Alphenföhn Blackridge with NF-A 12x15 on B450i for upcoming Mjolnir (Air cooled)

Ovni

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jan 3, 2020
As a part of the fun I always try to find nice 2nd hand stuff. In this case a Blackridge and a Gygabyte b450i. So I saved some money and sent it to Alex for a Mjolnir;-)

As far as I read every body is going to build a 9 3950 system with Aio. I don't, I will use air only. Here you see how I made a BR fit on a B450:

To get it fit I had to take out a part of the fan. It was done with a dremel. The 4 holes for the 92mm fan had to be sanded, otherwise the fan blades would scratch them. This is the version with the old Am 2, 3 & 4 socket. I cut away the 2 & 3 version to get it smaller. (If you buy a new one you don't have to do this to get it fit)

Here are some other pictures. There is no processor on the board, so the hole system will rise 1 or 2 mm I suppose.

freonlike groetnis,
Ger

(PS. to mods; I know, only speak English here. But this is nothing else than "Sincerely" in Frisian)

rapidshrub

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2019
Just pointing something out that you might not have noticed... my Aorus B450 I has the exact same wound from the Black Ridge. I'm pretty sure that I did it uninstalling the cooler.

Last edited:

Ovni

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jan 3, 2020
That's the reason I cut a part off. On the other side the brackets rested on the smp parts. That could be a reason that the BR has no good full contact with the cpu. I think this is why Alphenföhn now delivers the BR with brackets for AM4 only.
Quite important because I'm considering a 9 3900x and under volt it like a 9 3900 pro. But due to the much greater fan I think I don't have to bring it completely back to a 65 Watt TDP.

beastmonkey

Chassis Packer
Jan 23, 2020
So if you get a revision 2 black ridge it will work natively with the am4 bracket on the gigabyte b450i? Will the new revision work with all b450 itx boards?

Reactions: fabio

Ovni

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jan 3, 2020
No certainly not. E.g. the strix boards have a soundcard plus nvme holder that is lifted from the motherboard. The blackridge won't fit with the cooling plate mounted on the ssd.