Concept 5L - 120mm AIO, Flex ATX

xcrco

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 16, 2017
/ thanks for the detailed explainations, though I have an idea with pico psu and hd plex since I currently use them on my builds. thanks. learn new things everyday

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
If it had built in HDplex 160 support, you'd have a buyer.

HDPLEX 160 requires like another 10mm of the case which I won't compromise on. You should be able to fit something like the 160XT though.

So another update. I've changed the way it'll be constructed. Moved Flex ATX PSU to the top of the case. Reduced CPU cooler clearance to 70mm (NH-L12S).

Lone Industry is possibly resuming the product of the L4 (or possibly L5) revision, so depending on if he's set to resume production, I may put this project on hiatus.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
HDPLEX 160 requires like another 10mm of the case which I won't compromise on. You should be able to fit something like the 160XT though.

So another update. I've changed the way it'll be constructed. Moved Flex ATX PSU to the top of the case. Reduced CPU cooler clearance to 70mm (NH-L12S).

Lone Industry is possibly resuming the product of the L4 (or possibly L5) revision, so depending on if he's set to resume production, I may put this project on hiatus.

I meant the AC-DC 160, not the DC-atx.

T1M3W4LK3R

Case Bender
Aug 28, 2018

Cannot wait to be your very first customer....i looking for this design like a decade and i spent like 40 bucks for similar geeek a20... it is not bad but i want something make from aluminium...so count on me dude.

Reactions: cleveland

dcbn

Average Stuffer
Aug 20, 2018
Right. However Jolokia is 7L. For this case, and my future designs, I will be taking a very "pure" stance. The cases will be simple and straight forward. They will not beyond the standard footprint of a itx mobo+gpu. That is just the design constraint I'm taking, to carve out my own design language.

However, my second design will be a 5.6L case. It'll have space for an SFX psu, as well as adapter for an Flex psu. It'll still have room for a 80mm topflow cooler, or possibly a 92mm tower cooler if the CPU socket is in the right place! Yet it'll fit full height dual slot gpu. If you absolutely want the flex atx support without compromise, the next case is your best bet.

However, this case release shortly after my 12V solution, so I'll make it easy to still power it without compromise. Perhaps even bundle a 12V kit.
Hello. :)

If possible, can you please share the dimensions of both concepts? (Just so I can "try" to fit some components.)

Thank you for your attention and your help.
I'm sorry for any inconvenience.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Hello. :)

If possible, can you please share the dimensions of both concepts? (Just so I can "try" to fit some components.)

Thank you for your attention and your help.

The 4L case is about 254mm (h) x 84mm (w) x 180mm (depth). This is the internal dimensions, which I base the enclosure around.

The 6L case is about 220mm (h) x 140mm (w) x 180mm (depth).

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Cannot wait to be your very first customer....i looking for this design like a decade and i spent like 40 bucks for similar geeek a20... it is not bad but i want something make from aluminium...so count on me dude.

You're already following the Lone industry case, but as you know, it depends on whether lone continues with his project or not. My design is on hiatus. I may pick it up even if lone produces his case, if I find that there are valuable features to add.

dcbn

Average Stuffer
Aug 20, 2018
The 4L case is about 254mm (h) x 84mm (w) x 180mm (depth). This is the internal dimensions, which I base the enclosure around.

The 6L case is about 220mm (h) x 140mm (w) x 180mm (depth).
Thank you for your answer and your help.

In the 6L layout did you place the PSU in the top or down of the case?

(I'm thinking of building a custom acrylic case - considering manufacturing with aluminum or steel will be expensive - with similar dimensions, I'll probably use the following components: z370n, i7 8700K, 16GB, 500GB m.2, SF450, and Gigabyte 1080 mini. What do you think?)

Thank you for your help and your attention.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Thank you for your answer and your help.

In the 6L layout did you place the PSU in the top or down of the case?

(I'm thinking of building a custom acrylic case - considering manufacturing with aluminum or steel will be expensive - with similar dimensions, I'll probably use the following components: z370n, i7 8700K, 16GB, 500GB m.2, SF450, and Gigabyte 1080 mini. What do you think?)

Thank you for your help and your attention.

The PSU is above the motherboard, similar to the LZ7 layout.

If you decide to make your own, it will end up being quite expensive still, but the experience can be fun and challenging.

For a Gigabyte 1080 Mini, I recommend expanding the width, to 145mm internal. You would need custom cables to keep it tidy as well.

dcbn

Average Stuffer
Aug 20, 2018
If you decide to make your own, it will end up being quite expensive still, but the experience can be fun and challenging.
I'd lovely make my own aluminum or steel case, but there is not even a single company in my city that can manufacture it.
For a Gigabyte 1080 Mini, I recommend expanding the width, to 145mm internal. You would need custom cables to keep it tidy as well.
That was the exact dimension I was thinking, thank you anyway!
The PSU is above the motherboard, similar to the LZ7 layout.
Do you mean like this or like that?

Thank you for all your help and your attention! :)

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I'd lovely make my own aluminum or steel case, but there is not even a single company in my city that can manufacture it.

That was the exact dimension I was thinking, thank you anyway!

Do you mean like this or like that?

Thank you for all your help and your attention! :)

Like "this"

dcbn

Average Stuffer
Aug 20, 2018
Like "this"
That's fine, I'm still debating between doing a similar layout like LZ7 and L4 (with some modifications to fit an SFX PSU).

Anyway, thank you for your help and your attention.
I wish all the best on your project, even If you decide to not do it right now (considering what you have said about Lone).

Have a wonderful time. :)

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
That's fine, I'm still debating between doing a similar layout like LZ7 and L4 (with some modifications to fit an SFX PSU).

Anyway, thank you for your help and your attention.
I wish all the best on your project, even If you decide to not do it right now (considering what you have said about Lone).

Have a wonderful time. :)

You could try protocase to make your own design if you don't have anybody local.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
New layout. For my second project, I am trying to differentiate from L4. I will likely revisit a design similar to L4 in the future, but I'd like a design that i can also use as a daily driver.

This design uses a riser, and increases volume to 5L. What's new?
  • Up to 84mm CPU cooler with LP or reference height GPU.
  • FLEX ATX support
  • Up to 38mm CPU cooler with tall GPU
  • 120mm AIO support
  • 1x 2.5 SSD with FLEX ATX
  • 3x 2.5 SSD with no FLEX ATX

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
New layout. For my second project, I am trying to differentiate from L4. I will likely revisit a design similar to L4 in the future, but I'd like a design that i can also use as a daily driver.

This design uses a riser, and increases volume to 5L. What's new?
  • Up to 84mm CPU cooler with LP or reference height GPU.
  • FLEX ATX support
  • Up to 38mm CPU cooler with tall GPU
  • 120mm AIO support
  • 1x 2.5 SSD with FLEX ATX
  • 3x 2.5 SSD with no FLEX ATX

What's the dimension?

dcbn

Average Stuffer
Aug 20, 2018

Got pretty far today with the vents and rest of the placement. I'll be sending it off to prototype in November.
That's a good idea-design.

Do you mind telling me which program you are using to design/render?

Thank you!