Stalled ~7L console-style case concept (and possible future NCASE product)

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
If one of those zotac 1080s is used, whats the space between the side exhaust and the gpu? and how tall/wide is the side exhaust?
I was thinking of using some mini fans to help the airflow.
In the internal pic in this post you can see how it's possible to have two 80mm fans right above the card. The Zotac 1080 and 1080 Ti are taller than reference though (125 vs 111mm), which only allows for 15mm thick fans on top, rather than full 25mm thick fans.

Reactions: grumpyrobin

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
In the internal pic in this post you can see how it's possible to have two 80mm fans right above the card. The Zotac 1080 and 1080 Ti are taller than reference though (125 vs 111mm), which only allows for 15mm thick fans on top, rather than full 25mm thick fans.
ok, you've got me sold, when can I pledge? ;p

All these weird VR ready premade mini pcs with no upgradeability, and here you come with the holy grail.

Reactions: SeñorDonut

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Heh... well, that may be a bit too generous. It's a different take on a small, console-ish PC case, that offers a different balance of features. The DAN A4 and Zaber Sentry are still technically smaller (volume-wise, at least). What this offers is a smaller footprint, (potentially) better CPU cooling, plus features like an integrated dust filter and a GPU window. That comes at the cost of long GPU support and PSU choice (flex ATX is well behind SFX in that respect).

Also w360 isn't exactly on board with this concept. If enough people express interest in it, though, I think he could be okay with it.

Reactions: grumpyrobin

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
@Necere, just looked at this thread for the first time in ages and was really impressed to see how the design has developed and taken on a real NCase look to it.
I wasn't really interested*, as I thought there were plenty of other flat/console style cases on the go; but you've sprinkled NCase magic over it and it's made it stand out from the crowd.
*I am still sad about the shelving of the Sidearm Project...but that's another story

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
Heh... well, that may be a bit too generous. It's a different take on a small, console-ish PC case, that offers a different balance of features. The DAN A4 and Zaber Sentry are still technically smaller (volume-wise, at least). What this offers is a smaller footprint, (potentially) better CPU cooling, plus features like an integrated dust filter and a GPU window. That comes at the cost of long GPU support and PSU choice (flex ATX is well behind SFX in that respect).

Also w360 isn't exactly on board with this concept. If enough people express interest in it, though, I think he could be okay with it.
Well for what it's worth the long gpu sacrifice made this case extremely backpack friendly. The dan style cases are a bit thick even though they can still fit. And it leaves enough space for a 15.6 inch portable monitor.

My only two concerns are:
If the glass panel can deteriorate the ncase look. Think of the Mercedes a class. The hatchback design was not well received initially but it grew on people and ended up selling well

My gut feeling suspects there is a correlation between parts compatibility, and long term longevity.

The m1 by today's standard is not the most compact, however it is still extremely attractive because when you don't want to sacrifice X or Y fby going with smaller offerings, you can just go with the M1 and only the M1.
The problem with this case is that we don't know if Volta or vega will have sub 21 cm offerings for their top of the line. Or similarly further down the line. Provided you discuss with zotac and make it compelling for them to keep that size for future releases since your case is made for them, it should be interestingl.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
@Necere, just looked at this thread for the first time in ages and was really impressed to see how the design has developed and taken on a real NCase look to it.
I wasn't really interested*, as I thought there were plenty of other flat/console style cases on the go; but you've sprinkled NCase magic over it and it's made it stand out from the crowd.
*I am still sad about the shelving of the Sidearm Project...but that's another story
Thanks, I appreciate that. Yeah, I do wonder now if I should've spun this off into its own thread. I know a lot of people will check out a new project when it first pops up, find nothing to interest them, and never click on the thread again.

Then again, this new concept came about because I had a "what if" idea and tossed it out there to see where it would go, and I think I've started enough threads now for random ideas I've had :p Ironically, rotating the PSU from the original concept was something we'd discussed before, but both dismissed due to the "fattening" it entails (which w360 still hates). Nevertheless, after seeing the Zotac mini 1080 cards, and the increased number of flex PSUs at Computex, I took a stab at it just to see what the result would be. And it turns out it's not that bad after all (well, IMO. W360 doesn't agree :p ).

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
A door probably isn't in the cards, just due to the added complexity and space it would take up.

Space might not be much of an issue, but yeah, a good design would be quite complex to make, especially if it has to sit flush with the front panel when closed. And it would have to feel solid and smooth as well. Quite a challenge.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
I like how the rectangular IO cutout perfectly compliments the rectangle GPU window.

Maybe the GPU window could support being replaced with a vented panel insert?

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Some comparison renders between my new concept and the version of the PCX @wahaha360 prefers:

This is the model he's been working on, and includes his addition of a window and VESA mounts. Also the open area of the intake vents at the hole spacing he's using is down to 19.6%, which is obviously not a good choice.

