Storage Advice on HDD choice

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Feb 2, 2018
I'm thinking of getting two HDD's to set them up in a mirror RAID (within my Ncase M1) for general media storage. Not yet fully decided if I do go that route yet (2 things that I have still to decide on is the window side panel, if I like it or not; and the noise and thermals ofcourse).
In case I do go that route I am considering the Seagate Barrracuda 2.5" 5TB drives (smaller form factor, better space efficiency, but never had Seagate drives before), or the 3.5" WD Red 6TB drives (standard 3.5" form factor, good reputation and had them in the past with exellent overall experience, but a bit noisy).

Any advise on which ones to choose will be appreciated (if I do indeed go down that route).

P.S: Ideally I would have preferred to get 2x4TB SSD's but cost and wife agro isn't a nice combo... :)

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016
Seagate has one of the highest failure rates from all HDD market. I recommend you to go with toshiba or western digital ones.

Reactions: Phuncz

Shahmatt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 6, 2017
I recently bought the Firecuda and hope its durability will be good based on the 5 year warranty. I also have a 10 year old 250GB Seagate HDD that still works fine.

HDD failure rate is model specific and cannot be generalized by the brand. Buy something that's got plenty of warranty and hope for the best. It's all luck of the draw IMO.

Reactions: Thestarkiller32

Thestarkiller32

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 13, 2017
Thanks for the advice and suggestions guys.

Mind that not all 2,5" Drives are the same size! The Seagates are 7mm thicc and the WD ones mostly 9,5mm.

Reactions: MultiDoc

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Feb 2, 2018
I ve been looking into the subject for quite a few days now. I think that I made up my mind and will skip the mechanical HDDs altogether. It will keep both temps and noise down the way i prefer it and also get the extra benefit of speed and reliability. The original plan was to get 2x2.5" HDDs in the Ncase, but I guess it would do disjustice to the whole system. Also the optional side window for the Ncase will remain as a viable option too.
Now I need to start saving again for a couple big SSDs damn it :oops:. In the mean time the NAS will do ok i think.

Reactions: zovc

Thestarkiller32

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 13, 2017
I ve been looking into the subject for quite a few days now. I think that I made up my mind and will skip the mechanical HDDs altogether. It will keep both temps and noise down the way i prefer it and also get the extra benefit of speed and reliability. The original plan was to get 2x2.5" HDDs in the Ncase, but I guess it would do disjustice to the whole system. Also the optional side window for the Ncase will remain as a viable option too.
Now I need to start saving again for a couple big SSDs damn it :oops:. In the mean time the NAS will do ok i think.
...not everyone can afford a 2 TB SSD vor 600$