Advice on thermals in Custom Mod FX 4.7L - case/GPU run hot

outtatheblue

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Mar 2, 2020
Hoping to get some advice on helping temps in a small enclosed case...

My current build is in an FX 4.7L with this hardware:
CPU & CoolerRyzen 5 3400g
Alpenfohn Black Ridge
GPUSapphire R9 Nano
MotherboardMSI B450i gaming
PSUCustom Enhance 7660b
Storage250gb m.2
500gb 2.5"

For the most part, the system runs well, just very hot especially after relatively short gaming sessions (a little over an hour). Running CS:GO at 1080p high for an hour ramps the GPU temp to 75C and above and the fan runs high RPMs to where it's very audible. The case ends up being pretty hot to the touch. The PSU certainly doesn't help the cause either since it heats up the bottom of the case...tradeoff for a silent Flex unit.

I noticed the front of the case being the hottest. Seems like it's the path of least resistance for the hot air to push through. I tried gaming with the GPU side panel off, and the air coming out of the case didn't feel as hot as if the panel was closed up, but the case was still pretty hot overall.

One option I've been considering is 3d printing some new side/front panels or brackets to attach some slim case fans for intake/exhaust to help the airflow and hopefully help the heat dissipate better. Another option was undervolting the Nano, though last time I tried to do so, the thermals weren't much different.

For anyone that also has a build in this case (or even in the K39 since they seem to be similar dimensions/features), what did you do to help control or alleviate the heat build up in the case?

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
Try removing your IO shield. You have 100% intake, but no active exhaust.... people have found that removing the IO shield eliminates a heat trap and reduces temps.

For your GPU, I would use MSI afterburner and set a custom fan curve. The nano targets 75 C and will do everything it can to keep it at 75. Personally, I'd run it a touch hotter for the sake of noise. Set 100% fan to 80 C and adjust the curve to your liking.

outtatheblue

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Mar 2, 2020
Thanks for the tips. Will try out the IO shield removal and the custom fan curve. I did notice after enabling Radeon Chill and targeting FPS around 60ish to match my monitor, the temps were more manageable at lower fan speeds, so a custom curve would likely help out more.