all the watercooling stuff i need for my ghost s1 build, and I will double check all measurements for the pump area of the block. All parts like mounting screws, springs, o-rings and cold plate have arrived in the meanwhile.

Reactions: thelaughingman

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Yes!! I am interested!
To be fair, the spare Magnitude FLAT Coldplate cost 41EUR https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-quantum-magnitude-coldplate-flat-nickel
I think for 160 without pump, I expect to be nickel-plated!
Do you think it is possible?

Also, I suggest to keep the AM4 backplate for the mounting system, if possible! Or a general EKWB is fine as well.

Eveything easy to source, works for me!

ToWi1989

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 26, 2020
I'm planning on using an EKWB backplate since it uses M4 thread instead of the 6/32 or whatever it is the stock AM4 plate has. I realy wanted to use 'standard' shoulder bolts with matching springs and couldnt find anything UNC that would work as intended.

Reactions: fabio

Ilyu

Trash Compacter
Nov 6, 2019
I am interrested aswell, looking at reviews the magnitude seems to perform really well. I guess this combination could be the am4 holy grail :)

Reactions: fabio

matador1182

Chassis Packer
Feb 16, 2020
I'm pretty interested as well, I was planning on doing this myself but making use of the optimus cold plate, and project free flow is taking a while. Your design defo looks sleek as hell

Last edited:

matador1182

Chassis Packer
Feb 16, 2020
Also from the renders I can tell that 4 of the screws are making contact with actual flood. Most screws are made out of steel, and I know so are some/most jetplates but still I can see the potential for galvanic corrosion

That concern aside this is my speculation about how your design works, water goes into inlet hole comes out of centre hole. Gets spun by ddc then sent out through the right hole (in the ddc cut out), then from there how is the water flown over the cold plate and out through the outlet?

Can you put up more pics without the acetal top - topless aha looll

Last edited:

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Thanks! Just to let you guys know, I'm still working on it, but taking things slow. I'm waiting for zen 3 before stepping in on the AM4 platform.
now that Zen 3 is announced, any idea how it might influence your design yet? and will you be getting one of the new chip? Personally I'm debating between the 5900X and 5950X ?

matador1182

Chassis Packer
Feb 16, 2020
So I found some performance metrics between the magnitude and the optimus block https://www.tenforums.com/pc-custom...gv2-verses-ek-magnitude-cpu-water-blocks.html , and according to this the optimus is about 4C cooler. I mean their cold plates are the densest I've ever seen and I'm so surprised they're CNC'd and not skived

I know this is a long shot but I don't suppose you'd consider modifying your design to incorporate the optimus block would you ?