Concept 7.5L High airflow (90mm heatsink) Console-style Concept

Gautam

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
Around a year and a half ago, I hand-built a case with a design quite unlike anything I've seen since. You can read about it here. The basic idea was to build a system good enough for VR demos and development that fits in a backpack, and also doesn't make any noise. I made a lot of mistakes, and am now attempting to correct them and improve upon it while having it manufactured properly. u/ReinPure from reddit graciously made me a CAD model and I've been tweaking it.

In short, I'm seeking cooling on a similar level to the NCASE, with similar size to the DAN A4. A Noctua NH-L12 is pictured, but the target cooler is a Cryorig C1/Rajintek Pallas/Thermalright AXP200 with a 25mm fan on top. The volume is around 7.5L (340mm * 108mm * 205mm) as it stands, but it'll probably go up or down.

I'm uninterested in full-length cards and would rather put the volume savings found from an ITX video card towards better cooling and SSD's.

The sight of flex-ATX will probably make everyone cringe, but it's inaudible in my setup since I removed the 40mm fan altogether. An SFX PSU could fit below the video card, but then I'd either have to fatten up the case, or lose the 25mm fan on top of the GPU. It's at 110mm in thickness as of now, which I'd actually like to reduce. Any wider and it'd be impractical to fit in a backpack. The fan on top of the GPU has some leeway. It could be a slim fan instead, or removed altogether.

I don't know how to handle fan vents yet. Traditional grills are hideous but tend to perform dramatically better than anything else. I'm currently using honeycomb grills, and they increase CPU fan RPM by around 100 to hold the same temperature as no grill. It also seems like cutting a pattern increases cost dramatically.

All feedback is appreciated.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Have you considered using a Micro STX rig? It's what I'm using for my wearable.

Gautam

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
Have you considered using a Micro STX rig? It's what I'm using for my wearable.
Sorry, I think I mislead with the word "backpack." I'm seeking more power than the usual ITX rig, not less. This design leaves the possibility of high core count, high TDP CPUs like the 7920X etc.