Prototype Oki-Doki : a GPU bifurcation and watercooling dedicated case, from 9 to 14L

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
@Kmpkt : I wish I could use your Dynamo mini instead of the HDPLEX 250 but the PCB is too high by ... 1 mm.
I do not want to damage the components at the back of the lower GPU.
So, according to you, what's the best way to sync the Dynamo 360 with the HDPLEX 250 ?
Recreate a sync cable that plugs into a motherboard fan header or directly into the 4-Pin Sata connector of the HDPLEX ?
I understand you need a 5V and and GND wire.

Not that I want to see that beautiful backplate get damaged, but it is 2mm thick and you could easily sand it down by 1mm for a perfect fit if you want to. Alternatively I can do this to a spare backplate I have or have a thinner backplate 3D printed and sent to you if you're not in a massive rush.

A second option here would be to create a shelf to suspend the Dynamo 360 over the motherboard. If you design this, I'll print it for you for cost of materials and shipping (likely very cheap).

With respect to syncing the Dynamo Mini to a fan header, I don't believe this will be possible as the two pins on the Mini are a 5V sense and a GND line - the sensing and switching are on the 360 unit. I'm just going to double check the pinout so I don't give you the wrong information if this is the direction you'd like to go.

Last edited:

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
I would say there are 3 options you can choose from.

Replace that PSU cluster with a single SFX/-L. There are still enough space for two Zotac Artic Storm 1080 ti Mini with length at 211mm

Still with the SFX, the intake side will be put against where the radiator fan is pulling air. The cards supported can be referenced size long, but height is limited to around 110mm

Third option is to have a PSU bracket for each GPU use case above. That is the compromise we have to make. It’s either length or girth, you cannot have both XD

Trying to reuse my SF600 was the first thing I tried ;)

However, it implied increasing the case length by minimum 5 mm to fit both the pump and the SFX PSU, "stacked" over the pump (112 mm clearance between the GPUs and the bottom of the case).
This option would make both hoses and wires routing pretty difficult.
At least in Rhino, I couldn't achieve a routing respecting the Tygon hose minimum bending radius.

Regarding your third option, I'm not sure understand what you mean ?

Not that I want to see that beautiful backplate get damaged, but it is 2mm thick and you could easily sand it down by 1mm for a perfect fit if you want to. Alternatively I can do this to a spare backplate I have or have a thinner backplate 3D printed and sent to you if you're not in a massive rush.

- Thanks a lot for your first proposal but the issue with the Dynamo mini is the PCB height.
In my particular case, I have around 35 mm clearance between the PCB of the lower GPU and the top of the motherboard 24-Pin connector.

I could use a 24-Pin extension but what the point !

A second option here would be to create a shelf to suspend the Dynamo 360 over the motherboard. If you design this, I'll print it for you for cost of materials and shipping (likely very cheap).

Do you mean a shelf for the Dynamo mini ? What do you mean by that ?

With respect to syncing the Dynamo Mini to a fan header, I don't believe this will be possible as the two pins on the Mini are a 5V sense and a GND line - the sensing and switching are on the 360 unit. I'm just going to double check the pinout so I don't give you the wrong information if this is the direction you'd like to go.

I meant syncing the Dynamo 360, not the Dynamo Mini, with the HDPLEX (in case I keep the HDPLEX 250W).
In my quick test, I tested the Dynamo 360 with the jumper on the PS_ON pins. As expected, everything connected to the Dynamo 360 remains ON even when the computer is shut down.
That's why I need to use the sync the Dynamo with the rest of the system, either by connecting the Sync pin of the Dynamo 360 to the motherboard, or to the HDPLEX powering the motherboard.

Last edited:

Testifier

Average Stuffer
Oct 16, 2017
How much space do you have between the top of the gpu (where the PCI-E power plug is) to the right fan + rad combo?

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
@Testifier : thanks for your interest ;)
As you can see from the first post of this thread, I already have a SF600, which had lots of bulk and is a bit noisy at load (while in my daily use case scenario, I do not break the 350W limit consumption).
I also have this EK SBAY combo that I intend to keep.

Testifier

Average Stuffer
Oct 16, 2017
You can use 15mm fans and have the extra 20mm add to the 47.850mm space in order to fit the SF600 there

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Do not forget I have my GPUs waterblocks inlet at this very spot.
Also, using slim fans is a no-go for me :)

As I wrote before, I'm going to replace the SF600 by the Meanwell / Dynamo combo anyway.

Question here is more : is there any 24V Pico style DC board that can fit under my GPUs ??

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Great proto, very well executed! :thumb:

My goal was to make this first prototype as cheap as possible.
I like how you did it simple with cube standoffs and side pannels.
I guess the latters were made from CNC, may I ask how much € you were asked for them?

Reactions: aquelito

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Thanks !

I had two different cases - this one and Neutrino - CNCed from a single 2 mm anodized aluminium plate for around 130€ excl. shipping.

Last edited:

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Slowly preparing all the pieces of the prototype v2.

I just modified the Bykski plexi bridge to add an inlet, allowing me to slim down the case to its current 142 mm height.
As I wrote earlier, I'm going to replace the Thermosphere universal blocks by Bykski full cover blocks.

New inlet on the left, offset so that the fitting does not block the GPU 8-Pin connector.
Existing outlet on top.

On a side note, appreciate the Tygon B-44-3 clouding after a few days of use.
Would like to move to Norprene but it's an other 60€...

Reactions: AleksandarK

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
I had two different cases - this one and Neutrino - the CNCed from a single 2 mm anodized aluminium plate for around 130€ excl. shipping.
Price sounds decent for 2 computers cases, cheap even!

I just modified the Bykski plexi bridge to add an inlet
Looks like you've got the tools to do this kind of work, but hey, the balls too! ;)
Must have been a stressing hole to drill without cracking anything! Everything went fine obviously, good job!

On a side note, appreciate the Tygon B-44-3 clouding after a few days of use.
Would like to move to Norprene but it's an other 60€...
Looking at your custom loop, with Norprene you will probably need more than one anti kink.

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
@Runamok81 : thanks a lot, much appreciated from the very person that put me in the SFF Game two years ago !

Looks like you've got the tools to do this kind of work, but hey, the balls too! ;)
Must have been a stressing hole to drill without cracking anything! Everything went fine obviously, good job!

Ahah yes it was a bit stressfull as I had just messed a reservoir modification few minutes earlier !
Speaking of which, I noticed that you used the same Alphacool mini res in your Ncase build.
Just in case, where did you buy it ? As it's an old reference, you might have it in your spare parts stock.

Looking at your custom loop, with Norprene you will probably need more than one anti kink.

Actually I've made the hose routing in Rhino using the very useful ArcBlend command.
It's a good way to make sure that each tube section is respecting the minimum tube bending radius ;)

Norprene would be fine as its bending radius is lower than B-44-3 but I have already spent too much ahah

Last edited:

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Heh, I'm interested in seeing how you modified the mini res.
New outlet hole at the bottom? I will check your Neutrino thread.

I bought mine in 2015 from the now closed Opium-PC shop, located in Paris if I remember well.
It was their last one and they didn't want to send it to Switzerland. Had to ask a brother's friend from France to get it for me.
Happy I did as there was the only option that small, and still is I guess...

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Yep, new hole at the bottom !
POM produces lots of residue and I did not see that I went too far with the stepped-drill...

My last chance is to tap it G3/8 instead of G1/4.

Back to Adibou, say hello to my little friend !
It doesn't look like from the angle of view, but it's 2L less than its chubbier brother.

I spent a couple hours cleaning, sanding and preparing the various panels and made a first successful fit test.

The only detail I've overseen is the clearance between the @Kmpkt Dynamo 360 8-Pin connectors and the vibration dumpers on the left.
I know I modified this detail just before sending the CAD file for cutting but it cannot remember why...

The only solution, apart from reproducing the panels, is to cut the 8-Pin connectors and make them low profile, like this one.

BTW, the whole system will be powered by a Meanwell RPS-400-24 driving :

- an HDPLEX 250W for the system,
- a Dynamo 360 for both GPUs, fans and pump.

@Kmpkt : the sync function works great. I'm connecting the 5V from the HDPLEX SATA connector (trimmed down to fit under the pump) to the sync header of the Dynamo 360.

@Thehack : I know it's not 12V but my motherboard did not like the combo G-Unique / Load switch / Meanwell EPP-400-12...

Last edited:

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Dynamo cables clearance issue solved by simply enlarging the central hole :

BTW, I used a single ring terminal to power both the Dynamo and Hdplex.
It may be safer to use several stacked ring terminals instead ?

I'm using this reference, no indications of the supported amperage :

https://www.mouser.fr/ProductDetail/571-184269-1

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Not sure on the ring terminal thing. So long as they are rated for above the required amperage I can't see there being an issue.

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
I'll ask the manufacturer as I cannot find the terminal rated current.