News MonsterLabo 16L Passive Case

Happened across some targeted advertising the other day that interested me! This looks like a new company coming into the case and cooling market. Interesting concept that looks like the early Calyos passive cooling setup, though it looks like this one uses regular old heat pipes rather than the phase change cooling that Calyos uses.

Some things that I found interesting:
  • From looking at some Facebook comments it looks like the case will be pretty expensive at 300-400 euros.
  • The heatsink is shared between the CPU and GPU
  • Could probably drop to 10-12L if someone cut off the lower portion where they have space for a Full ATX PSU.
  • No direct access to MB/GPU IO? It looks like the cables may be run through the side of the case since the ports are downward facing and I don't see access to them.
What're your thoughts on it?

Duality92

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 12, 2018
The owner of the company, who I speak to almost weekly, she used to be the PR rep for Calyos, but left to start her own company with this case.

From my understanding, I'll be getting one of the first cases and I'll be building a i5 8600K (5.2 capable) with a GTX 1070 system in it.

Direct access to ports would be too difficult because of the location of the CPUs on various motherboards, since the heatsink is part of the case, it's the motherboard that changes places.

It's a step in the right direction though. I'd imagine this case to have great cooling with only a small bottom or top fan, imagine it with a 180mm silverstone AP.

Fanless SFF that satisfies the general population is what they're aiming at.

Also, I don't feel it's expensive for a Case, GPU and CPU cooler.

Last edited:

Lee.III.Will

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jun 7, 2017
The owner of the company, who I speak to almost weekly, she used to be the PR rep for Calyos, but left to start her own company with this case.

From my understand, I'll be getting one of the first cases and I'll be building a i5 8600K (5.2 capable) with a GTX 1070 system in it.

Direct access to ports would be too difficult because of the location of the CPUs on various motherboards, since the heatsink is part of the case, it's the motherboard that changes places.

It's a step in the right direction though. I'd imagine this case to have great cooling with only a small bottom of top fan, imagine it with a 180mm silverstone AP.

Lots of great information here, thanks Duality! I'll be looking forward to seeing your build and what temps you get in a passive as well as semi passive setup! I could see some really awesome temps with low RPM's on a huge fan like that(not to mention it'd be inaudible)!

The access to ports makes a lot of sense with different motherboards. I've got the DB4 currently and can see the logic when thinking back to mounting the heatpipes and thinking about motherboard selection! I think it'd be a cool project to mod in a custom port panel into the case. Almost something like keystone jacks for outlet panels but something with 1x HDMI, 1x DP, 2x USB etc etc with extensions that plug into the MB/GPU IO. I may have to see about picking one up and making a custom back panel(possible design something in F360 and get some STL's out there for others).

For a passive/semi passive solution like this, I could probably live with the price. I felt a little uneasy when spending $300 on my DB4, $45 on the LH6 Heatpipe kit and another $45 on the GPU kit but really love the case when it comes down to it!

Duality92

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 12, 2018
no problem!

if I take for example the Palit 1050 Ti KalmX, which is passive, it has two heat pipes covering a LARGE and dnese fin array. I expect this case to be able to easily create natural convection and excel. The one and only worry I have, is I feel the fins are not dense enough, but in a way, this might be better since the delta T of each will be great than a denser array, potentially helping create higher velocity natural convection.

My 1050 Ti KalmX review : https://www.overclock.net/forum/dbtreview.php?do=view_review&id=7584

edit : here is the interesting specs

it can fit the vast majority of market GPUs, good storage options, claiming to be capable of cooling a GTX 1080 and i7 8700K and has a middle bracket to house a 120 or 140mm fan. I'd put a PWM bequiet! Silent Wings 3 140mm or a Phanteks F140MP here personally.

GPU maximum length
270 mm
Power supply format
ATX / SFX
3.5" HDD slot
2.5" SSD slot
Fan slot
140 mm or 120 mm
CPU passively cooled
Up to i7 8700k
GPU passively cooled
Up to GTX 1080

Last edited:

Lee.III.Will

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jun 7, 2017
That'd be really interesting to compare if Monsterlabo did some fin density tests. I could see a higher fin density being better for active cooling but I think the lower density should, like you said, help with natural convection allowing more natural airflow. I'm guessing they probably tested a few setups or maybe she knew something from some tests that Calyos ran during their testing possibly. Either way it's an absolute MASSIVE heatsink and I'm excited to see how it performs!

Just saw that they posted on their Facebook about getting back a final sample in September and at least an order of 120(possibly more) placed.

Pretty exciting to see something like that come together from a smaller company!

Duality92

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 12, 2018
I think she learned off Calyos on how to do things in an order that appeals the masses, contrary to Calyos which is aiming to be a year late so far as they're silent to all media and PC Enthusiast. Everyone's emails are left empty, it was a great concept, but I think they're having a hard time making ends meet with production/universal compatibility and media commitment.

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
oh, this catch my eye! this heatsink is massive and I really dig that fin density. very interesting thinking they are going on with
cant wait to see more, thanks for the info :)

Duality92

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 12, 2018
Thinking about this yesterday night, I think they should've went with only SFX PSU support and shave some mm's from the bottom. at 200*200*400, they could've shaved 200*200*86.5 by having a horizontal PSU instead of vertical option for the ATX. Resulting in 200*200*313.5 which equates to 12.54L, a reduction of like 22%.

BUT one thing about natural convection is that having a longer case, it actually helps create higher velocity. If you had a radiator like the Alphacool Monsta 120mm in square tubing without any fans with and a few feet of tubing on each side, you'd get much higher cooling capacity than let's say having it just fanless with four screws as feet.

Edit : Also, the owner posted on FB yesterday a picture of the purchase order for 20 prototype cases at their manufacturer in China!

This is already quite a few steps ahead of what Calyos was/is doing.

chyll2

Master of Cramming
Jun 27, 2018
I do agree with the SFX. Mini-ITX case should really scrap ATX PSU compatibility (unless it allow. The SFX format has really gone a long way and is generally available to the masses now (albeit at a higher cost than ATX).

Anyway, I am not the intended market of this product but I will cheer on them for doing something unique for the SFF community.

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
one way I get way they would go for Atx psu. here in Brazil sfx psu are non-existent (and mini itx almost dead as well). Even in paraguai, that we have open borders with its hard finding sfx psus.
I'm not sure if thats something like, 'third world problem' or something like that because we have a shitton of expensive stuff as well and not that much space to be honest.

greyhound

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 21, 2018
looks intresting, with an sfx psu it would be even better...(btw they should at least position the psu horizontal)

Duality92

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 12, 2018
I'm wondering if they'll keep an up-to-date list of compatible boards and GPUs, I'll ask later today :)

For GPUs, I'm assuming it's the vast majority, it's motherboard I'm worried about, but then again, ITX can't have the CPU socket in too many places.

Ideally, they would make a panel for the rear with four USB, HDMI and Display post with panel mounted extensions, but one could easily make one of these to place in the PSU slot not being used. Even if it would be an extra Add-on.

edit :

I'm continuously trying to think of how to best use this case. Natural convection velocity increases with higher delta in ambient temperature in relation to the item generating the heat. This means that the lower our intake temperature, the "faster" it'll cool. If you have higher work loads and a lot of storage, I'm sure you can rise your intake temperature quite a few degrees, thus rendering it more inefficient. If it had a bottom compartement, in which the PSU would intake air that'd go over the storage, then out the PSU and case, while the passive section would have it's own section, it would, in theory, be more efficient.

I can't wait to test this case :eek: !!

Last edited:

Duality92

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 12, 2018
Had a good talk with the owner today, theoretically, I should get my sample before the end of September, early October. The first back has 20 samples sent by plane for reviewers and internal testing, but it much bigger than that. I discussed with her a few things, but I'll save what I find for the review :)

edit : from these pictures, you can only put a middle fan with a SFX PSU.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015

Some things that I found interesting:
  • From looking at some Facebook comments it looks like the case will be pretty expensive at 300-400 euros.
  • The heatsink is shared between the CPU and GPU
  • Could probably drop to 10-12L if someone cut off the lower portion where they have space for a Full ATX PSU.
  • No direct access to MB/GPU IO? It looks like the cables may be run through the side of the case since the ports are downward facing and I don't see access to them.
What're your thoughts on it?

