Stalled ~7L console-style case concept (and possible future NCASE product)

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Some comparison renders between my new concept and the version of the PCX @wahaha360 prefers:

This is the model he's been working on, and includes his addition of a window and VESA mounts. Also the open area of the intake vents at the hole spacing he's using is down to 19.6%, which is obviously not a good choice.

This version is a draft, so don't get into the weeds about # of holes, that stuff comes *after finalizing the main chassis/component brackets and style.

I don't want and never wanted to support ODD in general. The % of people using ODD is low, I know some may want this feature, but I wonder how many ppl end up installing one.

The window kit is optional, so the whole ODD cable connector through the window is blown out of proportion - it only affects the super minority who 1) installs ODD and 2) upgrade to the window kit.

...I think the slim PCX doesn't need a window at all, that would look better with just a blank side. Especially putting it over the rear of the mainboard looks silly. Maybe the VESA mount could be a little off-center to allow the window to fully cover the GPU, if people really want the window?

IMO the internal layout of the PCX designs don't lend themselves to a window at all, and I've been pretty vocal about it. Nevertheless, w360 has persisted in trying to integrate one, in what to me feels like a "check the box" feature add. In my view it's a shoehorned feature, an afterthought, and a bastardization of my design concept. Well - "creative differences," I guess. Maybe he needs to hear it from others to be convinced it's a bad idea.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that they don't lend themselves to it at all, but I do agree that the way it's implemented now, it looks bad. However, I do see where you're coming from. The inability to make the window span farther towards the front throws of the visual balance quite a bit, so it seems like just keeping the panel plain is a better option, especially considering the aesthetic standard you guys have set yourself to so far.

The window over the motherboard is to show M.2 drives, specifically the new ASROCK X299 ITX motherboard, where you can fit 2.

I understand it's not for everyone, hence why the widow is optional, I have *never had a case with a window and I don't intend to force it on people.

Another reason for the window, I get so many emails about window for the M1 (even though it's going to increase case temp, unless you perforate the window), making a window = get less email about it.

The word "bastard" just reminds me of Game of Thrones

Last edited:

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
The window over the motherboard is to show M.2 drives, specifically the new ASROCK X299 ITX motherboard, where you can fit 2.

I understand it's not for everyone, hence why the widow is optional, I have *never had a case with a window and I don't intend to force it on people.

Another reason for the window, I get so many emails about window for the M1 (even though it's going to increase case temp, unless you perforate the window), making a window = get less email about it.

The thing with the M1 is that people have done window mods and they look awesome, so of course people want to buy windowed panels.

The window on the PCX just looks weird to me, so I'm not sure it's worth the effort to make it an option anyway. Nevertheless, if you plan to make it an option anyway, I'd argue that the window panel should not include the VESA mounts, just to give more freedom with shaping the window itself. The VESA mounts can be on the plain one.

But, I'm glad that it isn't mandatory. Not sure about the M.2 drive show-off thing, but you can only know the preference of people on that through a poll.

I don't want and never wanted to support ODD in general. The % of people using ODD is low, I know some may want this feature, but I wonder how many ppl end up installing one.

Hm, especially with the PCX fitting into a HiFi-Rack so well, I'd argue the percentage of people who want to have an ODD is higher than it would be on regular PCs. Again, something you'd have to make a poll about to be sure. Maybe there's already information available on this?

Reactions: Kwirek

br3nd0

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 29, 2016
Hm, especially with the PCX fitting into a HiFi-Rack so well, I'd argue the percentage of people who want to have an ODD is higher than it would be on regular PCs. Again, something you'd have to make a poll about to be sure. Maybe there's already information available on this?

I guess the ODD option would also fill the void left by @amitoza on his C1 case, following his shameful AWOL/exit from SFF. Don't ask me why but I'm one of the hangers-on.

Last edited:

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
What's an ODD?
can you eat it?

Jokes aside, I did have to google it, Optical Disk Drive.
How times change, and how things seamlessly disappear from my memory .

Reactions: br3nd0

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I'd argue that the window panel should not include the VESA mounts, just to give more freedom with shaping the window itself. The VESA mounts can be on the plain one.

That may be doable, but it'll require some rethinking of the mounts since they're PEMSERT studs sticking out from the frame.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I mean with the current design the cutouts have to be there in the panel to clear the studs.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
I guess the ODD option would also fill the void left by @amitoza on his C1 case, following his shameful AWOL/exit from SFF. Don't ask me why but I'm one of the hangers-on.

There is material chance that I will be collaborating with NFC on manufacturing and logistics.

No need to fill the void when NFC can do so with minimum grease.

Last edited:

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I hope not, I could at least tolerate ODD support like the M1 where it's just a slot. But now that slot-load drives are becoming an obsolete breed ODD support is really ugly.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
I hope not, I could at least tolerate ODD support like the M1 where it's just a slot. But now that slot-load drives are becoming an obsolete breed ODD support is really ugly.
That was one of the drivers of my design for the PCX. Putting the ODD in a dark strip with the rest of the I/O that contrasts with the top panel should help to reduce the visual incongruity it presents.

Reactions: Phuncz and Arboreal

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
What, they are? That's a shame :(

From 2009 and until 2011 the only time I needed it was when I was reinstalling windows.
The only other time I used it was a couple of years back when I had the only cd reader in the family and I had to upload a CAT scan to our shared cloud drive ( because the because the Clinic only provided CD copies ><).

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
Oh, you ment the slot-load because of the space savings.

Well, I am completely ok with slot load space if it is as uncomprimising and flexible as it is on the M1.

Any cases that still have openings for tray-load drives should be recycled immediately.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Slot load drives were only ever common on high-end laptops, and in the quest for thinness those laptops just don't come with optical drives at all now.

Production Blu-ray slot load already looks to be stopped with only way overpriced options available, regular DVD is better but there's still not that many options.