Advice A tiny gap in the market (dual radiator showpiece cases)

thoughtfix

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jun 18, 2019
I'm chasing my fourth small form factor custom liquid project and I noticed that there doesn't seem to be an exact case for what I want. Maybe you can correct me or maybe some custom builders can consider this as their next goal. There seem to be a few started projects either in prototype or funding, but not on the market right now. What I'm seeking would have:
  • Standard or sandwich style ITX
  • <18 L volume (Cerberus or smaller)
  • Support for 2x 240 (maybe 2x280mm) radiators (this is the hard part to find)
  • Showpiece aesthetics: Glass (but not fans-behind-glass) panel, good finish, good fit, and good cable routing.
I love Sliger cases (I've built two SM570 and one SV590 system) and my first SM570 had two 120mm radiators, but the bottom one was running with no fan relying on the pull of air in the top to pull heat. Results were okay, but not ideal: this hardware was in both that SM570 and my SV590 with a 1080 Ti FTW3 (this build) until I got the new GPU. I don't know if a single slim 360mm radiator can handle an OCd 9700k and an OCd 3090, plus I kinda want to show off my parts again. Their construction is top notch, but their window options are acrylic only which is prone to scratches and cat hair. That said, if the bottom of an SV580 took a second radiator, I'd be so tempted.

The Streacom DA2 has been assembled with multiple radiators, but of course they block the views of hardware.

The Winter One is an impressive design, but doesn't exist to purchase yet and doesn't have a clear panel option.

The Raijintek Ophion Evo is a good display piece, but only supports a single radiator.

I love that "top hat" cases can get stacked to support more cooling, but the seams for the "hats" take away from the showpiece look.

The Zalman Z-Machine 300 doesn't seem to exist for sale in the US and it's .. well .. I am sure SOME people would love the design.

Am I missing an obvious one here or are my desires too niche (in an already niche market) to fill? Do I just have to buy larger?

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
I think the only option you haven't mentioned is the Dual Cool MKIII - Corsair One style with dual rads, just under 18L though doesn't come with tempered glass side panel as stock. The case being from Taobao, however, you might be able to customise the order and request a tempered glass panel from the shop/maker directly.

EDIT: the Winter One kickstarter is opening in less than 12 hours Countdown here

Last edited:
Reactions: thoughtfix

thoughtfix

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jun 18, 2019
Hmm... that looks clever, but I'd like to actually be able to read the order page. I hope they get a US (or at least English) distributor.

thoughtfix

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jun 18, 2019
I just found the Singularity Wraith. Wow. Um. OK let me start praying to my credit card for permission...

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
I just found the Singularity Wraith. Wow. Um. OK let me start praying to my credit card for permission...
that thing looks ugly IMO and it's almost 30L in volume. at that point you should just wait for the Lian-li O11D Mini - 3 rads, side & front glass for all the RGB and showy you can ever want

mxj1

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020
I've struggled with your same sentiments.

I'm building a liquid cooled 2x240 rad in a Nouvolo Steck for my wife currently, but was lucky enough to get in on the dream deal for the Winter One... and fingers crossed - there's no been a mention of possibly glass option. The Steck is a nice piece of hardware, but I think it's overpriced, and lacks the quality that I'm accustomed to with Lian Li, Jonsbo, etc... aluminum cases. YMMV

I've currently got a 3x360 O11 XL build, and while the case is very impressive and can hold a lot of cooling equipment, the sandwich layout has really caught my eye lately.

thoughtfix

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jun 18, 2019
It does seem promising, but without room for a pump and it's a kickstarter... I am done with crowdfunded preorders after four consecutive disappointments.

thoughtfix

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jun 18, 2019
I just spent another 20 minutes re-watching the kickstarter and assembly videos for the Winter One and honestly do not know where I'd possibly mount a pump and any fill/drain spots in it. The photo on the kickstarter just showed a pump hanging out of the side. It can't take a wall-mounted reservoir like I did with my SM570 (linked above) because drilling through the front would show the screws. I thought maybe I could go with something like I did in my SV590 case and use a Glacier R160 pump/res but on a with space for the pump provided by a short RTX 30-series card:

But even that doesn't have any place for it to screw down. The only two options I see left are using an Eisbaer Solo LT and no reservoir. The listed 70mm clearance excludes the Eisbaer Solo with fittings) which probably won't happily run two blocks and two rads. The Apogee Drive II with angled fittings might BARELY fit if angled fittings are used. The Barrowtech 3-in-1 is just too tall.

