Concept 5L - 120mm AIO, Flex ATX

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Original design on pause, see page 2 for updated layout. Original post as follows.

Hello guys. I am working on getting a 4L case designed and made.

Specs:
ITX + LP Dual Slot
CPU Cooler: Max cooler height 80mm
GPU: Full Length, Dual Slot, LP (1050 ti)
PSU: Meanwell 2x4 12V/24V; External Brick
SSD: 2x 2.5 with bracket, and single 2.5 in front
Case Fans: single slim 92mm or dual slim 80mm on top (bottom can fit 92/80mm, depends on GPU)
Expected release: Summer 2019

It does take influence from Lone Industries L4. It is a bit taller and can comfortably fit a NH-L12S with room for breathing. You can also use a NH-L9x65 + Meanwell 2x4 (depends on board layout)

If this is successful, I will also make a sandwich layout variant.
--------------
Stage:
  1. Concept <== We are here
  2. Manufacturing Feedback
  3. Prototype
  4. Revision
  5. Product awareness // reviews
  6. Production Run
  7. Marketing, packaging
  8. Market Release

Last edited:

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016
This is the case i was waiting for!

Also, if I may suggest you one feature, make the case compatible with 1U PSUs. @Aibohphobia did it with his project Jolokia and i think that was the most successful move he made with that case.

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016
Would you be willing to sacrifice cooler height or gpu space?
Most of the good brands of GPU have LP models that match exactly the ITX frame (170mm).

@Aibohphobia put his PSU in front and that was a huge success. Top quality components without compromising nor GPU, neither cooler height.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Most of the good brands of GPU have LP models that match exactly the ITX frame (170mm).

@Aibohphobia put his PSU in front and that was a huge success. Top quality components without compromising nor GPU, neither cooler height.

Right. However Jolokia is 7L. For this case, and my future designs, I will be taking a very "pure" stance. The cases will be simple and straight forward. They will not beyond the standard footprint of a itx mobo+gpu. That is just the design constraint I'm taking, to carve out my own design language.

However, my second design will be a 5.6L case. It'll have space for an SFX psu, as well as adapter for an Flex psu. It'll still have room for a 80mm topflow cooler, or possibly a 92mm tower cooler if the CPU socket is in the right place! Yet it'll fit full height dual slot gpu. If you absolutely want the flex atx support without compromise, the next case is your best bet.

However, this case release shortly after my 12V solution, so I'll make it easy to still power it without compromise. Perhaps even bundle a 12V kit.

Last edited:
Reactions: cleveland

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016
Right. However Jolokia is 7L. For this case, and my future designs, I will be taking a very "pure" stance.

Well, i guess you've found a customer. What i'm about to say is my humble point of view, so take it with a grain of salt:

I like your case cause it was made with simplicity in mind. No PCIe extenders, no weird combo of 5 boards for power distribution, no electrical hijaking. "Simplicity". Like "plug in your small shit and go f*cking use it". Also, the SFF community doesn't seem to give enough love to the LP GPUs. I mean, 10 years ago, LP GPUs were all a bunch of crap, but, nowadays, LP GPUs can power decent small machines, fully 1080p capable!

I guess that's it. As long as i feel you're inclined to receive feedback, you can count on one case sold.

Last edited:

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Well, i guess you've found a customer. What i'm about to say is my humble point of view, so take it with a grain of salt:

I like your case cause it was made with simplicity in mind. No PCIe extenders, no weird combo of 5 boards for power distribution, no electrical hijaking. "Simplicity". Like "plug in your small shit and go f*cking use it". Also, the SFF community doesn't seem to give enough love to the LP GPUs. I mean, 10 years ago, LP GPUs were all a bunch of crap, but, nowadays, LP GPUs can power decent small machines, fully 1080p capable!

I guess that's it. As long as i feel you're inclined to receive feedback, you can count on one case sold.

Good to hear I'm not alone.

I have another reason for this constraint: I want people to approach this case as a challenge. Sometimes necessity breeds creativity.

No, you don't need anything fancy... An SFX psu will do just fine. You still got 60mm of headroom afterwards... But what about a custom water cooler? 12v distro board and a tower cooler in 5.5L? Heck, push and pull and a flex atx.

And yes, I did find an AIO that will fit in the 4L case. Its the rosewill sp120.

Post case release, I will be supporting the community with free to download 3d printed bracket (while offering printing service for them myself).

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
Last edited:

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
The 1050 Ti doesn't require 75W, overclocked up the vazoo maybe https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050-ti,4787-6.html but otherwise it's just 70W and less. The i5 8400 is 50W https://www.anandtech.com/show/1185...-lake-review-8700k-and-8400-initial-numbers/5 the Z370 is 6W, an SSD is less than 10W, a 150W PSU is enough. There isn't a lot to spare but these are all peak numbers.

The 8400 might be only 50 at gaming loads. It is closer to 80W. But you're absolutely correct 150W will satisfy most builds.

But there will always be that one guy, who will cram an 8700k and try to OC it to 5ghz. Because he can.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I second @cleveland's suggestion to add support for a Flex ATX PSU in your 4L case.

Have it oriented on one of its short sides and sitting right below the GPU in the GPU side chamber, 80mm plus the 60-odd mm LP GPU. It's very possible to do this without increasing the size of your case. I have seen proof of this in a case I saw in Taobao. Let me see if I can find it.

