Prototype Sputnik - a 7.5L HTPC

Shatrod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
Hi Everyone.

I have been away for a bit but figured its time i come back and share what has been occupying my free time as of late. I have been designing a simple 7.5L HTPC case with a focus on storage. My design goals were simple: don't use any risers or extensions, design around standard sff parts (sfx psu mostly), support a few drives, have some front IO, and look good in a living room :)

I feel like I mostly have what I set out to make. The sheet metal design is almost done, just needs to be triple checked and I will start looking at manufacturers near me to prototype with.
I already designed and prototyped the front IO PCB. The case sports two usb3.0 ports running full usb 3.0 speeds, and a cherry switch for power button.
For storage you can fit four 2.5" drives. Max GPU length is 204mm with 2.25 ish slot thickness. Although an SFX-L psu will fit, the vents are only designed to accommodate an SFX.
The cpu cooler is limited to 65mm tall, but really that will choke the fan. Practically I can only see this working with around 45mm tall coolers.
To help with cooling a 120mm fan can be mounted in the front.

Without further delay, some renders and pictures. Let me know what you think!
Update march 2024: first prototype is made!

Last edited:

Shatrod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
Small update. I have been talking to a few manufacturers and am zeroing in on a local one that is reasonably priced. I do have to update the design for manufacturing. Mainly, the front vents need to change from the concentric wedges to the same slots as the top. I also extended the same methodology for the back. All in all, i am happy with the updated look, i don't think it detracts from the theme at all.

Shatrod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
Hi all.

It's been a few months but I'm excited to share a big little update. I got the first prototypes made!

Still need to powder coat, assemble, make the wood front, get screws and other trimmings but we're getting there! Hopefully fitment test and first build soon.

Shatrod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
Big update, the first prototype is fully made.
I CNCed the wood front, sourced all the screws (they are very flush). The whole case came together perfectly. I will also be editing the first post to reflect that this not just a render anymore :) First build coming soon to test hardware fitment. Here are some pics:

As well as some in progress photos of making the wooden front:

Reactions: rfarmer

ASAP

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Mar 10, 2024
This is an intriguing layout. How well does the GPU cooling work with the card upside down? Is there room for a radiator and fan on the front to be used in conjunction with a pump/res waterblock combo?

Great job, it looks awesome!

Shatrod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
This is an intriguing layout. How well does the GPU cooling work with the card upside down? Is there room for a radiator and fan on the front to be used in conjunction with a pump/res waterblock combo?

Great job, it looks awesome!
Thanks!

I haven't done extensive testing just yet, but if my understating is right the GPU cooling should work fine in this orientation. As far as vapor chamber/heat pipes are concerned it's the same as the usual way. And convection really shouldn't play that much of a role if you have fans going. The vents wrap around the sides specifically to let GPUs exhaust out the sides if your fin stack points sideways.

There is definitely no room for a radiator. Motherboard to front panel clearance is 30mm. Works out to be just enough for a standard fan and the 24pin cable clip.

I think the length width and height ratios make the case appear bigger than it really is.