6.8L MiniCube

BaK

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
I am in awe of the work you have done on this build, @BaK ; and the amazing result.
Thx man!
That was indeed lots of work, especially as I was new to sleeving, crimping, etc, but I learnt a lot!

Just saying, 1.465V is generally regarded as unsafe for 14nm.. I keep hearing that 1.4V is the max safe voltage for 24/7 use. Nice delid on the 5675c though :p Breadwell chips are my favourite :p
Thx, very happy with my Broadwell!
Well my rig is not on very often, something like a couple hours a day.
Anyway I had to put the voltage down as I had a case of CPU whining*. A faint but disturbing noise was produced when I was scrolling pages, moving the mouse or downloading stuff. Tried to play with the power options, and stuff like C-States without luck. So I RMA'd my board, and the new (refurbished) I got in exchange was slightly better but there was still this noise. The less voltage the less noise, so I am back to 4GHz @1.34V and I almost don't hear it anymore.

* Asus support explanation:
This problem is not directly related to the processor.
Because the noise itself is usually caused by unclean or
incorrectly dimensioned ferrite belonging to the circuit of the voltage
conversion for the CPU on the motherboard.
Even tiny ceramic capacitors (MLCCs), who are responsible for the
smoothing of the CPU core voltage can be deformed and stimulate the entire
motherboard to vibrate.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 9, 2016
Thx man!
That was indeed lots of work, especially as I was new to sleeving, crimping, etc, but I learnt a lot!

Thx, very happy with my Broadwell!
Well my rig is not on very often, something like a couple hours a day.
Anyway I had to put the voltage down as I had a case of CPU whining*. A faint but disturbing noise was produced when I was scrolling pages, moving the mouse or downloading stuff. Tried to play with the power options, and stuff like C-States without luck. So I RMA'd my board, and the new (refurbished) I got in exchange was slightly better but there was still this noise. The less voltage the less noise, so I am back to 4GHz @1.34V and I almost don't hear it anymore.

* Asus support explanation:
This problem is not directly related to the processor.
Because the noise itself is usually caused by unclean or
incorrectly dimensioned ferrite belonging to the circuit of the voltage
conversion for the CPU on the motherboard.
Even tiny ceramic capacitors (MLCCs), who are responsible for the
smoothing of the CPU core voltage can be deformed and stimulate the entire
motherboard to vibrate.
It's called coil whine, and it happens on (all, some are worse than others) inductors/chokes (same thing, different names depending on the use), usually when pushing high amounts through them. Them being the black boxes that are in the VRM circuitry. It's what caused the whine on the R9 Nano.

Reactions: Soul_Est