News Airtop 2 - Passively-cooled SFF?

Apparently, it has two versions. Linus has made a video about it. Pretty interesting. Thoughts?

Non-Inferno:

Inferno:

Master of Cramming
Nov 5, 2016
Just saw that as well. Holy smokes it's impressive.
It's fairly big tho, sitting at 11 liters. But heck some cases at that volume still suffer at cooling with active components

RenG

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 17, 2016
Just saw that as well. Holy smokes it's impressive.
It's fairly big tho, sitting at 11 liters. But heck some cases at that volume still suffer at cooling with active components
It is indeed impressive. All I'm thinking was how to apply it to my S4M-C XD. From the specs, I believe it is 7.65 L.

XeaLouS

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 29, 2015

Saw this today. Why spend all those $$$ on our custom cases if this place does it smaller and quieter?

DISCUSS!!11!!

Edit: Thanks for moving it mr. moderator, didn't realise there was an existing topic

Last edited:

kaffi

Caliper Novice
Jan 25, 2018

Saw this today. Why spend all those $$$ on our custom cases if this place does it smaller and quieter?

DISCUSS!!11!!
that was actually a really impressive case, super expensive but the features were extensive and surprisingly customizable.

DontPeek

Trash Compacter
Oct 17, 2016
This seems to be more impressive one though:

Wow, that's amazing. I mean it seems perfect except the price and the aesthetics. Over $2300 without RAM, storage, etc? Doesn't seem like an unfair price given the features but not really a price I can personally justify.

I wonder if they could make a cheaper, lighter version that uses a couple VERY low RPM fans. It's wide enough at the top for a 140mm or a couple 120mm fans. I feel like you would still get something virtually just as silent, but without the heft.

Last edited:

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
to be honest, the part that impress me the most is how custom they made that motherboard. Its the kind of thing that apple would do (Internally)
the storage options is very impressive as well.

but its kinda ugly on the front panel IMHO :/

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
It'd be pretty nice looking if they cleaned up that front panel. It looks like they felt they needed to fill up the space on the front, which is really the wrong approach. Ditch the rather pointless LCD, declutter the front I/O labels, and delete or minimize the logo and you could have something pretty appealing. And yeah, that red on the Inferno version has to go.

Reactions: owliwar

RenG

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 17, 2016
It'd be pretty nice looking if they cleaned up that front panel. It looks like they felt they needed to fill up the space on the front, which is really the wrong approach. Ditch the rather pointless LCD, declutter the front I/O labels, and delete or minimize the logo and you could have something pretty appealing. And yeah, that red on the Inferno version has to go.
Needs more minimalism. But maybe they can leave that screen but make it customizable?

Last edited:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I hope this unleashes the design beast in you and we get a sleek-looking passive case project as result !

Obligatory power-up GIF.

Reactions: AleksandarK

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
I hope this unleashes the design beast in you and we get a sleek-looking passive case project as result !
I used to play around with more out-there, experimental concepts like that. For example, rooting around my sketchup projects folder, here's one from 2009:

This was intended to be a semi-passive, back-to-back design, using a combination of passive radiators (like you'd find in the back of a refrigerator), and "Phaseplane" vapor chambers (a type of flat, flexible heatpipe) connecting the GPU/CPU to a more typical copper heatpipe heatsink at the top with fans on it. The idea being, during idle you could have the fans turned off and the side radiators would be sufficient to dissipate the heat generated, then under load you could switch on the fans to deal with the extra heat.

The passive radiators were based on a real passive PC case design being developed by a small company at the time, though AFAIK they only ever built them to order as product samples, and I don't think they ever really got it off the ground. The innovation there was not the radiators per se (as mentioned, they're the same thing as used in refrigerators), but a passive pump design rather than an electrically-driven compressor to move the working fluid/vapor around the loop, that was entirely driven by changes in pressure. Silverstone showed a similar sort of pressure-driven pump a couple of years back in an AIO (albeit liquid-only rather than phase-change), though it never did come to market.

Anyway, cases with integrated cooling like this can really only be sold as complete systems, since they require very specific parts. Business-wise, that's a whole other can of worms, which I have no real desire to get into. These days I'm much more focused on designing things that can be used with standardized parts, rather than high concept stuff like this. It's a lot more accessible, and there's still plenty of room for optimization.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Interesting ! To think that design is already 9 years old !

The passive radiators were based on a real passive PC case design being developed by a small company at the time, though AFAIK they only ever built them to order as product samples, and I don't think they ever really got it off the ground. The innovation there was not the radiators per se (as mentioned, they're the same thing as used in refrigerators), but a passive pump design rather than an electrically-driven compressor to move the working fluid/vapor around the loop, that was entirely driven by changes in pressure. Silverstone showed a similar sort of pressure-driven pump a couple of years back in an AIO (albeit liquid-only rather than phase-change), though it never did come to market.
Not so long ago there was also Calyos: http://www.calyos-tm.com/

Reactions: owliwar