First SFF Build! Need Some Thermal Advice..

Digital Cam

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Feb 18, 2020
Hello All!

I'm brand new to this forum and this is my first post so be easy on me please!! lol

I'm looking to build my first SFF pc on my own and I'm familiar with how to assemble a PC but not absolutely confident in making certain I don't have thermal issues. I've only ever built once in a larger ATX case with PLENTY of room so I want to make sure when I go to buy components for cooling, I know I've got the right stuff!

Let me break down my general thoughts for a build :

I'd like to build in the Ghost S1, Sidearmd T1, or Streacom DA2 using my current Zotac GTX1080 Mini and i7-8700K. Going to go to a SFF power supply (600w or 750w), M.2 drive, and all the other SFF goodies... I currently have a NZXT 280mm AIO that I'll probably have to give up and some other fans that I may be able to reuse BUT I want to cool this thing properly so I will change whatever needs changed!

I have zero clue how tricky the thermals are with an i7-8700K in these smaller cases. I know the i9-9900K can be tough and seems to a popular choice so I'm thinking "this 8700K should be a breeze!"

Any thoughts?

Thanks To All!

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Delid your 8700k, makes all the difference. I have a delidded 8700k I was using in a MI-6 cooled with a Big Shuriken 2 and it worked really well. 4.4 - 4.6 GHz and max temps were 75C. I saw a full 20C improvement in temps after delidding. Without delidding the 8700k is nearly as difficult to cool as the 9900k.

Reactions: Digital Cam

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Hello All!

I'm brand new to this forum and this is my first post so be easy on me please!! lol

I'm looking to build my first SFF pc on my own and I'm familiar with how to assemble a PC but not absolutely confident in making certain I don't have thermal issues. I've only ever built once in a larger ATX case with PLENTY of room so I want to make sure when I go to buy components for cooling, I know I've got the right stuff!

I'd like to build in the Ghost S1, Sidearmd T1, or Streacom DA2 using my current Zotac GTX1080 Mini and i7-8700K. Going to go to a SFF power supply (600w or 750w), M.2 drive, and all the other SFF goodies... I currently have a NZXT 280mm AIO that I'll probably have to give up and some other fans that I may be able to reuse BUT I want to cool this thing properly so I will change whatever needs changed!

I have zero clue how tricky the thermals are with an i7-8700K in these smaller cases. I know the i9-9900K can be tough and seems to a popular choice so I'm thinking "this 8700K should be a breeze!"

Any thoughts?

Thanks To All!
To be honest with you?
Right AMD zen 2 processors (from R5 3600 up to R7 3800X) are SFF build best friends, as they already have soldered IHS, easy to cool and great performer (in any case better than 8700K paired with GTX 1080).

Thus no need of 280mm AIO for them..:D

You can go to full scope of case like sandwich one (Sliger SM550 remains my best choice) that will provide best cooling for your GPU..:D
What else?..:)

Digital Cam

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Feb 18, 2020
Okay so I bought the DA2. If I'm using a 280mm AIO, do I need additional case fans? Or is the AIO enough? I mean the power supply has a fan and the GPU has a fan and the AIO has 2 140mm fans so I wasn't sure what a typical setup is like in a small case like this in regards to fans?

SFFJunkie

Cable Smoosher
Mar 13, 2020
To be honest with you?
Right AMD zen 2 processors (from R5 3600 up to R7 3800X) are SFF build best friends, as they already have soldered IHS, easy to cool and great performer (in any case better than 8700K paired with GTX 1080).

Thus no need of 280mm AIO for them..:D

You can go to full scope of case like sandwich one (Sliger SM550 remains my best choice) that will provide best cooling for your GPU..:D
What else?..:)

this is what i plan to do Ryzen 7 in a Dan V4.1 or SM550. Cant go wrong with it. No real need to go with AIO and comprimise on GPU.

Reactions: MarcParis

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Nothing being announced in March.
How unfortunate!
Hopefully, it is just the announcement that is being postponed but not the actual store availability of the cards.
If so, this might mean that the time gap between an official announcement and the subsequent actual retail availability is shorter now. My plan is to start a build around summer. I might have to use an old display card as an temporary substitute for the time being.

snailonni

Trash Compacter
Aug 27, 2019
Hello All!

Any thoughts?

Thanks To All!
I have 8700k and 1080ti sc2 combo. Heres my temp on cpu just for reference.
For CPU cooling, my 8700K cooled wonderfully with a 53mm clearance Air cooler after undervolt 60-75 C in gaming.
and after delid 50-60 gaming.

-------------------------------------------------
And I highly recommend p-atx case for downsizing if you don't mind the console size case. All I need to purchase is a air cooler and a sfx psu. I get to sold my old full size PSU which make up my aircooler money. (I did throw my EVGA 280mm clc away.)
Budget-friendly :)

Reactions: SFFJunkie