News 3D XPoint Memory

MJVR1

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2015
One thing I always envied of my sisters laptop is that it boots to the desktop in less than 10 seconds, using a sshd. I've never been able to replicate this using a standard SSD drive. If this Xpoint SSD can achieve this, im definetly gonna look into buying one.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
A cleanly installed modern OS, fast-boot configured UEFI and decent SSD will make that possible.
But I'm looking forward to Xpoint, until then I'm looking forward to the Samsung 950 Pro NVMe PCIe SSD.

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
May 11, 2015
I had actually forgotten about 3D XPoint until stumbling upon this. Glad I did, it's postponed my plans of any SDD purchases until 2016.

I'm finding boot times on Z170 to be fairly mediocre, but I haven't touched the UEFI at all other than setting XMP thus far. Chances are there there is some tweaking to be done (fast boot + reduce splash screen times etc). I do recall seeing reports that this isn't an unusual occurrence on Z170 though. It's odd though, since the unusually long load times of X99 received some flak of a "rushed release" feel.

For reference, the rig is using Win10 on a Samsung 840 Evo 512GB - just switched it over from the Samsung 840 Pro 256GB.

Last edited:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Even enabling onboard LAN option ROM can lengthen the UEFI boot time by 5 seconds on its own easily, along with being able to boot from USB devices or other devices like ODD or HDD.