Advice Need Advice on the installation of my new CPU Cooler

LJA

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Oct 22, 2019
Hi people.
I've just bought a Be Quiet Dark Pro 4 to use with my current Lian Li tu 150x.
My rig: It's in my signature

1. Should I install the cooler outside the case? I think that might be easier to connect the fans that way and I've heard that is not exactly as user friendly as Noctua securefirm is, but I might be wrong.
  2. Is it possible to plug the Front Panel USB cables with the front fan installed? or I might be running into some space issues? (I've already had issues when I had a Noctua d15 with the USB3 and the USBc ones, this BeQuiet kind of looks like might be even more problematic). Does the Cooler loose too much of its perfomance If I'm not capable of installing the front fan? NOTE: I can't buy USB angle adaptors, I live in Argentina and it tooks too much time and end being extremely expensive, specially when all of them look to have a poor quality.
  3. I've seen that it gets really close to the back fan, I've already have there a slim Noctua one, should I keep it? is it necessary? or should I replace that one with a normal 25mm Noctua Nf-F12 (I know is more oriented for heatsinks)? I don't know if the differences in speed and airflow from the different models of fans involved might not end being counterproductive.

Well that's all, thanks in advance! and pardon my english since it ain't my first language. BTW any extra advice would be more than welcome too!
Hi people.

Last edited:

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Hi people.
I've just bought a Be Quiet Dark Pro 4 to use with my current Lian Li tu 150x.
My rig: It's in my signature

1. Should I install the cooler outside the case? I think that might be easier to connect the fans that way and I've heard that is not exactly as user friendly as Noctua securefirm is, but I might be wrong.
  2. Is it possible to plug the Front Panel USB cables with the front fan installed? or I might be running into some space issues? (I've already had issues when I had a Noctua d15 with the USB3 and the USBc ones, this BeQuiet kind of looks like might be even more problematic). Does the Cooler loose too much of its perfomance If I'm not capable of installing the front fan? NOTE: I can't buy USB angle adaptors, I live in Argentina and it tooks too much time and end being extremely expensive, specially when all of them look to have a poor quality.
  3. I've seen that it gets really close to the back fan, I've already have there a slim Noctua one, should I keep it? is it necessary? or should I replace that one with a normal 25mm Noctua Nf-F12 (I know is more oriented for heatsinks)? I don't know if the differences in speed and airflow from the different models of fans involved might not end being counterproductive.

Well that's all, thanks in advance! and pardon my english since it ain't my first language. BTW any extra advice would be more than welcome too!
Hi people.
1. It is hard for me to say as I have not built with this Lian Li Tu150 before. It really depends on your building skill and other subjective factors like how small/big are your hands...etc

2. There should be no space issue to plug the USB3 and USB-C with the front cooler fan in place. There are many examples. The pic below shows one:-

If you do not install the front (primary) fan, performance loss seems to be not very much.
Watch this video for an idea:-

3. A 25mm fan could be installed at the case rear. I would use the NF-F12 instead of the 12mm slim one.

Reactions: LJA and BaK

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Should I install the cooler outside the case? I think that might be easier to connect the fans that way and I've heard that is not exactly as user friendly as Noctua securefirm is, but I might be wrong.
When possible, I always try to install the cooler first. I find it's easier to attach it properly on the motherboard and double check it is. Furthermore when there is a backplate to add, I prefer to manipulate the motherboard only and not the whole case.

Reactions: LJA

LJA

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Oct 22, 2019
1. It is hard for me to say as I have not built with this Lian Li Tu150 before. It really depends on your building skill and other subjective factors like how small/big are your hands...etc

2. There should be no space issue to plug the USB3 and USB-C with the front cooler fan in place. There are many examples. The pic below shows one:-

If you do not install the front (primary) fan, performance loss seems to be not very much.
Watch this video for an idea:-

3. A 25mm fan could be installed at the case rear. I would use the NF-F12 instead of the 12mm slim one.

When possible, I always try to install the cooler first. I find it's easier to attach it properly on the motherboard and double check it is. Furthermore when there is a backplate to add, I prefer to manipulate the motherboard only and not the whole case.

Thanks to both of you!!!

I finally installed it outside the case, but I still don't know how I've managed to plug the CPU cable, I was really close to do all the process again.
Since the primary fan is more rounded, I could plug the USB3 cable. I've already have the slot dammaged froma prior installation, but still it worked.
I've installed the NF12 in the rear, I was going to mounted in the cooler itself, but since it's really close I put it in the case.
So I installed the Slim one in the front of the case as the only fan with an intake configuration.

When I have time I'll post some pics and I'll ask about some ideas I have.

Reactions: BaK