Acrylic Prototyping

D

DelUser6216

Original poster
Ooh yes, the case...

I'm really taking it one step at a time with my build, I started with scrap wood (lol), then on to MXF particle board (current case), and now acrylic and I hope in the future that I could create my case out of aluminum/steel or ABS. I also desire to use Parvum's Modding Cubes to create a very very modular hotswap build. Then I'll spray paint the acrylic to make the case look better.

I had my first feel of acrylic sheets and acquired a sample recently so these questions are in the context of if I go to home depot and scratch build my own case, drill the fan holes and screws whatnot, file the vents. What specific type or brand of acrylic should I be looking for? We're talking easy to handle 1-3mm. And through all of this, how should I cut the acrylic? A boxcutter and karate chop? Or should I just dial it up to table saw?

And then there's custom made acrylic pieces you can get. I've heard of TAP Plastics, and I assume that someone here or another place sourced acrylic from them, is there anything else like that manufacturer? I can't find anything... but I definitely have the budget for a case in this manner.

Are these places good to start? Yeah there's some fundamentals to understand.
http://www.bit-tech.net/guides/modding/a_modders_guide_to_acrylic/1/
https://gizmodo.com/5922506/everything-you-need-to-make-kick-ass-custom-case-mods

Reactions: Phuncz

neilhart

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 18, 2017
Ooh yes, the case...

I'm really taking it one step at a time with my build, I started with scrap wood (lol), then on to MXF particle board (current case), and now acrylic and I hope in the future that I could create my case out of aluminum/steel or ABS. I also desire to use Parvum's Modding Cubes to create a very very modular hotswap build. Then I'll spray paint the acrylic to make the case look better.

I had my first feel of acrylic sheets and acquired a sample recently so these questions are in the context of if I go to home depot and scratch build my own case, drill the fan holes and screws whatnot, file the vents. What specific type or brand of acrylic should I be looking for? We're talking easy to handle 1-3mm. And through all of this, how should I cut the acrylic? A boxcutter and karate chop? Or should I just dial it up to table saw?

And then there's custom made acrylic pieces you can get. I've heard of TAP Plastics, and I assume that someone here or another place sourced acrylic from them, is there anything else like that manufacturer? I can't find anything... but I definitely have the budget for a case in this manner.

Are these places good to start? Yeah there's some fundamentals to understand.
http://www.bit-tech.net/guides/modding/a_modders_guide_to_acrylic/1/
https://gizmodo.com/5922506/everything-you-need-to-make-kick-ass-custom-case-mods

I am not a great fan of acrylic as a case material. I use acrylic for case windows. Normally I choose black ABS sheets for my prototype builds. See for an example: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/my-ryzen-scratch-build-hackintosh.3630/

I find acrylic too brittle where the ABS material is far more forgiving. The ABS is easy to cut with normal hand saws although can be cut on a table saw given you use a correct blade (80 tooth 10 inch blade in my saw). Jig saws also work well if you slow the blade speed down otherwise the heat created at the cut causes the ABS to melt and rejoin.

I use an ABS solvent found in the plumbers section of hardware stores (used for ABS pipe and works great on the sheet material).

neil

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Hello there, ferdiptsy!

I have used a variety of plastics for whole case mods. Cell-cast Acrylic (Chemcast is my favorite brand, obtainable from Tapp or Delvies Plastics) is my favorite for making cases.

My TL;DR on plastics I have worked with and or learned about working with:

Extruded acrylic:
  • Don't ever use this stuff.
  • This is what most people think of when they think of acrylic.
  • Pros are it is cheap, and readily available
  • Cons are that it looks crappy, shatters/cracks easy, and scratches easy.
  • It does come in loads of colors and finishes...but still don't be tempted
  • $
Cell-cast acrylic (chemcast brand)
  • Optically clear, beautiful, and comes in loads of colors and finishes.
  • Machinable
  • Safe to cut on a laser
  • Durable and scratch resistant (for acrylic)
  • Weldable (IPS liquid Weld-on is my favorite)
  • Polish-able
  • Rigid
  • $$$
Polycarbonate (Lexan)

• Poor optical quality
  • Scratches by looking at it and scratches can't be repaired (well, without expensive dangerous gasses anyway)
  • Can't be polished
  • Harder to machine than cell-cast acrylic but easier to hand work
  • Comes in lots of colors
  • EXTREMELY durable and shatterproof.
  • Flexible
  • $$$$

ABS
  • Easy to work with hand tools
  • Difficult to machine--is gummy and melts--but possible
  • Can be laser cut, but edges warp a bit more than others
  • Ugly
  • built Ford tough and forgiving to work with
  • $
Kydex (or PVC)
  • Don't make a case out of this. It is for forming and that's it.
  • Hard surface and durable
  • Horrible to machine
  • Laser cutting will kill you and corrode your machine (produces extremely toxic fumes)
  • If it gets too hot with melt and crumble...cut slowly with hand tools if possible.
  • $$

HDPE (higher grades)
  • Machinable
  • Food safe! Yay! ...We don't care about this
  • Can be laser cut
  • Ugly
  • On the low end it is durable. On the high end it is extremely durable. It is a good product to make tough parts out of.
  • $-$$$ (depending on grade)
Delrin/Acetal
  • Best machinability due to temperature resistance
  • Does not expand or contract as much as other plastics (you see this alot in high end liquid cooling)
  • Foodsafe and comes in medical grades as well
  • Can be laser cut
  • I love the finish quality, but only comes in black or "natural" that I have found
  • $$$$$

My TL;DR?

If you have the budget, machine the structural parts out of Delrin (like the motherboard tray and braces) and non load bearing panels use cell-cast acrylic for beauty and their shatter resistant properties. They are very easy to work with and you can use the same machines but different feed rates. Delrin machines almost like wood, but Acrylic like...glass. I find that if you machine acrylic right you get little glasslike crystal shards. If you get strands your feedrate or tool is too fast. I'm not an expert machinist by any means but I have built more computer cases out of plastic than I can count. You could also make the motherboard tray out of Plexan, but keep in mind it's not as rigid as cell cast acrylic or delrin.