468 mini retro build in InWin Chopin

iPeg

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Apr 28, 2018
Hi guys,

I was lurking on this board a few weeks ago and decided to build sth small and fun. I saw how many people used the InWin Chopin for SFF builds and realized, when lying sideways, it reminded me a bit of my first PC, a black 486 desktop. So I build a Ryzen 2200 retro PC that would run all my old (and not so old) games inside an InWin Chopin and 3D printed a custom front panel, that made it look like my old PC. This is the finished project:

The only really "custom" part of this PC is the front panel, which I modelled in Autodesk Fusion based on the Chopin front case. LEDs, Power button and USB/Audio us the same mounts so everything just snaps right in.

It was 3D Printed in polyamide by i.Materialise and was almost plug&play. I made a few measurement mistakes that I fixed with a knife and superglue. I could have also printed it again, but one print costs about 80€.

The power button is functional and is printed in one piece with the panel. The CD drive and Floppy drive are obviously decoration, as the case is scale 1:2. The Chopins HDD led is behind the floppy LED and flashes nicely. I used a piece of green foil to make it glow green as the original LED is white.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Very nice! Fusion is in my book, the best cad software. This looks awesome. If you posted the cad file in the resources section, others could replicate this awesome pc.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
That is very cool and very well done. I love how you included the floppy and cd drives and the power button is functional. :thumb:

iPeg

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Apr 28, 2018
That is very cool and very well done. I love how you included the floppy and cd drives and the power button is functional. :thumb:

The cool thing with 3D printing in polyamide is that you can have very fine gaps (though there are limits to wall thickness) and it behaves like normal plastic. So the button „floats“ inside a hole and is hinged on a solid piece that bends.

Very nice! Fusion is in my book, the best cad software. This looks awesome. If you posted the cad file in the resources section, others could replicate this awesome pc.

I would love to but it needs fixing first and my trial ran out. I‘ll try to upload the STEP file with a description of the mistakes

Reactions: Biowarejak

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
The cool thing with 3D printing in polyamide is that you can have very fine gaps (though there are limits to wall thickness) and it behaves like normal plastic. So the button „floats“ inside a hole and is hinged on a solid piece that bends.

I would love to but it needs fixing first and my trial ran out. I‘ll try to upload the STEP file with a description of the mistakes
You do realize the fusion is free for Hobbyists and businesses under 100k a year, right?
Thanks windfall

iPeg

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Apr 28, 2018
You do realize the fusion is free for Hobbyists and businesses under 100k a year, right?
Thanks windfall

Seriously? I thought it was a 30d trial and a 40$ subscription. But you’re right, there is in fact a hobbyist section on the Autodesk website. Will investigate.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Seriously? I thought it was a 30d trial and a 40$ subscription. But you’re right, there is in fact a hobbyist section on the Autodesk website. Will investigate.
Yup, free. I'm glad Autodesk is showing some love for the small guys. Makes it easier to jump in.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I was constantly looking back and forth between the floppy drive and the USB ports as well as the rest of the case, because it's so well done it confuses my brain in thinking it's huge and small at the same time. Well done !

Reactions: Biowarejak

jaruri

Caliper Novice
Feb 15, 2018
Incredible!

Love it, but oof that printing cost is rough. Costs as much as the case itself!