From my understanding, I'll be getting one of the first cases and I'll be building a i5 8600K (5.2 capable) with a GTX 1070 system in it.

It's a step in the right direction though. I'd imagine this case to have great cooling with only a small bottom or top fan, imagine it with a 180mm silverstone AP.

This pic from the website I found interesting...

Now, all the images we have seen (including this one) have a SFX PSU mounted on the left side, but the back panel looks like it has an ATX mounting point on the left & a SFX mounting point on the right...?!?

My main question(s) are:

1 - Where is the air coming in...? The outer enclosure looks solid, and there does not look to be enough height on the feet to make bottom intake very efficient...?

2 - Which header would control the only fan...? I would think chassis temp, for overall balanced cooling of both CPU & GPU...?

3 - How well does the outer enclosure seal up & will there be a dust filer on the bottom..? If using an internal fan, this would be a negative pressure system...

I could see an i7 8700 (non-K) & GTX 1070 Ti in here, with a Platinum SF600...!

Duality92

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 12, 2018
This pic from the website I found interesting...

Now, all the images we have seen (including this one) have a SFX PSU mounted on the left side, but the back panel looks like it has an ATX mounting point on the left & a SFX mounting point on the right...?!?

My main question(s) are:

1 - Where is the air coming in...? The outer enclosure looks solid, and there does not look to be enough height on the feet to make bottom intake very efficient...?

2 - Which header would control the only fan...? I would think chassis temp, for overall balanced cooling of both CPU & GPU...?

3 - How well does the outer enclosure seal up & will there be a dust filer on the bottom..? If using an internal fan, this would be a negative pressure system...

I could see an i7 8700 (non-K) & GTX 1070 Ti in here, with a Platinum SF600...!

As far as the plate goes, it's reversible from my understanding, it's a modular platform that will have options in the future. It was made in a way that it can be personalized. I didn't want to say this much, but I want to answer your questions! :)

Intake air will have the unused PSU slot and the bottom as far as feet go, we haven't seen anything yet. As the drawings and prototypes didn't have any, but I'm sure there will be some.

I feel the chassis will seal well enough for natural convection to work as efficiently as this system is made to be.

Reactions: Boil

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
As far as the plate goes, it's reversible from my understanding, it's a modular platform that will have options in the future. It was made in a way that it can be personalized. I didn't want to say this much, but I want to answer your questions! :)

Intake air will have the unused PSU slot and the bottom as far as feet go, we haven't seen anything yet. As the drawings and prototypes didn't have any, but I'm sure there will be some.

I feel the chassis will seal well enough for natural convection to work as efficiently as this system is made to be.

I could see the unused PSU opening with custom inserts for extensions to the internally located rear I/Os...

Which would make the only air intake from the bottom, so this should have a dust filter...?

This is a very interesting chassis, looking forward to seeing a build-up & report of asst. temps...!

Duality92

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 12, 2018
I could see the unused PSU opening with custom inserts for extensions to the internally located rear I/Os...

Which would make the only air intake from the bottom, so this should have a dust filter...?

This is a very interesting chassis, looking forward to seeing a build-up & report of asst. temps...!

I think a dust filter would hinder the convection too much and would actually cause temps to rise considerably, but it's definitely something I can test when I get it.

Reactions: Boil

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
If I were building one of these, I would use a Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM chassis fan, or the 140mm version of the same, which is supposed to be available second half of 2019 (from Noctua website)...

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
One thing that I find amusing, the 24-pin that comes with my SF600 would need replaced with a LONGER cable for use in this chassis, as the motherboard placement would have most 24-pin connectors towards the top of the chassis...!

Last edited: