Log Small Mini-STX (mSTX) chassis with 3.5 inch HDD bay?

eicar

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Dec 28, 2023
My first topic: I've posted something similar over in the Unraid forums, but this is probably be a better place to ask the question.

Among my home lab plans is an option for a small off-site remote backup server. I would use the following basic components:
  • Kontron K3921-N1 Mini-STX (Intel N50, 2C/2T, 6W passive, DC input)
  • Kingston 8 GB DDR5 4800 SODIMM non-ECC (KVR48S40BS6-8)
  • Seagate IronWolf Pro HDD 22 TB
  • USB 2.0 9-pin header to dual Type-A connector splitter cable (for internal Unraid boot drive)
If you find any problems with the above build, let me know. 🙏 But the SATA power on the board is up to 12 V, so an HDD should be fine.

Problem is: I can't seem to find a Mini-STX (mSTX) chassis with an internal 3.5 inch HDD bay. The only ones I could find have one or two 2.5 inch HDD or SSD bay(s), e.g. the ones by Akasa.

Anyone know of such a chassis? (tia!)

The only important thing is that it should be as small as possible, while still being large enough to house a 3.5 inch HDD. But it needn't be passive; an active chassis would be fine, too, even with more than one fan. (I could just buy a PWM 4-pin splitter cable; the board only has one PWM header.)

If there is no such product, probably the only other option would be to use a Mini-ITX SFF chassis with 3.5 inch HDD support like the modular Milo 10 by SilverStone. In this regard I have a secondary question: obviously the rear I/O panel of a Mini-STX is different from a Mini-ITX panel. But are there I/O shield/backplate adapters from the STX to the ITX form factor?

PS: