[Build Log] Greyman Sliger SM550

bnkl

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
New User
Dec 31, 2019
Hey SFF community,
Greetings from Ukraine and Happy New Year!

So, because I can't really wait for the next-gen I've decided to settle for this build.

Remarks on parts:
-Gigabyte Windforce 1080 - looking at a used one with a broken fan or something. I will make sure to test it with a seller, but I'm open to tips on how to make sure the card won't die on me in an hour of use before buying. That's why I've added to NF-F12 to frankenstein it. Don't care about inside looks really.
- The case itself is already $340 (both sides vented) - I've maxed out with filters and pigtail option + shipping. Now it is retained at customs, waiting for confirmation and a tax hammer ± $50 (maybe more) to the build :mad:

What my concerns are:
  1. What OC I might be able to do on this 1080, considering the only non-working part is cooler, which I'm replacing with better fans anyway.
  2. NH-L9a capabilities overclocking with Asus b450-i and Ryzen 2600. Reddit says it is stable @4.0 GHz, I'm more curious about temps and all.
  3. SF600 - can I expect to be more or less silent with oc'ed CPU&GPU?
  4. Ready to go config for this RAM?

All in all, I'm open to any thoughtful advice here as I'm desperate to get back on PC away from my MBP.

Cheerios,
    Pablo​

Wolfe1

Trash Compacter
Dec 12, 2019
This might help you with your decision on that power supply:

“At loads in excess of 350W, the fan noise is between 43 dB(A) and 46 dB(A)—that's anything but quiet. Given the SF600's observed efficiency, we believe the fan profile could be relaxed a bit without affecting reliability.”

I would say If you want a quieter system, go for the SF750 which will have to work a lot less to get the same power output

Reactions: bnkl

bnkl

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
New User
Dec 31, 2019
This might help you with your decision on that power supply:

“At loads in excess of 350W, the fan noise is between 43 dB(A) and 46 dB(A)—that's anything but quiet. Given the SF600's observed efficiency, we believe the fan profile could be relaxed a bit without affecting reliability.”

I would say If you want a quieter system, go for the SF750 which will have to work a lot less to get the same power output

what about nightjar from silvertek? It’ 450w, however the case will draw cold air from the side. It’s just a matter of wattage draw from cpu/gpu, not sure about it. Maybe @MarcParis will have thoughts on it as he mentioned it as his contender for the sm550 PSU

BTW - the broken 1080 is already sold :( so I’m left with nothing. I’m aiming for 120 FPS in most competitive games at 1080p.
Any advice? Rx580?

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Well forget this old sf600 gold review. Definitely Corsair updated sf600 gold since.
However my advice for silent gaming is sf600 platinum as base, depending on your final setup

Reactions: bnkl

bnkl

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
New User
Dec 31, 2019
Edit: Updated thread name according to my progress :) Really happy with what I've decided with, my savings though...
  • Almost finished purchasing parts.
  • The only thing left is 1080 Strix used I'm looking at my local "craigslist". It looks like in mint condition, used for gaming mostly. But I'll meet the seller IRL at my place and test it with him in FurMark and 3D Mark Fire Strike for 10 minutes each and see if there are some issues at stock or auto OC.
  • I'll post the build process Friday-Saturday next week as I'm waiting for parts to arrive.
Here are some images of my Sliger with comments.

Keep you posted
Thanks for the help here on the forum & discord

Reactions: MarcParis

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Edit: Updated thread name according to my progress :) Really happy with what I've decided with, my savings though...
  • Almost finished purchasing parts.
  • The only thing left is 1080 Strix used I'm looking at my local "craigslist". It looks like in mint condition, used for gaming mostly. But I'll meet the seller IRL at my place and test it with him in FurMark and 3D Mark Fire Strike for 10 minutes each and see if there are some issues at stock or auto OC.
  • I'll post the build process Friday-Saturday next week as I'm waiting for parts to arrive.
Here are some images of my Sliger with comments.

Keep you posted
Thanks for the help here on the forum & discord
On your way...:)

bnkl

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
New User
Dec 31, 2019
Finally completed.
Delayed the update for a few days due to work and wanting to enjoy this PC in games obviously.

Here are the photos :)

Just a few remarks concerning the case and parts I've got here.

1. Not a fan of M3 screws here. One of them got "screwed" with a wrong angle into the case (top panel, left-rear side) - had to do a drilling sesh :(
Another screw was... well I'd say with broken spiral, didn't hold in place. But it's small nuances actually.
2. What was a real downer for me here is the motherboard's HD audio placement + the power cord itself didn't fit it!!!
3. Cable management overall, but it was expected
4. Useless filters that made price skyrocket because customs

And of course great things about Sliger:

1. This thing pushes air so good that my hands are freezing sometimes :D
2. Piece of industrial art. Really well made piece of metal overall.
3. Building process is pretty straightforward, though it took me time anyway.
4. Happy to game & work in SFF

I'll be happy to share more details if anyone's interested. Only thing I've changed in my build from my previous post is downgrade to 1070 from 1080. Value ting.

Big thanks to this forum/discord and subreddit! I've learned so much more about pc building thanks to you guys!