There is still the option to run a 140mm in the bottom and a 280mm in the top. I am not confident that can handle an OC'd 9700k and OC'd 3090, but it might. It's quite a bit more surface area (both in the fans and in the radiators) than the singe 360 I was rocking in the SV590. It wouldn't be beautiful, but it might work.

I backed it with $10 just for the updates, but I want to build before December so I don't know if I'll preorder on KS. Oh how I wish I was involved in that beta program! I'd have shipped him my own Glacier 160 and said "This is perfect - make it fit!"

Reactions: WinterCharm

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Jan 19, 2019
I just spent another 20 minutes re-watching the kickstarter and assembly videos for the Winter One and honestly do not know where I'd possibly mount a pump and any fill/drain spots in it. The photo on the kickstarter just showed a pump hanging out of the side. It can't take a wall-mounted reservoir like I did with my SM570 (linked above) because drilling through the front would show the screws. I thought maybe I could go with something like I did in my SV590 case and use a Glacier R160 pump/res but on a with space for the pump provided by a short RTX 30-series card:

But even that doesn't have any place for it to screw down. The only two options I see left are using an Eisbaer Solo LT and no reservoir. The listed 70mm clearance excludes the Eisbaer Solo with fittings) which probably won't happily run two blocks and two rads. The Apogee Drive II with angled fittings might BARELY fit if angled fittings are used. The Barrowtech 3-in-1 is just too tall.

There is still the option to run a 140mm in the bottom and a 280mm in the top. I am not confident that can handle an OC'd 9700k and OC'd 3090, but it might. It's quite a bit more surface area (both in the fans and in the radiators) than the singe 360 I was rocking in the SV590. It wouldn't be beautiful, but it might work.

I backed it with $10 just for the updates, but I want to build before December so I don't know if I'll preorder on KS. Oh how I wish I was involved in that beta program! I'd have shipped him my own Glacier 160 and said "This is perfect - make it fit!"

There's going to be an update on Monday or Tuesday, that shows the pump bracket design, and how it will allow you to accommodate a similar type of pump-res to the one you've shown above.

Remember, the pump / res space in Winter One is really dependent on the GPU length and thickness. Because the case accommodates 3-slot GPUs and most water blocks are 1-slot, there's a lot of leftover room for a res to the side of the GPU, near the panel, feeding a pump below it.

The pump bracket I've designed lets you attach something to the front panel in multiple orientations -- screw holes facing up, facing out from the front panel, and facing sideways, parallel to the side panel). The front panel also has 4 tapped / threaded screw holes -- so yes -- even the mounting shown in the trailer video will work. and you can even 3D print something custom to take advantage of those holes... I'll be showing the final version of the pump bracket, as well as a detailed diagram of the actual volume.

If you want to use a RES that feeds a DDC or D5 pump, a rectangular res/pump top type enclosure like the one in your picture, has room to exist between the GPU block and side panel.

Based on the Dimensions Listed Here the Phanteks Glacier R160 will Fit in Winter One -- however, the ability to sideways-mount a DDC pump directly to the reservoir will depend entirely on how short your GPU is. But, Using it as a standalone RES to provide pressure head to a DDC pump would work perfectly, with dual 280mm radiators. If you step down to 140+280, you could use the Glacier R160 with the integrated pump mount.

A couple of additional things:

1. I'll be quoting your message and reply, and putting them in the Winter One discussion in the main thread? I think this discussion would actually be very beneficial for others to hear about.
2. Could we keep subsequent discussion about Winter One in that thread? It's already starting to get fragmented between the two reddit threads, and SFF.net thread.

Last edited:

thoughtfix

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jun 18, 2019
For now, I went with a budget-ish non-SFF 27L Metallicgear Neo G Mini V2 to hold the components until a better quality showpiece case with dual radiator support and room for that GPU + Pump + Reservoir exists.

The V2 adds a lot more space in the front intake areas, so I put a pair of slim Silverstone fans in front of a XSPC TX240 Ultrathin radiator which gave me JUST enough space to fit a second (Black Ice Nemesis 240GTS) radiator with normal fans. It's not IDEAL, but temps are under control and noise is low enough so that I don't notice it. This is a VR PC so it can get a little noisy without bothering me.

The fluid is not a solid: it just LOOKS solid under UV light.

I had help building this: