Oldtimer Cooler Master 270

lordzahl

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Feb 7, 2016
Hey,
Well this may not (yet) be a proper build log, but i need some advice.
My build is centered around the super old Cooler Master 270 case, which i fund by chance in the used market. (never seen another one since then).

My current hardware is:
Intel i5-6500 + Stock cooler
Asus Z170I Pro Gaming
1 x 8GB Ram
Seasonic SSP-300SUG 300W Flex-ATX 2.31
Asus RX470 Strixx 8GB
SSD + HD

Well the system does run mostly fine, but i want to upgrade the cooling concept. While the stock CPU cooler and the PSU (with a lot of cables) are not optimal, they run fine, and not too hot.

My biggest concern is the heating GPU. First, the GPU is already undervolted and returned to stock clocks. Therefore it stays within its original (max) TDP of ~120W and shows a typical average TDP of ~70W in Heaven. The GPU is upsid down (like in the S4 Mini e.g.) and has no slits in the case above the blower fans. The only airflow possible, is trough the slits on the side of the case (and above the CPU). Pics:
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/pcie-riser-card-sizes.601/

When i feel under load the temperature of the case, it is the hottest behind the GPU. All other parts are pretty much ok. Therefore also the GPU temperature very good at first (~70°C), but they rise, when the case is heated up. This takes some time, because its a lot of aluminium.

I saw that the sentry has an extra plate behind the GPU because of this? Does anybody now how that is supposed to work?
Has anybody an idea, how i could cool the backside of the GPU?
The case stands upright at the moment. and would in principle allow for 15mm thick 60mm case fans next to the Motherboard. It seems that at the GPU size, the cooler does not allow to install a 60mm fan there.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Last edited:
Reactions: ricochet

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
How much space do you have between the card and the case wall where the vents are? Is there an intake where you could suck cool air in to create positive pressure somewhere else? Room for a larger, thin fan up top perhaps?

lordzahl

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Feb 7, 2016
Between the card and the vents is about 10mm. There is no room for a big flat fan. But positive pressure might be possible. Maybe it might make sense to close the slits above the CPU and add two 60mm fans next to the motherboard (which is the bottom side, if the case is standing up), which suck air into the case. I guess i should order two fans and just test this.
Getting quiet 60mmx15mm fans is quiet difficult. Luckily the only ones i could find, only cost ~2.65€ :D.
If this does work, i might try to combine this with a (semi) passive AXP 100 RH.
I am also thinking of replacing my PSU to get rid of most of the cables. Maybe the 160W HDplex might be suited, as my systems peaks at about 180~190W.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
What about a slim fan above the CPU attached to the case right on the vents?

Couple that with some 60mm fans near the MB?

lordzahl

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Feb 7, 2016
For a fan above the CPU is at the moment no space. I would need another CPU cooler for that. If i can make room just above the PSU in the first picture, than there would probably also space for a 60mm fan (and even a thick 25mm fan).

I would like to keep the number of fans at a minium, so the system stays quiet at idle.