Advice Advice for Custom-Mod SLM1

Thr45h

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Feb 19, 2024
New member starting my first SSF build.

Looking for advice before I order all my parts.

I've pre ordered Custom-mod SLM1, paint scheme is black with lime green side panels and stand with 1 type c front i/o

My peripherals

Keyboard - DUCKY 60% Year of the Rat limited edition with matching mousepad and red switches

So far the parts I've ordered

Case - SLM1 with 1 type c front i/o
($210) Custom-Mod

PSU - HDPLEX 250w GaN
($185) Ebay

Motherboard - Asus x670E-I Gaming Wifi
($290) B&H Used or OB score of 10/10 condition with all parts included. Considering the price of $425 new I think I got a steal.

CPU - Ryzen 5 7500F
($164) Aliexpress, Not positive I'm sticking with this

GPU - Gigabyte RTX 4060 OC LP
($320) B&H

What I'm considering but I'm open to suggestions.

PSU - HDPLEX 500w for more headroom, not sure if it will fit or not.

On a side note, if I stick with 250w I think Josh from NFC has a printable fan mount for it. I'll probably ad a 40mm noctua and paint the psu because everything else will be black.

PSU Cables - please if you know anyone that makes custom sleeve cables for HDPLEX send me the link. I've looked around and only saw black custom length. I'd like to add some color.

CPU - I bought the 7500F because it's practically the same as 7600 with no integrated graphics, 65 TDP. Not sure if it's worth going more powerful considering power consumption. I'm also considering Delidding to use either high quality thermal paste or liquid metal and using Noctua offset bracket with or without direct die with NH-L9a depending if there is a way to mod the bracket for direct die or offset, if not then liquid metal or high quality thermal paste with either thermal grizzly high performance heatspreader or direct die frame. If using thermal grizzly I do not need to use noctuas cooler but I need to remain under 39mm so I'm open to suggestions. Also I plan on undervolting cpu but I have no experience undervolting or any experience with Ryzen Cpus so not sure if undervolting with a higher tier cpu is worth it or just keep the 7500F.

Please comment I'm open to suggestions and any links to information you find. Just trying to get the best performance with the least amount of heat.

CPU Cooler ‐ more than likely Noctua NH-L9A but I'm open to suggestions. I obviously don't won't it to be obnoxiously loud but I'm open to other coolers that might offer better Temps. I've seen conflicting results. Maybe someone has some insight with the new Ryzen processors

Storage - open to suggestions. I've only used crucial p1 nvme on my most recent build for my son. My motherboard has option for gen 5 and gen 4. I may go with a small gen 5 for the operating system and large gen 4 for everything else or 2 gen 4s in raid 0. Thinking maybe western digital black. If you have some insight of a reputable brand and why I should choose that let me know.

Pcie riser - LINKUP AVA5 5cm because why not... my motherboard supports gen 5

GPU - Gigabyte 4060 OC low profile mod. I could really use some insight here. The case supports either 2x80mm fans or 2×60mm fans if I deshroud the GPU and remove the fans. It's not necessary I could just leave the stock fans on. I've seen 1 post testing thermals and the 2x80mm was 13 degrees lower than stock but didn't sound so pleasant according to him but the 2x60mm was 9 degrees better then stock and only a little more pleasant on the ears than stock. I wonder if making a 3d printed shroud would make any difference on temps or sound, maybe adding a gasket between the fans and the cooler? I don't have any experience messing with gpu fans I've only ever repaste one. He was also using the fan headers on his motherboard. Does anyone know what type of header and how many headers does the 4060 LP have? I Haven't gotten my hands on one yet I just ordered it today. Also considering getting copper shims, kapton tape, nail polish, k5 pro paste and repaste or liquid metal the die just to see how far I can take this. Anyone have experience with liquid metal on a gpu let me know your thoughts. Last but not least bios flashing. Ive seen a post on here that it has a dual bios so we can have a silent fan mode and also flash another bios that will deliver more power. As well as undervolting and overclock vram, then adjust the fan curve.

Please if anyone knows what type of header the gpu has let me know so I can order an adapter for 4pin fans.

Fans - I know noctua has the reputation for the best fans and I'll probably stick with them but I'm open to other options. I'm not a huge fan of rgb but I think having green/purple rgb fans would look awesome in this. If anyone knows any brand with rgb 80mm and 92mm fans that are close to the same performance and decibels as noctua let me know.

Ram - I'm a fan of gskill they used to be the king when I first got into pc building. I'll probably go with 32gb. Possibly 48 to future proof a bit. I feel like 8gb was the norm not long ago and now it's already 32. I watched a LTT video saying 5600 CL 28 was pretty much the sweet spot for price / performance. If anyone knows a good brand of low profile ddr5 under 47mm with rgb let me know. Also do yall think 32 or 48 gb? And what timings do you think are best for gaming?

Peripherals I need

Mouse - haven't looked into anything yet but open to suggestions that match my theme, black green and purple

Monitor - not sure yet I'm still looking into it. I used to have acer predator z35 200hz ultra wide when it first came out. Not sure if I want 1440 or 1080, I could do dual monitors with one landscape and one portrait. I might possibly get another ultrawide. Maybe a portable monitor?