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
I prefer your chubby one.
Far more backpack friendly.
Far more cooling potential (the extra few mm for cpu cooler clearance and the exhaust fans makes all the difference)
If you made a VR harness attachment the chubby one would be the way to go.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
The width is mostly dictated by the PSU orientation, though it does come with the benefit of the 65mm CPU cooler height limit.

Ah good point, CPU cooler height is indeed quite the benefit.

Some comparison renders between my new concept and the version of the PCX @wahaha360 prefers:

This is the model he's been working on, and includes his addition of a window and VESA mounts. Also the open area of the intake vents at the hole spacing he's using is down to 19.6%, which is obviously not a good choice.

In horizontal orientation the smaller one looks quite a bit sleeker. Would fit a HiFi rack very well. Mr. Chubby looks even thicker than it is in comparison because it's missing the black strip, which would break its perceived height down a bit. Very desktop computer-y look. Slim PCX shines in this orientation, you could easily replace an Xbox One with a black version of this without anyone noticing.

In vertical, Mr. Chubby looks waaaaay better, but I think the slim PCX doesn't need a window at all, that would look better with just a blank side. Especially putting it over the rear of the mainboard looks silly. Maybe the VESA mount could be a little off-center to allow the window to fully cover the GPU, if people really want the window?

So, who would've guessed, each case looks better (to me) in the orientation it was designed for. What a shocker!

Reactions: SeñorDonut

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
And another thing.
PCX is generic while Chubby rev3 is unique sexy and classy.

Sorry, I know this is the definition of subjective but I really like Chubby more.

Official name should be NCASE ChB1

Reactions: neocmetal

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
I prefer your chubby one.
Far more backpack friendly.
Far more cooling potential (the extra few mm for cpu cooler clearance and the exhaust fans makes all the difference)
If you made a VR harness attachment the chubby one would be the way to go.
The relative transportability isn't something I've touched on much, but I agree the reduced depth of the rev3 vs. the PCX does lend itself better to not only carrying in a backpack, but in carry-on luggage as well. I've seen some people put the M1 in a carry-on Pelican case, and the height (250mm w/feet) is right at the limit of what will fit. That's where the rev3 is right now, but the PCX at an extra 20-30mm or so depth wouldn't be able to fit.

In vertical, Mr. Chubby looks waaaaay better, but I think the slim PCX doesn't need a window at all, that would look better with just a blank side. Especially putting it over the rear of the mainboard looks silly. Maybe the VESA mount could be a little off-center to allow the window to fully cover the GPU, if people really want the window?
IMO the internal layout of the PCX designs don't lend themselves to a window at all, and I've been pretty vocal about it. Nevertheless, w360 has persisted in trying to integrate one, in what to me feels like a "check the box" feature add. In my view it's a shoehorned feature, an afterthought, and a bastardization of my design concept. Well - "creative differences," I guess. Maybe he needs to hear it from others to be convinced it's a bad idea.

The rev3 concept, in contrast, is designed from the ground up for an aesthetically integrated window. In many ways, despite the similarity in layout and supported hardware, these are two different concepts, targeting somewhat different markets. The PCX is the more living room friendly, more casual gaming/media consumption case, while the rev3 is the more hardcore gamer/show off/power user case.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
IMO the internal layout of the PCX designs don't lend themselves to a window at all, and I've been pretty vocal about it. Nevertheless, w360 has persisted in trying to integrate one, in what to me feels like a "check the box" feature add. In my view it's a shoehorned feature, an afterthought, and a bastardization of my design concept. Well - "creative differences," I guess. Maybe he needs to hear it from others to be convinced it's a bad idea.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that they don't lend themselves to it at all, but I do agree that the way it's implemented now, it looks bad. However, I do see where you're coming from. The inability to make the window span farther towards the front throws of the visual balance quite a bit, so it seems like just keeping the panel plain is a better option, especially considering the aesthetic standard you guys have set yourself to so far.

The rev3 concept, in contrast, is designed from the ground up for an aesthetically integrated window. In many ways, despite the similarity in layout and supported hardware, these are two different concepts, targeting somewhat different markets. The PCX is the more living room friendly, more casual gaming/media consumption case, while the rev3 is the more hardcore gamer/show off/power user case.

Jup, that is quite obvious. Considering that, it is a bit of an apples to oranges comparison. But, this is also something to take into consideration when deciding which product to bring to market (first). I'd say both are quite viable, but Rev3 in comparison to PCX captures more of your existing following. It is a beautiful showcase that fits in quite will next to the M1 in terms of aesthetics. To me it seems more logical to slowly expand your reach, keeping a consistent design language, and then look into more foreign concepts. The Rev3 does that quite nicely in my eyes.