Power Supply AC/DC with 127W cubic inch power density

eth0lo

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 17, 2016
I was looking for meanwell PSU at mouser and stumble across this AC/DC converter it's 400w efficiency 92% with output 24V, 16.7 Amps and really small footprint; so I was wondering if this could be used with any pico PSU to power a GTX1070?

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Hypothetically I think it could probably be used, and I have looked at this unit myself. One thing worth mentioning is that it also requires at the very least a second mandatory module for full function and cannot (I believe) simply be fed a raw current and output what we need. You can see the whole unit here:

http://www.vicorpower.com/ac-dc/converters/isolated-ac-dc-converter-pfc

http://www.vicorpower.com/ac-input-front-end-module

That being said, the overall size of the unit combined is 0.52L which when compared with the 0.36L of the HDPlex 300W AC-DC doesn't look so attractive unless you really need the extra 100W.

eth0lo

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 17, 2016
I have different numbers all together, maybe I'm wrong but this is what I calculated

124mm x 35.5mm x 9.3mm = 40938.6 mm^3 = 40.9386 cm^3 = 0.0409386L (AC/DC)
44.6mm x 35.5mm x 9.3mm = 14724.69mm^3 = 14.72469 cm^3 = 0.01472469L (Frontend)

Total = 0.05566329L

Which is roughfully 6 times smaller

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Yeah 270 US is expensive for an experiment. Can anyone more knowledgable comment on how suitable this would be for SFF and how setup would look?

The setup pretty much looks perfect for ITX though. 169mm long 35mm wide and 10mm wide, could just line it up right at the edge of the motherboard and the whole unit would be about as long together as a Zotac 1080 is long.

Reactions: cmyk78

Sicaris

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 6, 2016
I'm not an expert but looking at the data sheet it says max ripple is 1000 mV which would be way too high. Can someone check to see if I'm reading it wrong?

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Well, typical is 100mV but it sure does look to me like it says 1000mV for the max ripple.

Since this would be feeding into a DC-ATX unit it's okay if it's not within ATX spec, but I don't think any of the DC-ATX units are designed to handle 1V of ripple.

Reactions: ricochet

eth0lo

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 17, 2016
@ilovelampshade the setup in my head looks like this, asuming a case like s4 mini or mc600, the main power behind the video card monted vertically, then the frontend in left hand side mounted vertically the power plug either on the side of the video card io or on top like 'Orangulan Brickless S4' project.

So in other words, in theory looks ok but with the issue for the ripple?

Regarding being expensive to try out, I have no issue in trying, that's why I started the thread in the first place, but I need guidance on how to proceed.

From previous comments, what I see is:
- It could work but we need some kind of rectifier for the ripple

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
One thin to consider with the Vicors is they require active cooling, and do not include any thermal solution. You need to specify, develop and install your own thermal solution to keep the PSU within its temperature tolerances.

Reactions: Phuncz and ricochet

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Yeah, the Vicor PFM series looks really impressive at first, but the more I look at it, the more I realize they've achieved those space savings by basically offloading everything other than the pure AC to DC conversion.

Which is great for system designers to build a power system that's tailored to their exact needs, but for consumer SFF builds it seems like more trouble that it's worth.

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I think if you make a case that doubles as a heatsink like say the HDPlex HTPC case, then this could be an attractive option. If you look at their development kit video the piece of aluminum the unit is heat sinking to has a very obvious warning that reads something along the lines of "Warning: Extremely Hot"

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Plus the DK has a huge slab of aluminum as the heatsink. I'm not sure if they're just being overly cautious or if it really needs that much cooling though.