Chair - I just recently threw away my DxRacer. I loved that chair but it was showing a lot of wear. I had it for like 10 years. I'll probably go with a secret labs.

Other thoughts...

I think dual boot windows 11 and Halo ISO Steam OS would be cool and use steam os on the big screen when I feel like playing rpgs.

Last thought. I've read a lot of stuff about this and I'm not sure if it will work or what I need to do to make it work. Everything I've read is contradicting I just don't think many people are familiar with Thunderbolt 4 on windows and I know very little about it. My motherboard has 2 usb 4 40gb ports that support input and output I believe. I want to have a USB c to dvi cable from my gpu to my motherboard and from my motherboard to a Thunderbolt dock or mobile monitor. That being said I don't know what all is involved in the bios to support it, if my cpu needs to have integrated graphics to allow a pass through? Right now I'm waiting on a 7500f which doesn't gave integrated graphics, but I'd be willing to change it if this would work or if it's required to work. I would probably also need the hdplex 500w if it fits in my case because the monitor would draw power from the lightning cable. If anyone knows if this is possible let me know. I know amd is just starting to support Thunderbolt but I'm very confused if this is supported or not with my motherboard.

Please let me know your thoughts and ideas. Pics to come and ideas to be shared. It will be awhile before it's all put together. I just ordered my case a couple days ago on pre-order with a 2 month lead time and the company is based in Ukraine so I have time to figure out what I want.

Thr45h

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Feb 19, 2024
Ohh I forgot something. If it's at all possible to have the pc turn on from blue tooth ps5 controller. If anyone has a guide or parts needed, that would be awesome.

Animag771

Caliper Novice
Feb 24, 2024
I'm not going to lie, I'm a slow reader and I haven't had my coffee yet... So halfway through my eyes glazed over and I had to stop reading.

I do have 3 useful pieces of advice for you though.

1: Don't get the L9a. I have it and regret it. It keeps my RAM modules too hot because the heatsink fins are oriented to blow the hot air directly at the RAM. Maybe they fixed this issue with the AM5 mounting (I'm on AM4) but regardless, you'd be better off with a Thermalright AXP90-X36 with a Noctua NF-A9X14HS fan swap. The heatsink and fan combo is still cheaper than the L9a and it performs slightly better while also not blowing hot air at the RAM.

2: Speaking of RAM... Yes, a 5600MHz CL28 kit is probably a good setup but I'd also look into 6000MHz CL30 because the latency is the same and you'll get a bit more frequency out of it for a similar price.

3: I'm not sure what the fan gap is between the GPU fans and the side panel but if it is less than about 5mm or so, I'd suggest adding a fan duct there. It should help with both temps and noise by reducing turbulence.

Good luck with the build. I also have an SLM1 but mine is the older 4L version designed for full height, single fan GPUs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thr45h

Thr45h

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Feb 19, 2024
Thank you for the advice, I found some nice info on some sub 40mm coolers and it seems my best choice would be thermalright axp90 x36, not sure what the best fan to pair with it would be.

Also about the ram, yes 6000mhz cl30 is what I'll be getting, I did not see any expo 5600mhz cl28. Still probably getting gskill.

Not sure what you mean by fan duct on the 80mm fans, so you have an example?

Animag771

Caliper Novice
Feb 24, 2024
Thank you for the advice, I found some nice info on some sub 40mm coolers and it seems my best choice would be thermalright axp90 x36, not sure what the best fan to pair with it would be.

Also about the ram, yes 6000mhz cl30 is what I'll be getting, I did not see any expo 5600mhz cl28. Still probably getting gskill.

Not sure what you mean by fan duct on the 80mm fans, so you have an example?
Yeah TechTaxi did a good comparison test. As for the fan, the Thermalright fan is fine for cooling but it'll be a tiny bit louder than a Noctua. I'd personally go for a NF-A9X14HS for the best performance and lowest noise. It's also 1mm slimmer than the Thermalright fan which will give you a bigger gap between the fan and panel to avoid additional turbulence noise.

Here is a good video that explains the fan ducts/spacers. You don't have to make them with a 3D printer. You can make them out of anything.... Plastic, foam, cardboard, wood; whatever you have access to.

Last edited:

k0n

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 3, 2019
@Animag771 I know that 2°C is considered huge, but when I think of real-life scenarios, is it even worth talking about? I, for example, don't trust my mounting/paste application enough to reliably measure this difference out. Not to mention the fluctuating room temperature.

A comparison with the boxed heat sinks and the Alpine 17 LP would be interesting:

• Set the maximum acceptable noise.
  • Set the maximum acceptable temperature.
  • Adjust the power draw

How much extra draw do these heat sinks allow for? Few extra Watts, even fewer FPS/performance?

(Not saying the X36 isn't a good cooler option ~25€, a 50€ L9 for a 150€ CPU... ~something to maybe reconsider).