6.8L MiniCube

BaK

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Hi guys,

As an SFF builder I am glad to post here, thx Mr FlexATX aka iFreilicht for the invitation and for having helped me out with this build and especially with the choice of the PSU! ;)

My goal is to have a fast and silent rig, with a decent iGPU to work with 3D stuff (i.e. Sketchup) but not especially for gaming.

The components:
- Black Jonsbo case V2 (200 x 200 x 170mm)
- 250W FSP FlexATX PSU 80PLUS Bronze
- Asus Z97I-Plus ITX motherboard
- Intel i5-5675C CPU (3.1-3.6GHz)
- BeQuiet Dark Rock TF CPU cooler
- 2x 8GB Crucial Tactical LP replaced by Crucial Ballistix Sport VLP (heatpipes conflict)
- 128GB Adata Premier Pro SP900 SATA M.2 2280 (read: 550MB/s - write: 530MB/s)
- 480GB PNY Optima 480GB SATA SSD (read: 400MB/s - write: 400MB/s) replaced by KingFast mSata (no room left for a regular SSD)

(My apologies for the pics, good light needed)

Mobo and Cooler inside the already crowded case:

Opened PSU with the small and audible fan:

PSU fan replacement on the bottom left:

Fan duct and PSU cables rerouted where the factory fan was:

First try, it works!

Temp probe and fan control to be sure the new fan is cooling the PSU properly:

Ready for overclocking:

I got 4.3GHz@1.415V 1h OCCT / 3DMark11 / Cinebench passed
T°CPU max: 80°C (ambient 21°C)

The itch was too big, I had to delid this chip!
Vice only method result:

CLP on the dies and thermal pads on the VRMs:

This let me gain 0.1GHz while staying 10°C lower than before delid -> 4.4GHz@1.465V 1h OCCT
T°CPU max: 69°C (ambient 21°C)

Then I realized there was no way to put an 2.5" SSD in there, only room for half of it, so I made one that size!
mSata 500GB (on top of a regular SSD):

Then I cut a casing from an old SSD in two, add an mSATA to SATA adapter in it, and here we go:

Then I had to make back plate for the power cord, so I took the plate from a n old SFX PSU:

Painted it in black added a cover to prevent any contact with the 220V cables/solderings and finally a right angled powercord:

Fan duct final version, plasti dipped:

And then the most demanding task as I had never done that before, sleeving the cables!
I wanted a nice curve:

Heatshrinkless:

As the bottom of the case has holes for attaching drives on it, I took the opportunity to add grommets to both the PSU and the mini SSD:

And the results with the PSU painted in black:

Inside of the case right before adding the other components:

And with everything in:

With the top side on:

Next to his old bro SG05:

Final pics:

This one especially for iFreilicht: :D

Most tight fit build I ever did, I am very happy of the result!

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I'm stumped, what an amazing build ! Excellent work all around !
I like how 80% of the space inside is the heatsink and fans, whereas most people's ATX builds are 80% air.

FCase

SFF Lingo Aficionado
FCase
Dec 20, 2015
My goal is to have a fast and silent rig, with a decent iGPU to work with 3D stuff (i.e. Sketchup) but not especially for gaming.

The components:
- 480GB PNY Optima 480GB SATA SSD (read: 400MB/s - write: 400MB/s) replaced by KingFast mSata (no room left for a regular SSD)

Then I realized there was no way to put an 2.5" SSD in there, only room for half of it, so I made one that size!
mSata 500GB (on top of a regular SSD):

Then I cut a casing from an old SSD in two, add an mSATA to SATA adapter in it, and here we go:

And the results with the PSU painted in black:

Most tight fit build I ever did, I am very happy of the result!

This is an awesome idea. Take this rig and design an mini-SSD case based on this design and I would buy one quick.

Welcome :thumb:

Mal

Reactions: Soul_Est

BaK

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
I'm stumped, what an amazing build ! Excellent work all around !
I like how 80% of the space inside is the heatsink and fans, whereas most people's ATX builds are 80% air.
Thx a lot, glad you like it!
Same here! I started to like it with my previous build, where my Z77 itx mobo was almost completely hidden under the NH-C14, but there was room left in the SG05. So I did it again with the Dark Rock and a smaller case!

+1 cable-lacing jig!
Thx!

This is an awesome idea. Take this rig and design an mini-SSD case based on this design and I would buy one quick.

Welcome :thumb:

Mal
Yep, I was happy to solve this problem like that. Would be cool to find a casing of that size ready to put an mSATA inside it, but couldn't find any.

Reactions: Soul_Est

yoyo55

Trash Compacter
Aug 15, 2015
Absolutely Incredible! Wow, what a super clean build. One thing that blew my mind was that half size SSD, today you win the internet my friend lol

Minefoxi

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 8, 2015
www.youtube.com
You definitely took the "If there's air left in it then it's too big"-rule serious! Great work and very inventive solutions, the short SSD is my favourite ;)

BaK

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Thanx a lot for the nice comments! :D

I am still fine tuning the case and I am facing a little problem with the PSU 60mm fan. Actually the issue comes from the Asus BIOS/UEFI which doesn't let me set the fan speed lower than 50%.
Do you guys know if there is a way to fix this?

Reactions: Mtthwmths

BaK

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Yep that's an option, I must have some Low-noise adapter from Noctua lying around. But that means the fan will not be able to run full speed if needed, that's why I would have preferred to tweak the BIOS somehow... but I guess that is not possible.
I will maybe try to ask Asus directly.

MrTiny

Caliper Novice
May 4, 2016
Well thought out, beautifully executed build. Liking how you kept the sleeve colors the same as stock identification colors.

BaK

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Heh yeah, for my first sleeving job I've preferred to keep the same colours. With the original 24pin connector and cables on my desk as a template it was the best way to not go wrong. :)

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 9, 2016
Just saying, 1.465V is generally regarded as unsafe for 14nm.. I keep hearing that 1.4V is the max safe voltage for 24/7 use. Nice delid on the 5675c though :p Breadwell chips are my favourite :p