Aerocool Dream Box - Modular build your own PC

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Yup. I've been chasing aerocool for a review unit, but haven't heard anything yet. Iirc the case was first previewed early this year

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Seen it, and it's definitely the easiest-to-mod "case" I've ever seen.

Though I don't see how it will be more interesting than MakerBeam-based cases out there, it will certainly look better than those.
On the other hand, it will also be a lot more expensive.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Looks like an interesting aluminium extrusion variant, particularly if it's only PC cases you intend to use it for. The compression clamp fixings certainly look easier to use than T-slot nuts, if a lot less sturdy or elegant, but I could see the lack of compatibility with standard extrusion fixings being a pain in short order, particularly the requirement to use their fairly chunky proprietary end-to-end fixings rather than chopping the extrusion and butting it up with a bent plate to fix it.
RRP appears to be £90 in the UK. Once you've bought all the extrusion, brackets and fixings for regular aluminium extrusion, that's not a huge amount more than you'd pay for rolling your own kit. Makerbeam/Microrax would be quite a bit cheaper, but less sturdy.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
The Lego/Technics kid in me wants to buy this, sit on the floor with my legs crossed and have tiny stars in my eyes when I'm assembling a case. Added to the wishlist !

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I also thought of LEGO, K-Nex as well. I haven't seen anything like those extrusion bars before and they would look more suited for SFF cases than the bulky 1-inch cross sections you normally find for metal extrusion stock. Interesting choice of T-shaped connectors instead of threading the bars with long screws to connect them directly. I'm sure they did that to add more reusability.

The only other cases I've seen that use skinny extrusion bars are these Sunmilo cases which I haven't found the bars sold on their own.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I found another site selling extruded beams as small as 5mm: http://www.nanobeam.us
They come in different anodized colors. Maybe not be sturdy enough for cases over 1ft long but for very small cases they might work.