Edit: found it. Just some inspriation: Dual chamber design of ZS-A4DC, a 3.9L case. Note the Flex ATX bracket right next to LP bracket.

Last edited:

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I second @cleveland's suggestion to add support for a Flex ATX PSU in your 4L case.

Have it oriented on one of its short sides and sitting right below the GPU in the GPU side chamber, 80mm plus the 60-odd mm LP GPU. It's very possible to do this without increasing the size of your case. I have seen proof of this in a case I saw in Taobao. Let me see if I can find it.

Edit: found it. Just some inspriation: Dual chamber design of ZS-A4DC, a 3.9L case. Note the Flex ATX bracket right next to LP bracket.

In the ZS-A4DC, It is a back to back layout. I'm using a regular layout, no PCIe extender (like L4) as part of my "pure" design philosophy. I'm still looking into ways to integrate a FLEX PSU. Right now, at the minimum it'll be integrated to above the CPU cooler, but it means you're limited to ~40mm height.

Coolers below 40mm include: NH-L9, CNPS2X, AR04, AR05, IS-25, Kozuti, Scythe Jitte, and a bunch of dynatron ones.

I will also support meanwell RPS-200-12-C, with available cable kits to make it a very easy installation. The case should release along side the 200W PicoPSU unit as well.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Mini cases with LP slots and cheap price (20-50$) are very popular in Taobao, you may consider to add some special functions for your case.

It will have good quality, fit, finish, and supported by a community member. I think that's pretty special. You can't compare pricing for product from a country with much lower cost of living than the US (where this is based in). And even with the cheaper pricing, people certainly are not rushing to buy alternative DAN Case and other products. Good support and getting their products without a fuss are values people will to pay for.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
In the ZS-A4DC, It is a back to back layout. I'm using a regular layout, no PCIe extender (like L4) as part of my "pure" design philosophy. I'm still looking into ways to integrate a FLEX PSU. Right now, at the minimum it'll be integrated to above the CPU cooler, but it means you're limited to ~40mm height.

Coolers below 40mm include: NH-L9, CNPS2X, AR04, AR05, IS-25, Kozuti, Scythe Jitte, and a bunch of dynatron ones.

I will also support meanwell RPS-200-12-C, with available cable kits to make it a very easy installation. The case should release along side the 200W PicoPSU unit as well.

I don't think I've seen a case for a LP card that puts the Flex PSU above the cooler, so yours might be the first. You can also try it for your later sandwich case layout :)

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I don't think I've seen a case for a LP card that puts the Flex PSU above the cooler, so yours might be the first. You can also try it for your later sandwich case layout :)

We will see. The FLEX PSU above the motherboard just make it damn simple. I also hope to make Meanwell RPS-200-12-C integrated well enough that the cable mess of a flex atx PSU is not worth it, for the slight cost difference.

The sandwich one will be GPU above the motherboard, instead of back to back. Thermally it won't perform as well, unless you use an external PSU and a 545LC or something exotic. But we'll see when we get there.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I am working on the side bracket right now.

This is the main side bracket and here's what I'm looking to support:
  • 2x 2.5SSD on bracket Or Meanwell 200W
  • 140mm, or 120mm + meanwell/2.5SSD
  • 3.5 HDD
There will also be an additional top bracket to support SSDs, but it will block the use of a top fan. The top bracket will likely be 3D printed to save cost.

Also, the chassis width will be increased to 100mm. This will give you 85mm of cooler clearance, allow you to fit a NH-L12S with top fan. I still recommend the NH-L12 regular edition since you don't want the fan next to the side panel.

If you have any suggestions please feel free to comment. I'd like to provide as much support through the side bracket as possible.

Last edited:

xcrco

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 16, 2017
so how can we go about a meanwell psu? is this also a flex psu? just a different branding? sorry not that technical. hoping this coulde be readily available and accessible on parts. eventhough Im in overseases a flex psu can be quite a hassle to look locally though can be ordered in newegg us. I heard it before but cant be bothered since I dont ise it specifically on my builds. If the meanwell will have thinkering / soldering , that has to specifically made. then that is even a long shot for a lone L4 alternative.

For me as a normal consumer we go for portability because it is can be carried anywhere, it does what is expected, and can handle light gaming. it is simple. simple is good it makes us for normal consumers to hunt for parts on a very niche community.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
so how can we go about a meanwell psu? is this also a flex psu? just a different branding? sorry not that technical. hoping this coulde be readily available and accessible on parts. eventhough Im in overseases a flex psu can be quite a hassle to look locally though can be ordered in newegg us. I heard it before but cant be bothered since I dont ise it specifically on my builds. If the meanwell will have thinkering / soldering , that has to specifically made. then that is even a long shot for a lone L4 alternative.

For me as a normal consumer we go for portability because it is can be carried anywhere, it does what is expected, and can handle light gaming. it is simple. simple is good it makes us for normal consumers to hunt for parts on a very niche community.

Flex ATX would your best bet as far as just a simple build go.

Meanwells are AC-DC 12V PSU, and are paired with "picoPSU" or "Plugin DC Board." If you want to know if you can get it, search for RPS-200-12-C. It sold through mouser.de, mouser.com, digikey, etc and many other distributors worldwide.

You will need this:

and this

And 2 cable harnesses to use power your system. I will be providing these as a kit so you don't have to source from difference places and have to make your own cables.

Reactions: xcrco