News New PCIe-based Samsung SSDs

Samsung Announces TCO-Optimized, High-Performance SSDs; PM1633, PM1725 and PM953

Samsung has announced three TCO-optimized, high-performance SSDs--the PM1633, PM1725 and PM953--adding to its portfolio of advanced enterprise and data center SSDs. Built specifically for OEMs, the company’s new SSDs all leverage Samsung’s 3-bit MLC V-NAND flash memory to offer superior performance and reliability in high capacities points. Yesterday, Samsung had announced the mass production of their 256Gb 3D V-NAND flash memory based on 48 layers of 3-bit MLC arrays for use in SSDs.

Read more: StorageReview

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
The PM953 seems to replace the SM951, which was the first NVMe M.2 SSD with the full PCIe bandwidth possible (PCIe 3.0 x4) for M.2.
Although these are yet again OEM drives, I'm hoping these will show up in "retail", unlike the very rare SM951 NVMe model.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
While I don't have an issue with the 110mm length because of the daughterboard setup on the Asus VII Impact, I can see this as a problem for many mITX owners. Often these have the 2280 type (80mm) as a limit. While I was expecting 2280 to become the more popular norm, I've seen some 22110 type M.2's come from Flash Summit 2015 making me think 22110 is going to be utilized more than I would have expected.

The power loss protection is welcome, with more than just unexpected power loss or shutdown scenarios causing a corrupted allocation table.

Also, according to TechReport and a few others, the 2,5" version of the PM953 is a SATA Express model.
So there is atleast one SATA Express storage device in existance.