CPU 5800x3D

Runamok81

Runner of Moks
Jul 27, 2015
troywitthoeft.com
@Draco25240 - Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting this detailed info! This is why this forum rocks! I am in a very similar situation. Same motherboard, same chip, and first time undervolting Ryzen. So much to learn! This helps.

We've got the same setup, but I am going to dig a bit deeper because I've got a noctua L9a which can't cool as quickly as the black ridge.

For comparison, I followed your PPT, TDC, and EDC settings and on an open bench, I got scores a touch lower while running about 2-4C hotter. So I can understand those PPT, TDC, and EDC settings, do you have a link or guide you used?

Have you tried the desktop PBO tool from the overclock forum thread? That makes things interesting!

Piggy-backing off your settings, I started undervolting using the PBO tool. I set all cores at -20 and ran cinebench. Was cooler and scores jumped. Took it -30 all core, and scores jumped and cooler still. I've tested as low as -50 and cinebench still completed fine (14.5K and 85C).

Right now, I just need to know how low is too low? From Google, I learned that UV errors (locks, bluescreens) only show on low loads over long periods of time, not stress testing. I understand that -30 is a deep cut. So, -50 can't be stable, right?

Currently searching for a tool that lets me know how deep I can go. I have seen a few recommendations for OCCT for stability testing UVs. https://www.ocbase.com/

With that tool, I have completed 1hr stress tests at -50 and no errors. I want to think I've got golden silicon, but more likely, I am naively missing something. How to know UV is stable? Will keep testing, and report here ...

Last edited:

Draco25240

Efficiency Noob
Apr 26, 2022
Messed a bit around with the PBO2 Tool today, results seem promising. All runs done at 120 PPT, 75 TDC and 110 EDC (the setting that provided the highest score without throttling for me)
  • Highest without: 14,388 with a max temp of 87.6 (CCD1 at 88.5)
  • All-core -10: 14,626 with a max temp of 85.5 (CCD1 at 87.0)
  • All-core -20: 14,808 (1.3% from stock) with a max temp of 82.4 (CCD1 at 84.0)
  • All-core -30: 14,919 with a max temp of 80.4 (CCD1 at 81.0), just 0.5% from stock
Might be able to push this above 15,000 if I raise some power limits again; might try some day but I don't feel a huge need for it, scores are 1% from stock and thermals are great.

I also did a bit of 3DMark TimeSpy. Baseline score seems to be 11,250-ish, and it increased by 100 per -10 in CO, using the same PBO settings.

Overall pretty happy about getting this close to the stock score with good temps despite a 47mm cooler.
I'm somewhat doubting that all -30 is truly stable though, so gonna have to run some long duration tests with OCCT or/and CoreCycler to verify how high I can go and remain stable.

---------------------

@Runamok81
Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting this detailed info!
Happy to help :) Glad to hear it's working out for you too

So I can understand those PPT, TDC, and EDC settings, do you have a link or guide you used?
Not on hand, mostly just random googling for what were good PBO values for the 5800X, I figured they'd apply well to the 5800X3D too.
88/60/90 was just googling for what the stock values for the 5600X were.
120/75/110 I got from here, and a few other random results suggested it as a sweet spot for the 5800X.
From there I just did a few +5s and -5s to the different values to how it impacted the result in Cinebench, temperatures, and % of PBO limit readings from hwinfo. Did maybe around 10 different tests in that area, and ended up with 120/70/105 as the best balance between thermals and performance (most other things in that area were +5 C hotter but only 0.1% better)

Have you tried the desktop PBO tool from the overclock forum thread? That makes things interesting!
Did so earlier today, just before you posted the comment. Results are above in this comment.

As for -50 and that, no idea. It's my understanding that the PBO2 Tool doesn't go below -30 no matter what you put into it, but not 100% sure on that, I just vaguely recall that I might have read it somewhere, so take with a grain of salt.
As for testing stability, I'm no expert, but I've seen CoreCycler referred to a fair bit for testing long-term stability, so feel free to try that as well.

Reactions: scatterforce

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
I’ve got one coming in soon. I’ll be pairing it with a Mjolner case and 120mm AIO.

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Yikes, that will be quite the combo to manage.

It might be, but I’m a bit more tolerant of hotter temps than most. AMD rates their chips to sit at 90C or 95C all day long. It feels wrong, but chip design has changed a lot.

Reactions: REVOCCASES

Runamok81

Runner of Moks
Jul 27, 2015
troywitthoeft.com
I've got my 5800X3D dialed in and installed. I'm a bit crazy trying to cool it in a 4L case with with the Noctua L9A, but so far it is working out.
Some images from my build log. Check it out if you are curious!

makoto14

Chassis Packer
Jul 19, 2021
picked up a 5800x3d today. it was in stock when i went to pick up some thermal compound so i kind of bought it on a whim. I put it in a ASUS Crossfire Impact board sitting on a open bench and updated the BIOS, everything works at stock no problem. (AMD is amazing that a 3d chiplet CPU released in 2022 works on a 2019 board) at stock chip is hot as hell even running on decent air cooling, easily hitting the 85-88 degrees on a twin 120mm Deepcool ak620 running at 1200 RPM. Clocks leveled out to about 4.3ghz.

Messed with ASUS bios, was not able to change PBO in BIOS. Was able to set PBO to manual and put in values, but they would not stick when the system booted. Curb optimizer is not even shown in BIOS, but CPU VCORE offset was working. Put in -0.1 volts for kicks. Went from cinebench R23 MC of 14,300 at stock to about 13,600 at -0.1 volts. Fan ran at 800 rpms or silent and temps dropped to 75-77 degree range. HWinfo is saying its consuming 80-90 watts during a cinebench r23 run. clocks were around 4ghz all core.

thats all i could do on a Friday night before i passed out. Will take some time this weekend to really mess with it. If all goes well maybe i put it in the K39/Blackridge for kicks if the gigabyte b550i board lets me make voltage offsets in BIOS. at best blackridge is a 95w cooler, but my K39 has no cable management and PSU cables are everywhere. its going to interesting to see how much hot air the blackridge can push out.

Last edited:

Draco25240

Efficiency Noob
Apr 26, 2022
picked up a 5800x3d today. it was in stock when i went to pick up some thermal compound so i kind of bought it on a whim. I put it in a ASUS Crossfire Impact board sitting on a open bench and updated the BIOS, everything works at stock no problem. (AMD is amazing that a 3d chiplet CPU released in 2022 works on a 2019 board) at stock chip is hot as hell even running on decent air cooling, easily hitting the 85-88 degrees on a twin 120mm Deepcool ak620 running at 1200 RPM. Clocks leveled out to about 4.3ghz.

Messed with ASUS bios, was not able to change PBO in BIOS. Was able to set PBO to manual and put in values, but they would not stick when the system booted. Curb optimizer is not even shown in BIOS, but CPU VCORE offset was working. Put in -0.1 volts for kicks. Went from cinebench R23 MC of 14,300 at stock to about 13,600 at -0.1 volts. Fan ran at 800 rpms or silent and temps dropped to 75-77 degree range. HWinfo is saying its consuming 80-90 watts during a cinebench r23 run. clocks were around 4ghz all core.

thats all i could do on a Friday night before i passed out. Will take some time this weekend to really mess with it. If all goes well maybe i put it in the K39/Blackridge for kicks if the gigabyte b550i board lets me make voltage offsets in BIOS. at best blackridge is a 95w cooler, but my K39 has no cable management and PSU cables are everywhere. its going to interesting to see how much hot air the blackridge can push out.
Interesting... It definitely works on the B550-I at least, and I know I've seen it work on other Asus boards too, but this is the first time I've seen it not work on one... Just curious, what BIOS version are you running?
As for Curve Optimizer, it's not done in BIOS. Use the PBO2 Tuner tool from here. You can make it auto-apply the settings on Windows startup by adding a scheduled task on startup that applies your desired settings. Mine is set to run the following on boot:

Code:
'C:\Users\[name]\Desktop\PBO2 Tuner CLI\PBO2 tuner.exe' -20 -20 -20 -20 -20 -20 -20 -20

makoto14

Chassis Packer
Jul 19, 2021
well i ended up with a -0.08v offset, cinebench r23 MC is running at 14100, 4.1ghz all core clock, 90-100w of power consumption. Gigabyte b550i was a no go, voltage offset didnt work, it was greyout in BIOS, curb optimizer was hidden.

hopefully stuff like this will push all the mobo vendors to unlock the features across all boards. I really dont like messing with my system outside of BIOS. it annoys me i have to set a undervolt using Afterburner or Radeon software. Wish I could set that in BIOS somehow too. Going to run this on my main computer with a 3080. Seems like a waste to run this on the K39 when you cant get a high end GPU to pair it with. But yeah from what i have seen, if you give it -0.1 volts or more, easily could run this chip in a 4L SFF PC.

My ASUS x570 board was running BIOS version 4201 on AGESA 1.2.0.7

I look forward to @Revenant leaving his children and providing temps for the 120mm AIO.

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
well i ended up with a -0.08v offset, cinebench r23 MC is running at 14100, 4.1ghz all core clock, 90-100w of power consumption. Gigabyte b550i was a no go, voltage offset didnt work, it was greyout in BIOS, curb optimizer was hidden.

hopefully stuff like this will push all the mobo vendors to unlock the features across all boards. I really dont like messing with my system outside of BIOS. it annoys me i have to set a undervolt using Afterburner or Radeon software. Wish I could set that in BIOS somehow too. Going to run this on my main computer with a 3080. Seems like a waste to run this on the K39 when you cant get a high end GPU to pair it with. But yeah from what i have seen, if you give it -0.1 volts or more, easily could run this chip in a 4L SFF PC.

My ASUS x570 board was running BIOS version 4201 on AGESA 1.2.0.7

I look forward to @Revenant leaving his children and providing temps for the 120mm AIO.

Sorry I never got around to answering that. I built it up, but the motherboard died. Then it took me a while to get time to build it back up. I got it finished up yesterday and put it in my living room.

System specs: 5800X3D, 6900XT, Asus X570i, Thorzone Mjolnir case.

The Mjolnir is a fairly restrictive case, and a lot of the airflow is hampered by internal cables. That said it will spike up to thermal limits, but spends most of its time below that.

Gaming load gave me a package temp of 82C, CCD Temp of 79C, and max core temp of 69C. That means with the cpu fan pretty much running at 80 to 100%.

I think I’m going to try to get it up and running on a L9A next.

Reactions: Phuncz